PDA

View Full Version : Inca polarizing filters?

Mark L
22-08-2015, 10:29pm
Anyone have anything to say about them?
A quick search on the net doesn't reveal much, so I'm suspicious.
Have come across one at a good price but am a bit time poor to do further research, hence the question.
Monday morning is the deadline.

ricktas
23-08-2015, 7:39am
Inca has been around for quite a few years now. Cannot say I have any of their products, except a few lens cleaning brushes etc. Interesting that you cannot find much about their filters online in the way of reviews etc. But I suppose no news, could be good new, cause generally people are all to happy to post complaints when a products fails, but if it works well, they often just use it, and don't really get online to praise it.

ameerat42
23-08-2015, 8:35am
Inca filters? I will own that I have never Perused any intelligence on the products.

- - - Updated - - -

--until now, that is.:cool:

arthurking83
23-08-2015, 11:14am
I've only heard of the name, but for stuff like batteries and suchlike. Didn't know they had filter too.

Just had a quick look at their website and from what I can see, I reckon they're just a 'reseller' brand, not a manufacturer in themselves.
(just a guess from looking at their product range)

So the assumption is that they have these filters(and other products) made for them under their own brand.
The manufacturer could be anyone!. Almost certainly in China, considering the price ranges of their products.

There is a very high probability that some other brand of filter is also being made at the exact same factory where Inca's products come from too .. so if there was some way of tracking tose other products, it's make a good guide as to Inca's quality too.

Are you looking to get this CPL filter locally(ie. from your most local store?)
What size and what is your price range?(obviously as low as possible, but do you have a budget?)

Mark L
23-08-2015, 9:22pm
Are you looking to get this CPL filter locally(ie. from your most local store?)
What size and what is your price range?(obviously as low as possible, but do you have a budget?)

There is no where local that I can buy and having a photographically time poor weekend in Sydney. Just happened across the 77mm CPL in JB Hifi while I briefly waited for some one. To $47 or not. Have until 09:00 tomorrow to decide.

ameerat42
23-08-2015, 9:32pm
Once more I set sail on the good ship Google in search of these elusive beasts. The dearth of topic is to be marvelled at, except for what they say about themselves.

Take your pick: a Quandary (think of this week's challenge:):)), or a dilemma (maybe another challenge:rolleyes:)

--Or do nothing. BTW, at H N's you can return it on the basis that it doesn't perform as it should, but I don't know if JB HF play the same choone.

arthurking83
24-08-2015, 12:04am
..... To $47 or not. ....

Ah! OK.
I'd look at it from this sort of POV: If you don't mind losing $50 on something that is nothing much more than a coaster, then it's worth the punt.
It may be an inexpensive 77mm CPL, but you'd probably be the only person in the world with a CPL coaster!(so there's still some cache in that claim :D)

Just after reading this thread, I also did a search out of curiosity as well as to try to offer more assistance, and came across a filter test done on The Digital Picture.
The result was very interesting.
The filter test I read wasn't for CPLs, but for ND filters. Hoya is a brand usually known for some quality stuff(of which I have some too) .. but they can also make some real c a r p too.
The particular lest looked positive in the Hoya's favour until the reviewer noticed, and was clear to see from the resultant images .. some very bad sharpness quality in the images from this filter.
All the other aspects of the Hoya ND was miles above the rest with a decently low price .. but the sharpness issue was the killer which by any measure you wouldn't bother with that particular Hoya ND filter.

The point being that if you can accept the limitations, it may turn out to be worth the expense.

I personally wouldn't tho.
That $50 can go towards a decently high quality $100 filter instead.

Mark L
24-08-2015, 7:03pm
I personally wouldn't tho.
That $50 can go towards a decently high quality $100 filter instead.

That was my conclusion so will be exploring the w.w.w. in the next few days for a CPL and cheap coasters.
Thanks.

arthurking83
25-08-2015, 9:18am
Years ago, I read a review on CPL filters.
The one that came out as the better option was the Marumi DHG Super model. Note that they also have a DHG model too(ie. without the Super), which is also very good .. I think that one came in towards the middle of the pack.
Back then they were around $100 for a 77mm sized filter from a couple of web stores. I've been having a 'difficult' time trying to find any e-tailers stocking them now tho.
Found one place on fleabay and they have them (77mm) for $110 with free postage.

Note that a very high quality CPL is a price range of between $200-$300 or so .. just for a bit of perspective.

Quick story: A few years back I ended up at the Melbourne photo show with Andrew(I@M) and during our day trip there, I found a stand that sold a bit of stuff from Kenko/Tokina/(and other's I can't remember)
At that time Kenko had a new range of filters called Zeta. They looked of a very high quality, and Kenko have been known to produce good glass.
I'd just got the Tamron 24-70/2.8 which uses an 82mm filter thread. Having looked all over the place for a CPL, I was resigned to the fact that I needed a min $250 .. usually more! .. for a CPL.
That was except for the Marumi Super model. They came in at about $150-180 or so.
At the stand tho, I asked the bloke manning the stand, how much for the 82mm Zeta CPL on the rack. He had no idea and had a quick look in a book. Came back with a $100 price, but a show special price of about $80 or so(can't remember exactly, but about that).
:eek: .. bluddy 'ell!
I snapped one up in an instant of course, and as he was struggling to find the cash to give me change .. I just accepted the $10 he had at the time and told him to keep the rest :D