PDA

View Full Version : Car Rig / Camera Poles

Tommo224
10-08-2015, 3:56pm
Hey guys,

OK so when building a rig for car shots, the poles used, is it better to get thicker heavier poles, or lighter thinner ones?

In my head the thicker heavier ones should be more stable (less wobble), and lighter ones being weaker may flex more.

However, I've also been informed that the weight of the camera itself should be lighter rather than heavier.

I've already sourced everything for my own kit, and will be working with a mate with his kit soon. Just want to get my head around all the equipment first! Poles are my only question at the moment.

Photo for illustrative purposes to show the set up I'm referring to:
https://chivethethrottle.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/camera-rigs-920-13.jpg

ameerat42
10-08-2015, 4:35pm
I'm wonder if it would matter. Apart from any flexing, there are other movements involved.
In addition, would the makes of such have not considered flexing as a potential problem. You might
have to go and get some detailed specs of their performances.
Am.

Tommo224
10-08-2015, 4:53pm
I'm purchasing separate pieces to build everything myself, I researched clamps, mounts, etc. But it's the poles that has stumped me.

Various sources of information say buying poles from any hardware store is sufficient, but no mention of what to look for when purchasing said poles! Other sources direct to pre-made kits, or say they use pre-made kits, again without any other information.

So I wanted to see if anybody with real world experience, would be able to help guide.

ameerat42
10-08-2015, 4:54pm
Hmm! Then a bit more general research. Still, would some of those sites not have specs?

Tommo224
10-08-2015, 4:56pm
Not particularly, just stuff like figuring out which joins to use, or find poles with joins so you can connect them together. But nothing about weighting of them :(

I just want to minimise bounce!

Also some of the shots I have planned in my head require more movement than just "smoothly pushing a car" haha. So lots of potential wobble, so I want to minimise that as much as I can!

mpb
10-08-2015, 5:19pm
When you say thickness, I assume you are taking about the wall thickness of the pole.
From a structural engineering point of view you would get more stiffness (therefore less wobble) from a pole with a thicker wall, however you would get a bigger increase in stiffness by increasing the diameter of the pole.

I agree that the weight of the camera is likely to be the biggest factor in causing movement rather than the weight of the pole.

the scientist
14-08-2015, 8:04pm
I made a cheap ghetto mount using an extending pool cleaner pole. From my experience with using that a couple of times, the weight of the camera is definitely a big factor (especially at the distance required to capture the whole car). Sounds like you're planning shots that would exceed the limits of such a setup. My gut says thicker and heavier would be better, as I think the weight of the camera would cause bounce even in the stiffest of lightweight poles.

ameerat42
14-08-2015, 8:07pm
OHH! Hang on a tick! A moment of INERTIA!!:D:D