PDA

View Full Version : Questions on travel

pgbphotographytas
01-07-2008, 6:16pm
Hi all,
It looks like we will be going away to Sydney on holidays in September for a few days, now I have some questions:

1) What will be the best way to carry the D40 + lens on the plane? just in my camera bag as carry on or look at getting a hard case and putting it in my checked baggage?

2) What are some places around Sydney to take photos and what areas should I avoid?

3) Is there an easy way to "backup" my memory cards without having to carry my laptop with me?

Paul

MarkW
01-07-2008, 6:23pm
Never ever put camera gear in checked luggage unless you dont want it anymore or are heavily insured. Havent you seen the way that baggage handlers throw bags around and I dont believe that every single one of them is as honest as the day is long.

Buy a camera bag and carry it on the plane - camera bags are considered the same as laptops and are generally an addition to carry on luggage. You'd be amazed what you can get away with for carry on when its photographic gear. Note tripods and monopods do have to fly as checked luggage - just buy a small compact model if you really need one of these.

I @ M
01-07-2008, 6:24pm
In point form Paul ----

#1 Carry it with you in the bag as check in luggage at all times, no exceptions.

#2 Haven't got a clue, sorry.

#3 Take the card to any photo store and get them to burn it to cd for you, shouldn't be hard to find stores in Syd.

BigEyedBeans
01-07-2008, 6:28pm
1) What will be the best way to carry the D40 + lens on the plane? just in my camera bag as carry on or look at getting a hard case and putting it in my checked baggage?
I never put my camera gear in checked baggage. I'd rather have it on me, and know it's safe. Depending on your airline, check out your allowed cabin baggage - but I'm sure this will be no problem, by taking your camera bag.

2) What are some places around Sydney to take photos and what areas should I avoid?
I have been to Sydney in the last month, and I'd suggest that going anywhere at night by yourself with your gear is probably not the wisest ideas (this is applicable in lots of places - so don't take offence Sydney people!). My recommendation for a must-see in Sydney (apart from the regulars) is this. (http://www.jetcruiser.com.au/?gclid=CNHa0_ShnpQCFSMYagodrQxWuA). We did this recently and it was absolutely awesome. Good views of iconic spots that you don't normally get the chance to without being on the Harbour.

3) Is there an easy way to "backup" my memory cards without having to carry my laptop with me?
Without buying a portable device, you can always take advantage of image developing places/print shops that will let you back up to disc. Obviously there are risks involved with this (ie, disc not working, losing the disc).

Hope this helps - it's pretty brief..

Enjoy Sydney - it's truly a stunning place..

Cheers
Kel

MarkW
01-07-2008, 6:39pm
Sorry missed Q2 and 3

Where to avoid in Sydney - Basically anywhere after dark unless there are plenty of people around and even then I can get a bit nervous - carry your gear in a normal looking backpack, dont make it obviously noticable that you have expensive gear with you. Stay out of Surrey Hills, Redfern after dark and stay off the trains after 10pm. The Central CBD is OK but not the back alleys and side streets. Parramatta and Penrith are OK too but same rules apply

Sydney can be quite safe if your sensible and deliberately try to avoid trouble. If you go out with the expectation of finding trouble you get it in spades.

Storing images - Andrew reply is best or if you credit card can take it look at a downloader from about $200 to $1000 depending on quality. Just search the threads for image storage.

MarkW
01-07-2008, 6:43pm
The best place to see Sydney is from the top of the harbour bridge but you cant take a camera:mad:

The next best place is from the top of the south eastern pylon of the bridge. Costs about $10 and you can stay up there all day snapping images of the harbour and the Opera house. :)

Taronga Park Zoo is also good - ferry from Circular Quay. You get pics of the animals and pics of the harbour all from the one location :) :)

pgbphotographytas
01-07-2008, 6:58pm
Thanks everybody for the answers, I will keep them in mind.

Paul

njg02
02-07-2008, 9:57am
1. carry on luggage. I took a back pack plus my lowepro sling as carry on to NZ recently.

2. There are lots of places on the south eastern side of the harbour that you can get good harbour shots day and night. Not too many people but populated if you know what I mean. Darling Harbour is also good day and night. Architecture in the city, old and new, the zoo, the royal national park, beaches.
Better yet, come to Wollongong!

3. Camera shops to burn to disc is probably your best bet or purches huge memory cards or shoot in jpegs.

4. Have a great time.

Neil

DanNG
07-07-2008, 11:06pm
How you carry and swing a nice heavy tripod can add loads to personal security at night... well it makes people think twice

Travel insurance is key... if someone really wants your gear... hand it over and walk away.

pgbphotographytas
08-07-2008, 7:49am
How you carry and swing a nice heavy tripod can add loads to personal security at night... well it makes people think twice

Thanks for the advice, the other night when I was out doing some night photos by the Tamar river I was thinking what a good weapon the tripod would make.....

Paul

jev
08-07-2008, 5:40pm
1) Carry-on. Ofcourse. This may prove difficult, but try to keep within the limits set by the airline. If you don't, you may find that some airlines can make life really difficult. Heavily depends on the airline, the time of travel, the groundstaff and the flight attendents. On the other hand, I have seen what impact a 10 kilo carry-on can have when dropping from an overhead bin - that really is not funny.

These days, 7 kilo per pack and a maximum size total (= length + width + height) of 105cm is pretty much the norm. Check with the airline you are flying with - these things vary from carrier to carrier.

3) Backups on CD are hardly feasible anymore these days. The limit you can store on a CD is just 760 kB or something like that. On-line backup would be nice, I guess you can find a decent Internet cafe in Sydney where you could upload images to a server somewhere?

dh52726
09-07-2008, 9:53am
as everyone said, carryon is the only way.

as for syd shooting around darling harbour, rocks and the normal harbour (i live here and i dont know what its called!)

depening on the day, i reckon you'll be fine walking around alone except on friday and saturday nights and tyhats only cause people partying and drunk they might hassle you.

get a case/backpack that does not look like a camera bag and when your not useing the camera put it in the case/backpack

MarkW
09-07-2008, 2:58pm
as everyone said, carryon is the only way.

as for syd shooting around darling harbour, rocks and the normal harbour (i live here and i dont know what its called!)

Are you lost ??? :D

Its called the main harbour (from harbour bridge to middle head), outer harbour (from middle head to North/South Head), inner Harbour (West of Bridge to Parramatta River entrance)

Other than that its referred to the adjacent bay or suburb

Zakari
10-07-2008, 2:43am
1. Carry On of course.
2. Really comes down to what you enjoy taking pictures of, animals? Taronga Zoo... People? Newtown or Paddington has some real freaks... errr I mean interesting artsy people. Motorsports? Eastern Creek hold regular drag meets or Bathurst of course. Landscapes, the usual shots around the harbour are great or head up to the blue mountains... Where not to go? Cabramatta... jokes... I live there/ here... doesn't really live up to the reputation and if you love good cheap Asian food... gotta give it a go. As far as no go areas... Redfern can be pretty dodgy at night,.
3. Storage... not sure if anyone has mentioned this but if you own a Ipood... yes Ipood... there is an adapter for it that can plug straight into your camera to back up your photos. I think Gen 4 and up support this... any that supports photos really. That or any of the Epson photo banks... eBay it, pretty cheap these days...

Hope all this helps and hope you enjoy your time in our lovely state...