PDA

View Full Version : APS-C lens for 7D Mark II?

danhendo888
07-05-2016, 6:23pm
Hi,

When deciding on a telephoto lens, should I be focusing on putting a quality APSC lens on an APSC body, and a full frame lens to match a full frame body?
If I get a full frame lens for an APSC body like the 7D Mark II, how will I know that that combination will deliver sharp results?

I am currently looking at something like the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II or a Tamron SP AF 70-200MM F2.8 VC USD depending on which camera I get (7D MII or 5D MIII).

ricktas
07-05-2016, 7:16pm
Just be careful with lens choices. Some of the Canon members might be able to define it our more, but Canon does not make all lenses interchangeable between crop sizes lenses and full frame lenses. In some cases the lens just wont fit, or can damage the mirror (from my understanding). I think EF-S has something to do with it, and I hope some Canon user will enlighten you (and me) further.

Mark L
07-05-2016, 9:30pm
All Canon lenses will work with APSC body.
Not all Canon lenses will work on a FF body.
All Canon lenses will work fine on a 7D Mark II.
EF-S lenses are not recommended for use on FF body.
How much do you want to spend?:D

Morgo
07-05-2016, 10:02pm
What do you want to do with it?
Also as mentioned whats the budget as there is quite a price difference between bodies and the lenses mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

This could be worth considering

http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/sigma-50-100mm-f-1.8-dc-hsm-art-lens-for-canon.html

danhendo888
07-05-2016, 11:43pm
How much do you want to spend?:D

I'm still in the research process as I'm just starting out, but my budget depends on how much it would cost to achieve what I want.
I found some photos from Google similar to the types of photos that I want: indoor lighting, taken from a distance and has nice bokeh.

1. http://goo.gl/NXyYFH
2. http://goo.gl/OZ1eyf
3. http://goo.gl/mmUceS

I've been reading on the 70D, 7DMII and 5DMIII.
With the lens, I could probably achieve the above for less than $1,500 (e.g. as per the lens mentioned below by Morgo)

What do you want to do with it?
Also as mentioned whats the budget as there is quite a price difference between bodies and the lenses mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

This could be worth considering

http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/sigma-50-100mm-f-1.8-dc-hsm-art-lens-for-canon.html

That lens looks good to me. Good constant aperture at a reasonable price made for an APSC body.

Most of my photos will be taken indoors of children playing sports (examples above)
I like the look of photos taken from a distance rather than close up.

Brian500au
08-05-2016, 1:21am
Keep it simple.

First work out your budget for the body and lens - then decide if you want to buy new or a good second hand model. I say this because depending on the model you can buy a camera body second hand for around 60 - 90% of new (even less if you buy a superseded model). Once you have a body, there is a chance this will come with a kit lens. If you are just starting out then I would suggest that is all you need to take the photos you have linked.

Once you have a couple of months under your belt and you are more aware of your distance to subject (and you have a body) you will be in a better position to call on help to decide which lens best suits your needs.

Just my 2c worth of advice.

Dug
08-05-2016, 2:50am
Hi,

When deciding on a telephoto lens, should I be focusing on putting a quality APSC lens on an APSC body, and a full frame lens to match a full frame body?
If I get a full frame lens for an APSC body like the 7D Mark II, how will I know that that combination will deliver sharp results?

Your wording of this question reminds me of a video I watched recently called "20 Things Most PHOTOGRAPHERS Get WRONG" more precisely item #10 of this list from the Tony and Chelsea Northrup You Tube channel.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsWGkUT5A_Y @ 18:10 minutes.

The assertion is that "pro" lenses are normally designed for the FF cameras of the range and therefore don't come under the same optical scrutiny as when fitted to an APSC camera that effectively magnifies any deficiencies in the middle area of a FF lens.
This is not an issue I have heard bought up before as a concern ( more often it is said that a crop camera will remove the soft edge sharpness of an EF lens), but I can see some validity to it in curtain cases.

