PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used a Stedi-Stock camera mount?

tduell
02-05-2016, 11:02am
Hello All,
I'm looking for a good, easy to use solution to the problem of how to hold steady a camera and long lens.
I've tried a monopod and a belt pouch for the monopod, but neither of these arrangements provide the flexibility needed when "shooting" birds.
It occurred to me that mounting the camera/lens on a rifle stock or similar might prove to be a good solution.
A quick search turned up the Stedi-Stock, a nylon device like a gun stock, which appears like it might solve the problem.
Has anyone used, handled, or seen one of these? I would appreciate any comments that might help make a decision as to whether it is the solution.

Cheers,
Terry

ameerat42
02-05-2016, 12:50pm
I don't use one, and from looking at the Google images, I wouldn't bother.
The whole setup is too short for any useful inertial dampening IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Qualification: Except, perhaps, if that "handle" itself is resting on something solid.

tduell
02-05-2016, 3:40pm
I don't use one, and from looking at the Google images, I wouldn't bother.
The whole setup is too short for any useful inertial dampening IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Qualification: Except, perhaps, if that "handle" itself is resting on something solid.

I don't think inertial damping is the aim it's size and mass being greatly 'outweighed' by the camera & lens. Surely it's purpose is to allow you to firmly butt the stock up against your shoulder, as you would with a rifle.

Cheers,
Terry

ameerat42
02-05-2016, 3:59pm
Yep. Inertial dampening.:D

tduell
02-05-2016, 4:02pm
Yep. Inertial dampening.:D

Oh, what nonsense! Time to revise your physics I think.

Cheers,
Terry

Cage
02-05-2016, 4:16pm
I could see it being quite a good steadying aid when used in conjunction with a monopod.

Warbler
02-05-2016, 4:36pm
Cage might be onto something. Use the monopod instead of the handle, maybe with a ball head. It's not going to be all that steady hand-held. I was a shooter when I was younger and fitter. Got the marksman's award at my recruitment course. I can tell you that some camera/lens combos are as heavy as rifle and holding a rifle steady whilst standing unsupported is not easy.

tduell
02-05-2016, 4:46pm
I could see it being quite a good steadying aid when used in conjunction with a monopod.

You're probably right, but I want to get rid of the blasted monopod! They are a severe restriction when shooting birds. One moment you are looking at a bird on the ground, and the next trying to track a BIF high above. A monopod just gets in the way in a scenario like this. They are beaut if your subjects remain at about the same line of sight.
Handheld is the most flexible method for birds, and a device like this would seem to offer very similar flexibility but with that added stability that the butt into the shoulder should provide.
Whilst it all looks and sounds like a good idea , it may be useless. Hopefully Someone has actually experienced one of these.

Cheers,
Terry

Cage
02-05-2016, 4:51pm
Cage might be onto something. Use the monopod instead of the handle, maybe with a ball head. It's not going to be all that steady hand-held. I was a shooter when I was younger and fitter. Got the marksman's award at my recruitment course. I can tell you that some camera/lens combos are as heavy as rifle and holding a rifle steady whilst standing unsupported is not easy.

Totally agree Warbler.

I'm also an old rifle shooter from the .303 days and I also have the Army's Crossed Rifles marksmanship award. :nod:

Even shooting prone with both elbows on the ground, we used to use the sling for additional stability.

These things don't cost an arm and a leg so I may even try one myself to use with my monopod.

Agree Terry, a monopod is not a big help with BIF. I started with an average monopod head but found it tended to droop, so I upgraded to a Kirk and when set for the weight of your gear it's good enough to stay where you point it.

tduell
02-05-2016, 5:16pm

OK. The story is staring to get repetitive, so maybe you're all on the right track and I'm 'barking up the wrong tree' :D

Cheers,
Terry

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree Warbler.

I'm also an old rifle shooter from the .303 days and I also have the Army's Crossed Rifles marksmanship award. :nod:

Even shooting prone with both elbows on the ground, we used to use the sling for additional stability.

