PDA

View Full Version : Pocket wizards + SB700 advice needed

oneeyedphoto
08-08-2015, 12:36pm
Hi learned Flash guru's.

As a relative beginner in off camera flash, I've got a few questions that some of you far more experienced might know the answer to.

I have 2 SB700's, an SU800 commander and a D700. I'm fine with using these optically, but it's problematic in bright sun or at longer than the 10mtrs recommended with the line of sight issues.

Hence my desire to go to the radio trigger units. As my SB700's dont have a sync port, I've researched that I need to buy some PC adaptors with a sync cable, mount them under my SB700's, connect the other ends to the Pocket wizards in order for this to work.

So my questions are:

Do I get rid of the SU800 as this is redundant, if I buy the PW kit?
Will I be only able to use Manual Flash as I won't have the TTL option with this set up?
Should I sell both SB700's and get another Nikon flash that offers better/easier connectivity options with the PW's?
Can I get away with buying used PW II transmitter/receivers?
Does the Mini TT1 and Flext TT5 work with my current SB700's and how would I use the sync cable in this set up?

Hope someone out there can give me their sage advice.

Cheers, Russell

I @ M
08-08-2015, 1:51pm
Russell,
there are only a few Nikon camera bodies and speedlights that aren't PW compatible and your gear is in the "good" list --- see list here. http://wiki.pocketwizard.com/index.php?title=Nikon_Compatibility

The SB700 speedlights are compatible with the TT1 and TT5 triggers / receivers.

I see no reason to have to buy synch cables as the the SB700s should simply mount on the TT5 and work.

You will have full ttl compatibility as well as high speed synch.

Have you considered the newer and cheaper options that are on the market now from the likes of Phottix that are reported to be very capable.

I own and happily use the PW TT1 and TT5 combination for both speedlight ( SB 800 ) and studio strobe work. They work pretty near faultlessly.

oneeyedphoto
09-08-2015, 8:43pm
Thanks Andrew. Nice to know that the latest PW's will work Ok without sync cables and give me TTL. I hadn't considered the Phottix ones so thanks for the tip, much appreciated.:flash: