PDA

View Full Version : Sony RX1R II

glennb
15-10-2015, 3:45pm
Not sure if this old news but I like it! and wonder if Nikon will use this sensor in its next D8XXX?
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2015/10/14/sony-rx1r-ii-price-specs-full-frame-camera/

ameerat42
15-10-2015, 4:00pm
And it also comes with(out) 4K video recording, and NO "unwanted" image stabilisation (except for electronic in movie mode).
However, what it lacks in video and IS it makes up for with a nice, hefty price tag!!:rolleyes:

swifty
15-10-2015, 4:01pm
This should be the same sensor as the one in the A7R II?
Speculations on the rumour sites is that the D810 replacement (not any mid-life refreshes) will bypass this and be in the 50+ mp range.

arthurking83
15-10-2015, 4:06pm
News is very recent:
I saw the new about this camera and of course my first thoughts were about the price.
I remember the original Rx1 had a hefty price tag, and this one is no different.

One thing that struck me when I saw the images of it, was what appeard to be a fully stopped down aperture diaphragm! :confused013
Then reading the link to the site you posted, they explain that it uses an in lens shutter(ie. leaf shutter).
That obviously helps with 1/2000s flash sync, but that also limits shutter to 1/2000s too!

And Sony's (engineering) thinking/reasoning is a bit convoluted with respect to this limit!
The shutter does have a maximum 1/4000s ability, but only if aperture is f/5.6 or smaller(larger number).
The faster the aperture(ie. f/2 or f/4) the slower is the max shutter speed available.

Where the issue lies, is that .. just when you may need it(say f/2) .. you can't use the higher shutter speed! :confused:
You'd have thought with the use of electronically controlled OPLF, they could have added a ND filter in there somewhere too.
And it this is the same sensor as the A7rII, which has a fully electronic shutter capability .. why they wouldn't have created a hybrid leaf/electronic shutter arrangement.

.... and wonder if Nikon will use this sensor in its next D8XXX? ......

According to Nikon Rumours, Nikon's next D8xx iteration is apparently a D810s(ie. an update to the current D810).

That makes no sense at all considering that the D810 is an updated D800/E .. and you'd have thought in a major camera update era, they'd have done a D810x with an updated sensor(most likely this same 42Mp Sony device).

Anyhow, all we can do is wait and see what Nikon come up with in the next few months.(hopefully not too far away).

glennb
15-10-2015, 4:44pm
without turning this into a Nikon thread, this camera shows that Nikon need to pick their game. I have heard Nikon might be breaking ties with Sony and moving to another company for their sensor and I think their sensor needs something with a bigger DR, which I think people want more than more than MPls (at 36mp+). If Nikon keep a MP range at 36-42 with more DR and faster shots PS and D750 size and weight ,they have me. Other wise Sony is looking good for me at the moment... for the future that is. But in saying this lenses throw a spanner in the works :/ .

Cage
15-10-2015, 5:03pm
... for the future that is. But in saying this lenses throw a spanner in the works :/ .

They sure do. Plus all the other bits 'n' pieces like grips, flashes, batteries etc.

I just did a quick add up of my gear and I have probably outlaid twice the cost of the D800 in lens and accessories. I did the switch from Pentax to Nikon about four years ago and won't be going through that exercise again in the foreseeable future, if ever.

swifty
15-10-2015, 6:24pm
The max shutter speed being available at f5.6 or greater aperture does seem quite odd. 1/2000 with a bright f2 lens without a built in ND could run up to some limits shooting in bright sunny conditions.

The built-in EVF is welcomed. After trying the RX100 IV's similar pop-up style VF I was initially left underwhelmed as you need to pop it up and pull it out. Which would be quite slow for street photography where spontaneity is everything.
But then you could have the EVF always up (even with power off) when out shooting and only pop it down when storing.

I've come to realise that compactness is only an issue when storing and during transport.
When shooting, handling is everything.
So in that respect I'm not liking the right side of the camera. It just seems small and combined with a large-ish lens protrusion (relatively speaking), I fear the balance won't be great, having handled the RX1R which looks pretty similar to the mark II.
Having tried the Leica Q, it actually handles remarkably well with seemingly just an extra half-inch of width and an indent for the thumb.
I can't help feel that Sony miniaturised for the sake of miniaturisation and that extra space on the right side would contribute to better handling and a beefier battery. But of course I'll reserve judgement until I've actually tried the camera.
I notice 4K video is omitted whereas the A7RII (if indeed it is the same sensor) does 4k. Is this another symptom of miniaturisation resulting in poor heat dissipation?

I terms of the lens, AK83 and I have another discussion on another thread but he made a comment about a collapsing design. Which I think is very on-point, if they can do it. Again, repeating my mantra above that compactness only matters when not in use, a collapsing design would be great for storing and transporting but when shooting, it's actually nice having some lens protrusion to hold.
But I'm reminded that there's a 42MP in there which places pretty big demands on the lens. How big is the new Otus 28/1.4? Maybe we're asking too much of the already reasonable sized lens to be collapsible.