These things don't cost an arm and a leg so I may even try one myself to use with my monopod.

Agree Terry, a monopod is not a big help with BIF. I started with an average monopod head but found it tended to droop, so I upgraded to a Kirk and when set for the weight of your gear it's good enough to stay where you point it.

OK. The drooping head isn't the real issue. It's having to lift the whole damned contraption off the ground to get a sight on anything much above eye level. I'm 6' 4" in old money, so maybe you can see how awkward these things are for me...and that's why the gun-stock approach looked so attractive.
But, as most seem to be saying, it may not be much help on its own.

Cheers,
Terry

Cage
02-05-2016, 6:03pm
Aha, I see the problem. :nod:

I'm a shortie alongside you, only 6', but I just mounted my camera on my monopod and head (5'6"" to the top of the monopod head) and I see what you mean as I had to stoop to look through the viewfinder when the camera was pointing up at a high angle.

Quick Fix ??? A taller monopod. :nod: Maybe something like this http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/giottos-mml3290b-pro-aluminium-monopod

tduell
02-05-2016, 6:09pm
Aha, I see the problem. :nod:

I'm a shortie alongside you, only 6', but I just mounted my camera on my monopod and head (5'6"" to the top of the monopod head) and I see what you mean as I had to stoop to look through the viewfinder when the camera was pointing up at a high angle.

Quick Fix ??? A taller monopod. :nod: Maybe something like this http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/giottos-mml3290b-pro-aluminium-monopod

That looks like a decent height, and should be an improvement. I'll have to have a look at one of those.
Thanks for the link.

Cheers,
Terry

Warbler
02-05-2016, 6:48pm
This might be your go.

https://vimeo.com/116709909

Cage
02-05-2016, 7:45pm
Another bit of gear I'm really happy with. Similar action to the video in Warbler's post.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?133252-My-new-best-friend-the-Wimberley-Sidekick

ricktas
02-05-2016, 8:38pm
why not just get a DSLR steadicam? Same concept as used to steady cinema cameras for shooting movies..but for your DSLR. Sometimes people overthink stuff

J.davis
02-05-2016, 9:41pm
I use this head on my Benro monopod
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Benro-Monohead-Tlthead-DJ90-With-PU-60-Plate-For-Monopod-Vanguard-Slik-Manfrotto-/221272219000?hash=item3384da1d78:g:02UAAOSwabhUVwdV
When using it with my Sigma lens, I have the lock screw on the head loose and the collar on the lens loose as well. Does everything as well as being just a monopod.

tduell
03-05-2016, 11:39am
why not just get a DSLR steadicam? Same concept as used to steady cinema cameras for shooting movies..but for your DSLR. Sometimes people overthink stuff

Hmmm, maybe you're under thinking!
All the DSLR steadicams I could find with a quick search are only suited for camera of about 1kg or less. My DSL and lens is about 3 kg, and I suspect these devices add some mass as well. Not sure I'm convinced.

Cheers,
Terry

ricktas
03-05-2016, 4:39pm
Hmmm, maybe you're under thinking!
All the DSLR steadicams I could find with a quick search are only suited for camera of about 1kg or less. My DSL and lens is about 3 kg, and I suspect these devices add some mass as well. Not sure I'm convinced.

Cheers,
Terry

Under thinking or not, you have had some interesting views and ideas presented in your thread. So you have some thinking of your own to do before you make your decision, eh?

jim
03-05-2016, 5:47pm
Tie a washer to a string long enough to reach from the ground to about the height of your chin. Tie the other end of the string to a bolt that will fit your camera's tripod socket. Screw the bolt into the camera and stand on the washer. Done.

I have no idea how well this works.

tduell
04-05-2016, 8:36am
Under thinking or not, you have had some interesting views and ideas presented in your thread. So you have some thinking of your own to do before you make your decision, eh?

Yes, you are quite right, a lot of good discussion on the subject.