They site the 24-70mmL mk1 on a 7D as a case in point. Not having tried this combo I can't say for sure, but it may be the case at its weakest apertures and focal lengths that there are better EFSC lenses that could be used on a crop camera than this one.
The 15-85mm EF-S would probably be the best place to look there over that range.

But I doubt any Canon L series prime lens would be an issue, nor any of the more current design issues of Canon L series zooms.
In the case of the zooms I say this because there was a noticeable step up in sharpness of zooms in the EF range perhaps marked best by the release of the Canon 24-70L mk11 in 2013 which I think even back then was in anticipation of a camera like the 5Ds with its 50 mega pixels this
would also bring EF lens sharpness under greater scrutiny than previously.

In fact Canon issued a list of recommended EF lenses for the 5DS and 5DS R cameras, which would make a good starting point also if you have any concerns with matching sharp EF lenses to the 7D mk2

Here it is:

Wide angle fixed focal lenses
TSE17mm f/4L
TSE24mm f/3.5L II
EF24mm f/1.4L II USM
EF24mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF28mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF35mm f/2 IS USM

Telephoto fixed focal length lenses
EF85mm f/1.2L II USM
EF85mm f/1.8 USM
TSE90mm f/2.8
EF100mm f/2 USM
EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
EF135mm f/2.0L USM
EF200mm f/2L II USM
EF200mm f/2.8L II USM
EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM
EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM
EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM
EF500mm f/4L IS II USM
EF600mm f/4L IS II USM
EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM

Standard fixed focal lenses
EF40mm f/2.8 STM
EF50mm f/1.2L USM
EF50mm f/1.4 USM
EF50mm f/1.8 II
EF50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro

Zoom lenses
EF8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM
EF11-24mm f/4L USM
EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
EF24-70mm f/4L IS USM
EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
EF70-200mm f/4L USM
EF70-300mm f/45.6L IS USM
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXTENDER 1.4x

Mark L
08-05-2016, 8:20pm
I found some photos from Google similar to the types of photos that I want: indoor lighting, taken from a distance and has nice bokeh.

1. http://goo.gl/NXyYFH
2. http://goo.gl/OZ1eyf
3. http://goo.gl/mmUceS

I've been reading on the 70D, 7DMII and 5DMIII.
With the lens, I could probably achieve the above for less than $1,500 (e.g. as per the lens mentioned below by Morgo)

That lens looks good to me.

That first photo was taken with a FF camera at 200mm. You'd need the 5D for that. As you say the Morgo suggested lens would work well on the 7DMII which has higher frames per second should handle higher ISO better than the 70D for what you want. AF would be better. $$$ count though.
Get the best possible lens and the lesser camera and upgrade that camera later, Or get the better camera so you get a better strike rate and don't loose interest in photography??

danhendo888
09-05-2016, 4:08pm
Keep it simple.

First work out your budget for the body and lens - then decide if you want to buy new or a good second hand model. I say this because depending on the model you can buy a camera body second hand for around 60 - 90% of new (even less if you buy a superseded model). Once you have a body, there is a chance this will come with a kit lens. If you are just starting out then I would suggest that is all you need to take the photos you have linked.

Once you have a couple of months under your belt and you are more aware of your distance to subject (and you have a body) you will be in a better position to call on help to decide which lens best suits your needs.

Just my 2c worth of advice.

That first photo was taken with a FF camera at 200mm. You'd need the 5D for that. As you say the Morgo suggested lens would work well on the 7DMII which has higher frames per second should handle higher ISO better than the 70D for what you want. AF would be better. $$$ count though.
Get the best possible lens and the lesser camera and upgrade that camera later, Or get the better camera so you get a better strike rate and don't loose interest in photography??

Ok I've narrowed my choice down between the 6D and the 7D Mark II.
(Also, why is it that the 6D produces sharper images in low light compared to the 7D Mark II?)

Yes, people will mention the faster autofocus on the 7D MII which is considered a camera for sports photography. And that they are different cameras for different purposes.
But I think the 6D is overall a better camera. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Note that most of my pictures will be used mainly for our website and facebook.
Also, if you check out the example photos above, I prefer taking photos of relatively still subjects (e.g. the martial arts students) so it's not like most of my subjects will be running around.

