PDA

View Full Version : Optical Trigger Trouble

martycon
08-04-2016, 5:29pm
I have a ring flash conected to an optical trigger, both Yongnuo. The trigger is triggered by my E-M10's small onboard flash. The trigger worked OK in heavy shade, but not in bright shade or sunlight. My solution was to tape white paper over the sensor aperture. With 4 layers of paper it now works ok in bright shade. I will add more paper to see if it will operate in sunlight as well as bright shade.
Is there a more sophisticated way of doing this?
I note that the trigger has two tiny switches under a clear cover, which I first mistook to be the sensor.
cheers marty.

jjphoto
09-04-2016, 7:03am
Don't know if there is a better solution for you but there certainly are better and worse optical triggers on the market. I've been using these Metz triggers for a long time and they work great, even in full sun. I found out recently they have been on the market since the early 1970's!

http://photocornucopia.com/images/Automotive/l_455_pc_400.jpg

martycon
09-04-2016, 9:43pm
Thanks for the info JJ, having been around so long they must be good.

jjphoto
10-04-2016, 7:36am
Thanks for the info JJ, having been around so long they must be good.

They seem to be. I have several (4 or 5) of them and haven't had a problem. The lens on the front of the sensor acts like a telephoto so it potentially has a narrow field of view which can be directed at other flashes. This makes it quite effective in full sun.

martycon
11-04-2016, 6:30pm
That narrow field of view definitely makes sense. thanks JJ