PDA

View Full Version : Removable tripod head - Beginners warning...

JDuding
08-10-2015, 2:28pm
Just been trying out a bunch of the features and effects my new camera offers and had a very near miss.

I have mostly used a tripod that does not have a removable head, but not long ago... upgraded to try and improve the panning of my videos.
Now that I have a camera with a heavy lens... I tend to tighten the horizontal pan section so to slow the panning down a bit and i find the restriction provided by a tight mechanism produces a smoother pan.

BUT... Hows this... the 'removable' in removable head is located just under the horizontal pan mechanism.

So... it seems that for a while now... my tight pan mechanism was not getting looser on it's own... the entire head unit was unscrewing and...

... It's ok everyone... just a near miss.

No injuries or damage... just a large gap between the head and legs of the tripod and a very wobbly camera until I worked out why.

I'm ok.
The camera is ok and...
...I now know how to remove the head unit of my tripod. :D

ameerat42
08-10-2015, 2:46pm
Ta for the warning, Dude. A pic of it wouldn't go astray.
Now go and pat the dog:D

JDuding
08-10-2015, 4:14pm
...A pic of it wouldn't go astray...

http://i.imgur.com/rRWZb8m.png

(Admin, Please edit pic into OP. Ran out of time.)

...Now go and pat the dog:D...

Not until the bitch closes her legs :D

bricat
08-10-2015, 5:03pm
Not just beginners. A timely warning like check which lens you have on before starting to shoot? Sometimes I wonder if I am all here. I've never done so many stupid things in my life. Debatable I know. cheers Brian

I @ M
08-10-2015, 6:34pm
Very good illustrative example of why it is best for people buying tripods to spend wisely in the first instance. :th3:

Most tripods that have removable heads have one or two or three grub screws set in the mounting plate that, when the head is attached, can be tightened to stop the head being "unwound" until the grub screws are loosened.

ameerat42
08-10-2015, 6:37pm
FWIW, another alarming aspect of the accessory is the patent fact that ALL that superstructure is supported by one 1/4" bolt.:eek:
Who knows HOW well it is attached to the stem of the tripod.:eek:

JDuding
08-10-2015, 7:10pm
...Most tripods that have removable heads have one or two or three grub screws set in the mounting plate...

Just googled and I see what you mean.

Next time I'm at the camera shop I'll check out some 'wiser' tripods ;)

----Edit--- until then... I'll see if I have any 'Loctite' in the shed. :th3:

macmich
08-10-2015, 8:51pm
you have 2.5 g sitting on a tripod, i would suggest to spend wisely and get yourself a reliable proven safe tripod
cheers macca

ameerat42
08-10-2015, 9:15pm
...you have 2.5 g sitting on a tripod...

Macca means Killer-grams:D

farmmax
09-10-2015, 12:45am
Macca means Killer-grams:D

Or does he mean the other "G"

$2,500 worth of equipment sitting on it , (or maybe both!) :D

It's not the weight I would mind hitting the ground, it is the cost of the "weight" hitting the ground :eek:

arthurking83
09-10-2015, 7:41am
you have 2.5 g sitting on a tripod, i would suggest to spend wisely and get yourself a reliable proven safe tripod
cheers macca

+1!

That one aint gunna cut it for good photos with that camera/lens combo on it.

For video and very fast shutter speeds you may not see any issues, but when shutter speeds get into the lower regions(even as fast as 1/60s or so) .. you may not be getting as sharp images as you may otherwise would.(the issue will be the top of the head itself .. especially the 90° flippy section!)

been there, done that .. not going to do it ever again(and will warn you about the issues).

macmich
09-10-2015, 8:39am
sorry $2500

ameerat42
09-10-2015, 9:39am
Of course! I never thought of that! I never have much of that:o:D

JDuding
09-10-2015, 4:31pm
It hurt to spend that much on anything that doesn't have a V8 inside. So no fear all... I'll be spending more to save what I have already invested:D

kevin301
15-10-2015, 3:30pm
I personally use a ballhead as I'm lazy and I find it quicker to set up.

Have a couple of mates who purchased Manfrotto 3-way heads, and found them to be pretty good value for money.

something like below
http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/Manfrotto_804RC2_804RC2_3_Way_Pan_Tilt_Head_1232996238000_434497.jpg

* Image removed and replaced with a link. Site rules state only photos you own copyright to can be posted on Ausphotography : Admin*