To be honest, I'd be happy to buy either camera. I think it's pretty close.
Hopefully, I will end up buying one this week and can finally starting shooting!

spootz01
10-05-2016, 11:49am
Personally, I would be doing one of two things in your situation; Picking up the 7DII right now. Or waiting for the 6DII. The 6D is very long in the tooth now so the older tech may leave you wanting in some situations.

For me the only advantage the 6D has over the 7DII is the Full Frame sensor. I know a couple of people who actually went from a 6D to a 7DII say the images they get in all lights are better overall (although slightly lacking on the Dynamic Range front) because of the newer sensor and AF system.

But as people have said above it is going to come down to what you are shooting. From the images above I would be choosing the 7DII due to its high ISO abilities, but that is all in the eye of the beholder.

Cage
10-05-2016, 2:19pm
I'm a Nikon shooter so I won't go into specifics.

However unless the 7D Mk II has some 'can't live without feature' I'd be going for the full frame 6D.

I just did a quick 'Google' comparing the two and in almost every instance the 6D came out on top. This was just one ... http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-6D-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III___977_836_795 It even topped the 5D MK III.

Decisions, decisions huh? :confused013

danhendo888
10-05-2016, 2:25pm
Personally, I would be doing one of two things in your situation; Picking up the 7DII right now. Or waiting for the 6DII. The 6D is very long in the tooth now so the older tech may leave you wanting in some situations.

I'm a Nikon shooter so I won't go into specifics.

However unless the 7D Mk II has some 'can't live without feature' I'd be going for the full frame 6D.

I am considering these two Nikon cameras too.

I was looking at the D610 and the D750 but I think the D750 is a bit too expensive for me and that I don't need it yet.

What are your thoughts on the D610 over the Canons and would these lenses be decent on it?:

- Nikon 50mm f/1.8G

And later down the track:

- Nikon 24-120mm f/4G VR
- Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Lens

Mark L
10-05-2016, 10:21pm
Note that most of my pictures will be used mainly for our website and facebook.

And what are your website and facebook for? Distributing to people who play and have an interest in what you're posting, or a wider audience somehow. Do you need to spend more $$$s for a limited audience?
Based on the photos you linked above a FF probably works but since every camera mentioned in this thread will deliver good photos, go to shop and decide what camera feels the best in your hands. Might be that simple.

Cage
10-05-2016, 11:27pm
I am considering these two Nikon cameras too.

I was looking at the D610 and the D750 but I think the D750 is a bit too expensive for me and that I don't need it yet.

What are your thoughts on the D610 over the Canons and would these lenses be decent on it?:

- Nikon 50mm f/1.8G

And later down the track:

- Nikon 24-120mm f/4G VR
- Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Lens

Good bit of advice from Mark if you haven't actually held any of the cameras in your hand as you must be comfortable with the camera if it is going to work for you. And as Mark also said there is not a great difference in the images produced by any of the aforementioned cameras.

The Nikon D610 is a good bit of kit (I had the D600) and is probably very comparable with the Canon 6D. The Nikon D750 is the new kid on the block and from what I've read it seems to be top of the heap in crop sensor cameras, particularly with high ISO performance.

What will make the biggest difference is the lens you decide on. The 50mm f1.8 is a good starter lens but you will quickly find it is neither wide enough nor long enough. I would suggest that something with a f2.8 aperture would stand you in good stead for the type of indoor shooting you will mainly be using it for. Don't think that you have to buy Canon or Nikon lens to get a quality product. I have two Tamron lens, the 24-70mm f2.8 and the 70-200mm f2.8, and they will stand up against anything the big brand names can produce, at about half the price. A good lens should last you two or three camera changes.

Something like the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 on either the Canon 6D or the Nikon D610 would put a smile on your face. :) Yes, I'd go with a full frame job.

But definitely get into someone like Ted's Cameras, or one of the other big camera retailers, and not only eyeball the gear, but also try it for size and comfort. It's a big decision and if you don't get it right if could be an expensive one.

