PDA

View Full Version : memory cards

David Woods
10-10-2015, 1:04pm
Hi
The wife and I are heading overseas shortly, and we would like to upgrade our memory cards but we are not sure about the best ones to buy. We are looking at the Lexar 64GB Professional 1000x UHS-II SDXC Memory Card Class 10, UHS Speed Class 3, or the SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC U3 Memory Card (Class 10), has anyone had experience with these 2 items, and would like to share their views.

Our Digital camera's we are taking will be the Sony a37, Olympus tough tg2 and a Pentax k x

Kind Regards
David

ameerat42
10-10-2015, 1:18pm
Nothing much wrong with those cards, David. Just one thing: if one should fail you could lose a fair bit of data.
My own preference is for 16GB (about 200 of my pics) and this started off when anything bigger cost heaps more.
Now prices are not too bad.

And what are you doing about image backup? Taking any computery and HDDs?

- - - Updated - - -

Addendum: If I'm local, images get copied to the computer within an hour or so. If travelling, then usually at night.

- - - Updated - - -

PS to the first part of the post: 16GB suits my style too, I mean. If you shoot lots, then of course...

David Woods
10-10-2015, 1:34pm
I didn't think about back up, I have to ask the hotels if they have computers we can use, the Lexar is about $90 for 2, the sandisk about $70 for 1.
Thanks for that.
David

Warbler
10-10-2015, 2:13pm
Those cards are very highly spec'd for read/write speed. Are you after fast cards, or just storage capacity? If you're really only after storage capacity, there are much cheaper options. Are you taking a smartphone with you? You might want to look at one of these:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1942297087/toshiba-brings-transferjet-wireless-sd-cards-to-europe

Whilst I haven't tried one of these, I have a couple of their FlashAir cards which have a slower transfer speed but longer range. You could use one of these in your A37, and when you get back to your hotel each night, just transfer the images to your smartphone if you have a very large capacity mini/micro SD card in it. Your smartphone will still work for Wi-Fi even though your SIM card may not be installed or connected to a network. Depending on where you're going overseas, you may also be able to use free Wi-fi to send them home or load them into the cloud.

David Woods
10-10-2015, 3:57pm
I shoot in burst 15 shots until it slows, is that normal or slow, I was thinking of taking a memory stick, I never thought about using my phone, it can store about 9 gig of photo's.
Thanks for that

ameerat42
10-10-2015, 4:17pm
Ah, memory sticks, memory SHticks! I did that last time, took a few and and dropped one in a glacier - and lost stuff. Had to buy a HHD then.
But even if I had not lost one I would not have had enough storage for backup. And that's something: a backup system. Get a WD Passport or
a Toshiba Canvio. I have two of each, and can swear by 'em. Notice the preposition - not "at" them:D

- - - Updated - - -

--Esp if you shoot bursts of 15. - It must look rather like: :violent10: but with a camera.

Warbler
10-10-2015, 5:45pm
Sorry, forgot about Memory Sticks and Sony, but I see your A37 also takes SDXC and SDHC cards. Depending on what smartphone you have, you should be able to get an additional card to put in the phone fairly cheaply. I think I put a 64gb Micro-SD in mine for bugger-all. I'd go the biggest I could get that was compatible with the phone. They're really cheap. Like this one http://www.cheapchips.com.au/memory/sandisk-ultra-microsdxc-uhs-i-card-with-adapter-128gb-48mb-s The problem then is getting them from your camera to your phone, which is why I mentioned the wi-fi cards. I don't think they do wi-fi enabled memory sticks, so it would have to be the SDHC Toshiba to get the wi-fi. Of course phones and cameras are both pretty attractive items for thieves, so you still risk losing the lot. Know a bloke who had his 5D and lenses in his camera bag stolen off him as he tried to board a train in Russia. One distracted him in a scuffle as the other targeted the bag. Took the whole damn thing. That's why I'd be transmitting the images every time I got the chance.