PDA

View Full Version : Some advice from Victorian locals please

cokeaddict
02-05-2016, 7:26am
Hey guys,
I am planning to try my luck at the Meteor shower on the 5th May. Never tried it before but want to give it a go. My problem is, I would usually head into the Victorian High Country for a camp but being a Thursday morning that will be too far (4 hours each way). Looking for some locals who might share a nice dark spot around the Mornington area. From what I have checked out online, it seems like maybe Cape Schanck could work but not sure. also Mushroom bay looks secluded from light, again .. not sure.
So anyone willing to share a nice hideaway within 1 - 1.5 hours from cranbourne?
trying out a new lens so adds to the fun. Hoping the Rokinon 12mm F/1.4 fish eye works well. Heard some great reviews on this one so got one to try. should work great on the a7s.

ricktas
02-05-2016, 1:13pm
I moved your thread. The members photos forums are specifically for posting photos for critique.

cokeaddict
02-05-2016, 1:21pm
Sweet thanks Rick,
Sorry mate forgot where I was.

arthurking83
02-05-2016, 3:31pm
So anyone willing to share a nice hideaway within 1 - 1.5 hours from cranbourne?

I'd avoid the peninsular area .. mainly due to light pollution from the big smoke(and the penninsular area itself(Rosebud/Rye/etc).

From where you are, it's about that out towards Gippsland way.
Personally, I'd try my luck into the mountains up towards Valhalla and Thompson Dam. Over the Hills and far away(just like the little duck song) .. and hence out of sight of the big smokes in the area.
Problem with that plan tho is getting a clear view of the sky(very heavily forested areas up that way).

So another plan could be out towards the Leongatha/Mirboo/Korumburra area.
The reason for this plan is the 360° view of the sky you can get in a specific area out that way.
The 'road' I tend to travel a lot out that way is called Grand Ridge Rd. It's one of those middle or nowhere roads that takes you from nowhere to nowhere else! :p
There are some nice spots on GR Rd, and it does travel through come heavily forested areas.
But there are many other less travelled roads that you can also explore

Nice roads, but many(off the main hwy) will be gravel and windy-swervy-snakey all over the place.
Can be windy(as in blowing a gale) too, as they flow over a series of treeless hills. But, views go on for miles and miles.
There are the odd terra firma based locations that you could use as a setting to place against the sky too.

Just one sample of what it looks like out there.
This one isn't on Grand Ridge rd, and is taken on a bend on Ross and Witherdons rd .. a klm or two further south (off the Warragul-Korumburra road).

The key point is not so much to give you a specific location, but to highlight that for good dark skies, you need to get out of sight of the city, up and over the mountains.

hope that helps.

cokeaddict
04-05-2016, 6:07pm
Hey buddy, Thanks so much for those tips. I have kept a note of your suggestions and check them out on one of my weekend drives to get to know them better.
I have decided to head up into the mountains as you suggested. Thomson Dam would be my 1st choice. Been there a few times on some of my 4wd trips and know it pretty well. Look for a high spot with views to set up the cameras. I did check out a few local spots during the week and all had light issues.
Cheers again buddy.

arthurking83
04-05-2016, 7:57pm
..... Thomson Dam would be my 1st choice. Been there a few times on some of my 4wd trips and know it pretty well. Look for a high spot with views to set up the cameras. I did check out a few local spots during the week and all had light issues.
Cheers again buddy.

Up on the Dam wall you will get good views of the sky. Not 360° views like in that gippy area I mentioned, but for arguments sake .. about 270° at least. the dam is obviously in a valley, so has surrounding mountains a on all sides.

Good spot, a bit windy, and cold and over the hills enough to minimise city lights :th3:

If you try to get there early-ish in the day to set yourself up, I strongly recommend the detour down to Valhalla too .. has to be the most picturesque town in Vic by far .. maybe in Aus(that I've seen).
But don't tell anyone, lest they all swamp the place which is an easy way to ruin the atmosphere! :p