PDA

View Full Version : Bathurst!

max2027
05-10-2015, 12:40am
G'day ausphotograhers!
just after any advice for shooting on and around the track at Bathurst 1000 this year.. camera is a 6d, lenses are 150-500mm (unfortunately only a cheapy with no is.. but i needed some kind of zoom... other is 24-105mm1:4 and my fav widey 16-35 2.8.. thinking top of mountain wide action shoots, pits etc.. any one done a shoot there before that can offer advice?
cheers n beers
go holden..lol

Smart86
07-10-2015, 7:43pm
Sad to see no replies as yet Shane, as I am also after some tips for the upcoming Adelaide Classic. Seeing as how we are neighbors I will seek some advice for the gear I have and hopefully this will help you also, and yes, GO HOLDEN!!

I @ M
07-10-2015, 8:14pm
just after any advice for shooting on and around the track at Bathurst 1000 this year

The best advice I can give for the scenario in point form is ----

#1. Trade the Canon gear in on Nikon. Nikon will handle slow speed pans better which you will need for the Holdens, if you were photographing the faster Fords you might have been ok.

#2 Avoid the beers, it ruins steady hands and good photography.

#3 Amend that to tears and beers for the washup when the Holdens are all on the back of the flatop towies.

​Tongue firmly in cheek but it did bump your post a little. :D

ricktas
07-10-2015, 8:24pm
One of the big reasons you will not get replies re Bathurst, is that conditions of entry mean that any photos you take can only be for personal use. Posting them on the net breaches your conditions of entry, so if someone posts Bathurst photos on AP, we have to remove the thread, or deal with lawyers threatening to have the site taken down.

Learn how to Pan would be my best advice. Practice on cars going up and down your street. The more you practice panning the better you get.

Smart86
07-10-2015, 8:40pm
Well I never thought of that, kinda spoils the fun a bit? Are you on FB Shane?
One of the big reasons you will not get replies re Bathurst, is that conditions of entry mean that any photos you take can only be for personal use. Posting them on the net breaches your conditions of entry, so if someone posts Bathurst photos on AP, we have to remove the thread, or deal with lawyers threatening to have the site taken down.

Learn how to Pan would be my best advice. Practice on cars going up and down your street. The more you practice panning the better you get.

ricktas
07-10-2015, 9:25pm
Well I never thought of that, kinda spoils the fun a bit? Are you on FB Shane?

Most A Grade sporting fixtures have the same conditions. Cricket, AFL, Tennis, NRL, etc all have conditions of entry restricting what you can do with photos taken. Some even restrict what gear you can take in. Ie 200mm or more lenses are banned from some events.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?92595-First-Grade-Sporting-Fixtures-Reminder-about-Entry-Terms-and-Conditions

max2027
14-10-2015, 7:48pm
thanks for the heads up re legality issues... geeze glad i didnt post any also your advise was awesome, paning and capturing "speed" was tricky.. but worth a great shot..

- - - Updated - - -

The best advice I can give for the scenario in point form is ----

#1. Trade the Canon gear in on Nikon. Nikon will handle slow speed pans better which you will need for the Holdens, if you were photographing the faster Fords you might have been ok.

#2 Avoid the beers, it ruins steady hands and good photography.

#3 Amend that to tears and beers for the washup when the Holdens are all on the back of the flatop towies.

​Tongue firmly in cheek but it did bump your post a little. :D
bahahahahaha!! this is gold... you've made my day with this.
as it turns out.. the fords were tricky to capture as they couldn't keep to the track.. (hope ya feeling better chaz)
got some wicked shots of lowndsey taking chequered and some great night shots of us all having a few cans exploring the mountain..
thanks again mate :)

- - - Updated - - -

Sad to see no replies as yet Shane, as I am also after some tips for the upcoming Adelaide Classic. Seeing as how we are neighbors I will seek some advice for the gear I have and hopefully this will help you also, and yes, GO HOLDEN!!
gday smart86, got some great shots over the weekend... still yet to get off the cards..lol
facebook is shanemjconnelly@hotmail.com
should team up and get some shots

Mark L
14-10-2015, 10:53pm
facebook is shanemjconnelly@hotmail.com

That's you're email not your facebook thing.;)

J.davis
16-10-2015, 8:04pm
Just say, for arguments sake, that I got a job at Bathurst 12hr race to take pics of flags. In between taking pictures of flags, I take some race pics.
Can I post them anywhere (they are mine) or do the event conditions still apply?
What are your thoughts.

Warbler
17-10-2015, 7:53am
Just say, for arguments sake, that I got a job at Bathurst 12hr race to take pics of flags. In between taking pictures of flags, I take some race pics.
Can I post them anywhere (they are mine) or do the event conditions still apply?
What are your thoughts.

Mate, you can take as many photos as you want at Bathurst. It's how you use them that might get you into trouble. They ARE very litigious from what I have heard from some other sports photographers.

J.davis
17-10-2015, 12:56pm
That's the reason for the Question, what you can do with them on the internet of things.

Warbler
17-10-2015, 5:15pm
Here you go. The best place to ask would be here:

media@v8supercars.com.au

J.davis
17-10-2015, 8:27pm
Don't want to make too many waves, just needed a little help for a friend.

Mark L
17-10-2015, 10:34pm
Might depend if the flags were advertising something also.:)
Basically my understanding is, take as many photos as you want for private distribution. Want to show them in public, like here. forget it.
I can understand them not wanting people to make money out of their product. But sharing publicly in some places, like here, surely gives their product greater exposure.:confused013 Maybe they figure they get enough exposure anyway?