Good luck.

PS: And be aware that there are still some old Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Macro lens floating around. They are a different beast. Make sure you look at the VC (Vibration Compensation) model.

Dug
11-05-2016, 1:09am
And what are your website and facebook for? Distributing to people who play and have an interest in what you're posting, or a wider audience somehow. Do you need to spend more $$$s for a limited audience?
Based on the photos you linked above a FF probably works but since every camera mentioned in this thread will deliver good photos, go to shop and decide what camera feels the best in your hands. Might be that simple.

+1

The D610 will have better numbers in the spec than the 6D. but both will give excellent results.

danhendo888
11-05-2016, 1:56pm

The Nikon D610 is a good bit of kit (I had the D600) and is probably very comparable with the Canon 6D. The Nikon D750 is the new kid on the block and from what I've read it seems to be top of the heap in crop sensor cameras, particularly with high ISO performance.

Something like the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 on either the Canon 6D or the Nikon D610 would put a smile on your face. :) Yes, I'd go with a full frame job.

But definitely get into someone like Ted's Cameras, or one of the other big camera retailers, and not only eyeball the gear, but also try it for size and comfort. It's a big decision and if you don't get it right if could be an expensive one.

Good luck.

PS: And be aware that there are still some old Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Macro lens floating around. They are a different beast. Make sure you look at the VC (Vibration Compensation) model.

Great idea to hold the cameras in person in store. Will try that.
Agree that the cameras mentioned here will be more than enough for my use and limited audience.
I guess I just want to ensure that I'm getting value for my money.
Anyway, I have decided to get the below combination:
- Nikon D750
- Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD

Cage
11-05-2016, 2:59pm
Great idea to hold the cameras in person in store. Will try that.
Agree that the cameras mentioned here will be more than enough for my use and limited audience.
I guess I just want to ensure that I'm getting value for my money.
Anyway, I have decided to get the below combination:
- Nikon D750
- Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD

That combo will blow your mind with the images it is capable of producing. :nod:

And in my previous post I referred to the D750 as a crop sensor model, which of course it isn't, but you knew that. I was thinking of the D500. :lol2:

danhendo888
11-05-2016, 5:36pm
That combo will blow your mind with the images it is capable of producing. :nod:

And in my previous post I referred to the D750 as a crop sensor model, which of course it isn't, but you knew that. I was thinking of the D500. :lol2:

Actually I was meant to confirm that with you but forgot to ask.

When it comes to extended warranty, do you purchase it when buying a camera body? Harvey Norman have 'replacement warranty' for the second year for instance ($200) where they will replace the camera if assessed as having a default (instead of repairing it) or give me the cost price of the camera as in store credit.

Cage
11-05-2016, 6:16pm
Actually I was meant to confirm that with you but forgot to ask.

When it comes to extended warranty, do you purchase it when buying a camera body? Harvey Norman have 'replacement warranty' for the second year for instance ($200) where they will replace the camera if assessed as having a default (instead of repairing it) or give me the cost price of the camera as in store credit.

If you buy from an authorised Nikon dealer https://mynikonlife.com.au/buy/nikon-australia-authorised-resellers/ and register with My Nikon Life, you will get an extended two year Nikon warranty. FREE !!! Guess the dude at HN forgot to mention that. :(

I personally would avoid the grey market sellers. For the two hundred odd bucks you may save up front, for me the peace of the peace of mind that a genuine warranty gives is well worth it. A quick check around showed this mob http://www.cameras.net.au/# the cheapest at $2150.00. And if you are buying a camera + lens, don't be afraid to haggle.

Mark L
11-05-2016, 9:07pm
Just forget all that stuff and buy the gear with the manufactures warranty. All that other stuff is just a way for others to get your $$$$. (get lost Gerry. Stop deceiving people.)
Cameras and lens these days are not prone to problems. A problem will show up before the manufactures warranty runs out.

danhendo888
11-05-2016, 9:34pm
If you buy from an authorised Nikon dealer https://mynikonlife.com.au/buy/nikon-australia-authorised-resellers/ and register with My Nikon Life, you will get an extended two year Nikon warranty. FREE !!! Guess the dude at HN forgot to mention that. :(

Thanks for that, just registered my product.

