PDA

View Full Version : Godox Or Visico Strobes? , or another suggestion?

Sam1971
02-09-2015, 9:31am
Hi, This is my first post so please be gentle with me!. I understand this is somewhat of a common question however I really can't decide what strobe to get for my home portrait studio. I have done as much research as I possibly can but still cannot decide between these strobe models:

http://www.studioworks.com.au/vc-pro-series-flash/12-vc-pro-series-flash.html

(http://www.studioworks.com.au/vc-pro-series-flash/12-vc-pro-series-flash.html)http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Studio_Flash_QS_Series.html

All of your expert advice and suggestions much appreciated.

WhoDo
02-09-2015, 12:34pm
Hi, This is my first post so please be gentle with me!. I understand this is somewhat of a common question however I really can't decide what strobe to get for my home portrait studio. I have done as much research as I possibly can but still cannot decide between these strobe models:

http://www.studioworks.com.au/vc-pro-series-flash/12-vc-pro-series-flash.html

(http://www.studioworks.com.au/vc-pro-series-flash/12-vc-pro-series-flash.html)http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Studio_Flash_QS_Series.html

All of your expert advice and suggestions much appreciated.

You say you intend to use these in your home portrait studio, Sam. Are you planning on getting only 1 unit? What about stands, modifiers, triggers, backdrops, etc. One strobe does not a portrait studio make. Will you ever need to use them outside as well? That too has its pitfalls. Both units have more than enough power plus a decent GN and recycle times.

I'm not sure you need 400W though. If you were going to use them outside, and try to face off against the sun, then 400W plus is ideal. Inside, depending upon the size of your space and the modifiers you plan on using, 200W could be plenty. I'm not trying to be difficult. Just trying to figure out how best to advise you.

There are some awesome portrait photographers on here, but they will all need just a little more info to help you in a meaningful way. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Further, I should also say that I am a GREAT fan of site sponsor Fotogenic. They have kits that include all of the necessary bits and pieces at reasonable prices and I find their Menik strobes to be robust and reliable (I'm on my second set ... sold the first set to go outdoors compatible). Hope that helps.:th3:

Sam1971
02-09-2015, 2:57pm
You say you intend to use these in your home portrait studio, Sam. Are you planning on getting only 1 unit? What about stands, modifiers, triggers, backdrops, etc. One strobe does not a portrait studio make. Will you ever need to use them outside as well? That too has its pitfalls. Both units have more than enough power plus a decent GN and recycle times.

I'm not sure you need 400W though. If you were going to use them outside, and try to face off against the sun, then 400W plus is ideal. Inside, depending upon the size of your space and the modifiers you plan on using, 200W could be plenty. I'm not trying to be difficult. Just trying to figure out how best to advise you.

There are some awesome portrait photographers on here, but they will all need just a little more info to help you in a meaningful way. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Further, I should also say that I am a GREAT fan of site sponsor Fotogenic. They have kits that include all of the necessary bits and pieces at reasonable prices and I find their Menik strobes to be robust and reliable (I'm on my second set ... sold the first set to go outdoors compatible). Hope that helps.:th3:

Hi WhoDo, Thank you so much for your post. Some good questions, firstly I should mention I'm actually using the photo's for reference to paint from. As you know its not easy to keep people still for hours on end, especially children, so the whole photography thing is a means to an end. Having said that I want to add a strobe to my existing equipment as it gives me more option's to get creative within the photographic stage. At the moment I have a Yongnuo IV Flash & 2 triggers, 2 cheap umbrella's (shoot through and silver), one 80cm octobox umbrella for flash, black,white,green cotton backdrops, 4 stands that came with a continuous lighting kit.

I will take another look at Fotogenic and see what they got, thanks again for the info, most appreciated. :D

I @ M
02-09-2015, 4:34pm
The visico strobes that you linked are the same model as I use here Sam.
We have 2 and they have consistently worked well and provide plenty of bang for your buck.
One needed to be rebuilt after about 3 years of pretty hard work and getting it refurbished through studioworks was a quick and (relatively) low cost exercise.

Sam1971
02-09-2015, 5:06pm
The visico strobes that you linked are the same model as I use here Sam.
We have 2 and they have consistently worked well and provide plenty of bang for your buck.
One needed to be rebuilt after about 3 years of pretty hard work and getting it refurbished through studioworks was a quick and (relatively) low cost exercise.

G'day Andrew, Thanks for the reply. What exactly needed to be done on the strobe if you dont mind me asking?.

Love your photo's by the way :)

I @ M
02-09-2015, 8:57pm
What exactly needed to be done on the strobe if you dont mind me asking?.

From memory, a capacitor and a circuit board were replaced. The capacitor I would consider fair wear and tear for the usage that the unit had undergone as capacitors are a little like light globes. You get some that last forever and others that quit after a hammering. The circuit board may have been shorted when changing light modifiers without the head turned off. That is a pitfall of the Bowens S type mount where the bayonet fittings come very close to the flash tube terminals.

MissionMan
02-09-2015, 10:17pm
Are you shooting Canon or Nikon? I see Yongnuo has released a Canon TTL strobe which might be an easier way to get to grips with lighting if that helps.

The other one to consider is the Jinbei HD600 if mobility is important. Its similar to the Profoto type of concept with the battery incorporated into the head, but without TTL.

Sam1971
03-09-2015, 1:20am
Are you shooting Canon or Nikon? I see Yongnuo has released a Canon TTL strobe which might be an easier way to get to grips with lighting if that helps.

The other one to consider is the Jinbei HD600 if mobility is important. Its similar to the Profoto type of concept with the battery incorporated into the head, but without TTL.

I'm shooting Nikon. I had no idea Yongnuo made strobes until you mentioned it!. Are they going to make Nikon ones?, *comment removed -please refer to the site rules, in particular rule 3: admin*