Cheers,
Terry

Mark L
06-05-2016, 10:14pm
Sometimes people overthink stuff

So I'll under think, which I like.
Look at Warblers video link again. Just the start. See the ring thing and grip thing he has on the lens. It's all I use :th3: (no wonder my bird photos are crap:() It lets you brace your left arm (attached to left hand attached to whatever the ring thing and grip is called) against your body thus giving some added stability.
If I'm stationary waiting for birds to come then a monopod is good (lightweight tripod with one leg down for me, when I can be bothered taking it. Sitting with camera on knee works)
Remember, under thinking here (but it's what I do)

tduell
07-05-2016, 12:25pm
So I'll under think, which I like.
Look at Warblers video link again. Just the start. See the ring thing and grip thing he has on the lens. It's all I use :th3: (no wonder my bird photos are crap:() It lets you brace your left arm (attached to left hand attached to whatever the ring thing and grip is called) against your body thus giving some added stability.
If I'm stationary waiting for birds to come then a monopod is good (lightweight tripod with one leg down for me, when I can be bothered taking it. Sitting with camera on knee works)
Remember, under thinking here (but it's what I do)

Hello Mark,
I'm not sure who was over-thinking, but am happy to cop the blame.
As it's a solution to my particular problem, I'm going to keep on thinking about it until I get a satisfactory (for me) solution, or give up...not sure how long that will take.
I reckon there is only one reason to under think something, and that is "no time to think about it any more"...i.e. an emergency; solution needed right now; money's run out, stuff like that. Civilisation would be still in the stone age if under thinking had been the universal modus operandi, but that's just my opinion.
Re Warbler's video, I have been unable to see it, it doesn't play here, so have to imagine from your description.
Any form of bracing should help, but yet to find a solution that suits bird shooting (stationary and in-flight) for me.
Still thinking!

Cheers,
Terry

Warbler
07-05-2016, 2:33pm
Re Warbler's video, I have been unable to see it, it doesn't play here, so have to imagine from your description.

It's a Tomahawk Gimbal Head Terry. Go to Luminous Landscape to see the video, but here is another link to a review of it. You can put these straight onto a monopod, and the one in the video was one of those Manfrottos that you adjust the height on using a single trigger. Makes it easy. Hold it at the height you want, press the trigger and it extends to that height and locks.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/tomahawk-gimbal-attachment

tduell
07-05-2016, 4:32pm
It's a Tomahawk Gimbal Head Terry. Go to Luminous Landscape to see the video, but here is another link to a review of it. You can put these straight onto a monopod, and the one in the video was one of those Manfrottos that you adjust the height on using a single trigger. Makes it easy. Hold it at the height you want, press the trigger and it extends to that height and locks.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/tomahawk-gimbal-attachment

Thanks for that. Luminous Landscape seems to be unreachable at the moment and that probably explains why I can't see the video.
Had a look at the Tomahawk Gimbal head, and looks like a snoopy piece of gear. I have yet to look at the monopod you mentioned. That also sounds interesting.
Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Terry

Brian500au
07-05-2016, 5:00pm
To be honest I don't think there is the perfect solution. The problem with Gimbal heads is they are perfect for long range shooting but not the best for short range because the pivot point is around the back third of the lens - so if you set it at eye level straight on, the camera body is too high when pointing to the ground and too low when point skywards.

The ideal set up for walk around BIF is a light weight set up - say a 7DII (no grip) and a 100-400.

I personally use a carbon fibre monopod with tilt head with gives me some leah way when adjusting angles. I have a heavy set up (1DX + 200-400) but if i need to aim higher than normal I lift the lens (and monopod) and use it hand held for a minute to so (following a BIF). When I walk I throw the monopod over my shoulder (body and lens attached). Now most of my shooting is at a distance and even BIF I seem to be able to have enough angle on the tilt head to get me through.

If I am particularly going for a walk I will take a lighter body and a lighter lens (as suggested above), but my biggest problem is hand held at 400mm + is holding the shot steady enough to get a sharp shot. I personally prefer some sort of mounting platform. I must add I am under 5'10", so don't face the same challenges as the thread starter.

If anybody has the perfect solution please enlighten me.