PDA

View Full Version : Trying to stop my dog

thegrump
30-08-2015, 12:08pm
I am trying to get some action shots of my new dog. My camera states in Advanced settings, I can go to 1/4000. If I go to Shutter priority, I can only seem to go to 1/200. If I set it on Sports I can go to 1/500 as the pictures below. How / Where do I get a faster shutter speed. The manual is useless.

ameerat42
30-08-2015, 12:31pm
Have you tried whistling?:confused013 Looking at these, you HAVE stopped your dog:nod:. He's just NOT in focus.:(
See fence in BG is sharp and dog is not. There's no motion blur I can see, as it's OOF. Work on nailing focus.

Now, about your shutter speeds...
According to the manual, p 75, in S mode you can choose between 30sec and 1/4000sec:nod:
The same range is available in Manual mode (p 77).:nod:

thegrump
30-08-2015, 12:51pm
I have read page 75 and 77. Yes I states there but I can not seem to set it on the camera

aussirose
30-08-2015, 2:34pm
Have a read up on panning mate. You need to set your camera to continuous focus mode, start with shutter speed of 1/60 or 1/80, ISO 100.
Panning is when you hold the shoot button down half way and focus on your dog running then click full way down and follow the dog smoothly with your camera whilst it is shooting. I learn't the panning technique on youtube and have a lot of fun with this. In the case of your dog, you'll have to have a very patient helper and a few yummy doggie treats :)
Cute dog btw ;)

Mark L
30-08-2015, 10:40pm
in S mode you can choose between 30sec and 1/4000sec:nod:

Is S mode shutter priority?
Choose shutter priority and auto ISO. Play with that.
You may need to also play with various focus points for the camera to lock onto the subject. Start with the centre one.
And then there's valium to slow the dog down. Mostly recommended for beginner photogs.:D

fillum
30-08-2015, 11:37pm
1/200 is the flash sync speed - did you have the flash up when you were trying to set the shutter-speed? (Or perhaps there is some problem and the camera thinks the flash is up ?)

As ameerat points out, the main problem here is that you missed focus on your dog. There are a few reasons this can happen, but I'd suggest trying this:-

- set your focus-mode to AF-C. This is 'continuous' autofocus which means that while the shutter-button is half-pressed the camera will continue to attempt to re-focus when the subject is moving. Set your AF-area mode to Single-point AF or Dynamic-area AF and use the centre focus point in the viewfinder (at least initially till you start getting sharper results). Follow your dog in the viewfinder with the shutter-button half pressed - you should see the dog come into focus. Then press the shutter-button the full way to take the shot when desired.

- the Sports exposure setting (at 1/500) should be adequate to get reasonably sharp images. If you want to use shutter-priority (and get it working correctly) you will need to keep an eye on the exposure. The images above are f/5.6 1/500 ISO 900. Assuming similar lighting conditions, if your lens has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 at 55mm and you manually set the shutter-speed to 1/500, then you would also need to manually increase your ISO (800 would be close enough here) or the images will be underexposed. (Sports mode increases the ISO automatically I believe).

Let us know if this needs clarification...

Cheers.

thegrump
31-08-2015, 12:08am
I will copy all of this and take note. Thanks

thegrump
31-08-2015, 6:50pm
- set your focus-mode to AF-C. This is 'continuous' autofocus which means that while the shutter-button is half-pressed the camera will continue to attempt to re-focus when the subject is moving. Set your AF-area mode to Single-point AF or Dynamic-area AF and use the centre focus point in the viewfinder (at least initially till you start getting sharper results). Follow your dog in the viewfinder with the shutter-button half pressed - you should see the dog come into focus. Then press the shutter-button the full way to take the shot when desired.
Cheers.

Not quite the poses I wanted, but will keep trying

ameerat42
31-08-2015, 7:47pm
TG. Your dog doesn't look as fuzzy as he did before. Take him to the vet and get his "warmth" checked out.
:th3::th3::D