Just forget all that stuff and buy the gear with the manufactures warranty. All that other stuff is just a way for others to get your $$$$. (get lost Gerry. Stop deceiving people.)
Cameras and lens these days are not prone to problems. A problem will show up before the manufactures warranty runs out.

Glad I didn't get extended warranty.

Mary Anne
12-05-2016, 5:16am
Good to see you have settled on your camera gear at last.. And happy shooting.
Next very important step is To Insure it on your House and Contents Policy, as you will be using it away from your home get Portable Insurance also it does not cost much.
And Camera manufactures do not cover you dropping your camera, it getting stolen from your car or house, only manufacturing faults and some will fight you over that..

ricktas
12-05-2016, 6:49am
remember there is a difference between insurance and warranty. A warranty protects you from a manufacturing defect..nothing else. Save your money and get your gear insured. Then if you drop it, take it to the beach and it goes for a swim, you are covered (check the insurance policy conditions though before signing up).

camera brands.,, that is your choice alone. Just like what brand of car you have, it is a personal choice. Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax and more...
Camera body. What you get is going to be obsolete..soon. Brands bring out new models all the time, with more features and better sensors etc as tech improves. A camera body is a 'disposable' item these days. You buy a 7DII,, and in a few months there will be a 7DIII.. and then in a year or two a 7DIV.
Lenses: these can last your lifetime and more. The lens is often more important than the camera in getting good sharp results, without distortion, fringing etc. Invest in good lenses and keep them.

spootz01
12-05-2016, 9:59am
On the subject of insurance; for the love of god go to an insurance broker rather than shopping around yourself. I say this for two main reasons.

1. If you are up front and make them aware of what is important to you they will focus on that and only bring you offerings that definitely suit your needs meaning you dont have to wade through millions upon millions of lines of small print yourself.

2. The policies and covers they provide are astronomically superior to what is available to you on the direct market. take portables cover for example; a lot of the time that will cost you extra (a lot extra for cameras) through the direct market, whereas a policy obtained through an insurance broker will more than likely have that included for no additional charge.

Just thought an expert opinion on the matter might be of help to more than a few of you.

Cheers,

S.

danhendo888
12-05-2016, 10:59am
Next very important step is To Insure it on your House and Contents Policy, as you will be using it away from your home get Portable Insurance also it does not cost much.
And Camera manufactures do not cover you dropping your camera, it getting stolen from your car or house, only manufacturing faults and some will fight you over that..

Save your money and get your gear insured.

On the subject of insurance; for the love of god go to an insurance broker rather than shopping around yourself.

I got a quote from WSC Insurance brokers through photoinsurance.com.au

- Underwriter for the policy is CGU and the excess is $250 per claim (additional excess of $250 to theft claims from a vehicle)
- Quote based on a sum insured of $3480 to be $213.20 which includes broker fee of $33.00

Mary Anne
12-05-2016, 3:22pm
That seems a tad pricey to me this is what I am paying on my Home and Contents Account

I am paying $243.63 for Portable Insurance for items which equal $8500 that I can take anywhere and the Personal Valuables Excess is $100 a claim
Some insurance companies charge you the excess for every large item.

All my other photography gear is covered under General Contents.
Mine may not be the cheapest around though it seems better after looking at what you have been quoted.

jeckle
18-03-2017, 5:11pm
Bit late but for those who read this later. For Canon

APS-C lenses do not fit on a full frame body. APS-C line up on the white marks.

Full frame lenses fit on both, and line up on the red alignment marks.

ricktas
18-03-2017, 5:41pm
Bit late but for those who read this later. For Canon

APS-C lenses do not fit on a full frame body. APS-C line up on the white marks.

Full frame lenses fit on both, and line up on the red alignment marks.

Not just a bit late, but everything you have said has already been said in the thread previously.:lol: