PDA

View Full Version : Pentax upgrade

peterwa1969
04-12-2015, 12:02am
Hello Pentaxians,

I am looking at upgrading from a Pentax K-r (currently not functioning) and my "back-up" *istDs and was after some advice as to which is the better option:

- K-30 / K-50 or
- K-5 series (including K-5II & K-5IIs)?

I primarily do sports/action photography so am leaning towards the 7 fps of the K-5 series over the K-30/50 but a lot of the decision comes down to budget and availability (looking at second-hand at this stage).

Not interested in changing platforms (Canon/Nikon/etc) as this would require an investment in new lenses, flash, etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ameerat42
04-12-2015, 8:53am
[A frequent first reply is:] What sort of photography do you (mainly) do?

mudman
04-12-2015, 9:51am
what about a K3ii, they are the most recent model

peterwa1969
05-12-2015, 10:35pm
[A frequent first reply is:] What sort of photography do you (mainly) do?

Primarily Aussie Rules, cricket, karting and motocross.

Looking for something with reasonable continuous frame rate (at least equivalent to the K-r's 6fps).

- - - Updated - - -

what about a K3ii, they are the most recent model

Whilst I would really love a K-3 II the current budget doesn't extend that far (even 2nd hand examples that I have seen).

Am leaning towards the K-5 II and have seen a couple that I might be able to afford although I might need to go with the K-30 or K-50.

Cage
05-12-2015, 11:17pm
I was using Pentax before switching to Nikon.

I started with a K20D and upgraded (?) to a K5. I felt the K20 was a much more reliable camera than the K5. Depending on the level of bells 'n' whistles you want
the K20D could fill the gap for you at the right price.

Glen1
06-12-2015, 9:21am
Hi Peter,
i have a K5 ii which works well for me, taking shots of son's squash games with an FA 50 f1.7. I sometimes wish I'd bought the K5 iis, for the extra sharpness it offers due to having no AA filter.
Anyway, I see that dcxpert on ebay has a new K50 for $499. That's an excellent price. I've bought from them before, and got a receipt from C R Kennedy in the box when it arrived. Otherwise, there are some mint used K3's in Japan (again, on ebay), that are selling for $820 ish.
Good luck with your purchase.

Regards
Glen1

mudman
06-12-2015, 1:13pm
[QUOTE=

Whilst I would really love a K-3 II the current budget doesn't extend that far (even 2nd hand examples that I have seen).

Am leaning towards the K-5 II and have seen a couple that I might be able to afford although I might need to go with the K-30 or K-50.[/QUOTE]
if you wait until the full frame is released next year, you may find the k3's dropping in price to a value you can afford. just a thought

peterwa1969
05-01-2016, 11:25am
Just a quick update.

Managed to pick up a Pentax K-7 on ebay for $150. In pretty good condition and with about 28,000 shutter count.

This will serve the purpose for the moment and will become my 2nd unit when I can afford to pick up another body.