PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Lee Filter alternatives online

Brian500au
21-02-2016, 2:22am
About 2 years ago I invested in a Lee filter system - great system although I don't use it much, when I do I love the chance to use both grads and ND filters to slow down the shutter speed.

Recently I have changed a couple of lenses and I have been looking at purchasing another Lee adaptor to mount the Lee filter holder on to the lens. I have also been looking around to find a cheap way of experimenting with rear ND filters for a lens I have that requires that filter type.

Although I have always appreciated the quality of Lee engineering, in the end it is really only a step up / step down ring and I have trouble paying $109 in Australia for a piece of aluminum.

I am sure every body would have heard of the biggest online shopping store in the world - Alibaba, but did you realise they actually deliver to Australia free of charge.

For those interested here is the address http://www.aliexpress.com/all-wholesale-products.html

I picked up 3 adaptor rings for $37 delivered to Singapore (same price delivered to Australia), a ND 16 (4 stop) 100 x 100 filter for $18 delivered and finally a set of step up / step down rings (more than 10 rings in the set) for $13. Now this may all be crud, but I have bought gear made in China before and in the end I have been happy with it. In reality probably 80% of the consumer goods in the world are made in one part or another of Asia. Anyway thought it was worth the risk of spending $67 and hopefully saving myself over $500 if I had bought similar goods form a brand name in Australia.

Even if i have to replace it every year for the next five years I will still be ahead.

Kel

flashc
26-02-2016, 6:33am
Hi...
Thanks for the info.. I recently looked at something I wanted and available from BH who post to Aus
But, free freight sounds good to me if they have similar products

Brian500au
08-03-2016, 12:17am
Just a bit of an update of the above products I ordered via Aliexpress last month.

The non genuine Lee adaptors turned up. I compared them to the original and cannot tell the difference. In fact I gave them to my wife and asked her to pick the original, eventually she did because the Lee adaptor is shiny black and the non genuine are a matt black. Quality wise I would say they are exactly the same. The mind boggles how you pay $109 in Australia and $13 imported from China for exactly the same item.

The 4 stop ND filter seems good quality although I have not tested it. I primarily bought this to cut down to make rear ND filters for my wide angle lens, so I will give you an update when I try them out over the weekend.

Colonel
08-03-2016, 1:54am
Just a bit of an update of the above products I ordered via Aliexpress last month.

The non genuine Lee adaptors turned up. I compared them to the original and cannot tell the difference. In fact I gave them to my wife and asked her to pick the original, eventually she did because the Lee adaptor is shiny black and the non genuine are a matt black. Quality wise I would say they are exactly the same. The mind boggles how you pay $109 in Australia and $13 imported from China for exactly the same item.

The 4 stop ND filter seems good quality although I have not tested it. I primarily bought this to cut down to make rear ND filters for my wide angle lens, so I will give you an update when I try them out over the weekend.

Thanks for the heads up Brian500au. I have been considering a Lee filter for a while but these might just do the job I need at a much cheaper price. Thanks again!

ricktas
08-03-2016, 7:25am
I use a Cokin adaptor, rings etc and Lee filters. the Cokin Z-Pro system is 100mm and and any brand filters that are 100mm are fine in it.