PDA

View Full Version : Anyone selling Benro tripods in Melbourne?

tduell
07-08-2015, 1:24pm
Hello All,
I'm looking for tripod, and after snooping about for a while, online, it looked like one of the Benro models would suit me.
I would like to eyeball the device before buying, but thus far I can only find a couple of sellers, both in Sydney.
One is alleged to be the Australian distributor, so emailed them for advice on retailers in Melbourne...but no answer was the stern reply!
Does anyone know of any Benro dealers in Melbourne where I check out the product?

Cheers,
Terry

MissionMan
07-08-2015, 1:40pm
Happy for you to come through and have a look at mine if that helps.

I'm based in Port Melbourne.

I'm generally pretty happy with mine.

tduell
07-08-2015, 1:48pm
Happy for you to come through and have a look at mine if that helps.

I'm based in Port Melbourne.

I'm generally pretty happy with mine.

Thanks for the offer MissionMan, I may take you up on that if I can't find a local dealer.
I would really like to compare the aluminium and carbon fibre versions.
What model do you have...so I can at least check it out on line?

Ooops...I see it now in your signature.

Cheers,
Terry

arthurking83
07-08-2015, 9:50pm
I definitely recommend a carbon version over a aluminium one.

Have seen many types over the years, and the carbon models are so much more sturdy.

J.davis
07-08-2015, 10:04pm
My Benro is over seven years old and is as good as new, just bought a mono pod to match it.
Go for aluminum, with clip lock legs.
Make sure that you can stand upright and use it (your height minus 200mm) without raising the centre piece.
My opinion only, but it works.

MissionMan
08-08-2015, 8:45am
Yeah. I'm the opposite. Carbon and twist is my preference.

tduell
08-08-2015, 10:42am
I have seen a number of comments on the leg locks and most are that the twist locks are better, but no explanation as to why.
My thinking is that carbon is probably going to be a stiffer structure, all other things being equal. I suspect that the carbon legs will have a thicker wall.
No advice on any local dealers, which is not good.

Cheers,
Terry

MissionMan
08-08-2015, 10:45am
I've just preferred twist but I've heard some people say that the clip locks can loosen over time and it's hard to adjust but I don't know whether there is any truth to it.

The main reason for carbon is the light comparative weight for a set of legs supporting the same weight. My personal reasons were less to do with weight and more to do with salt water spray

arthurking83
08-08-2015, 12:15pm

Agreed!

I have a manfrotto(Al) cliplock/fliplock and a Gitzo(cf) twistlock.

Twist lock type is less intrusive when packed away, and less likely to catch on anything which could cause a possible tipping of the tripod.
Flip lock types are slower to set up .. and even tho the difference is only measured in seconds, it's still a difference.
The other difference about the two different locking types that makes twist locks nicer is when you move about in short distances.

If I move from one location to another (nicer looking spot) and the walk may be a few minutes or so, I don't pack the entire tripod away knowing that in a minute or so I'll just set it up all over again.
Instead I just fold the legs together and (with camera still attached) just place the entire tripod, still fully extended, on my shoulder and move to the new location.
The slim line nature(non intrusive) of the twistlock doesn't dig into your body(in this case the shoulder), no matter how how you balance the tripod/camera setup as you carry it.

The other advantage of twist types compared to flip types is when you need small, micro, adjustments of a leg to level the tripod. The action of unlocking and sliding the leg is more fluent compared to flip types.

While the reality is that there really is no difference between which lock type you choose, twistlocks are overall nicer to use(having both types to work with).

As for Al vs cf material types, the only two advantages of Al is that they are always cheaper for a given tripod size, and the extra weight of an Al tripod can be 'handy' if you use a long-ish focal length.
But many of these tripods have extendable hooks where you can hang something off to add weight to the tripod anyhow .. so the weight advantage is rendered moot.
The added weight of an Al tripod is a burden most of the time(eg. as you wander about).

Conversely the obvious disadvantage of a cf tripod is that it always costs more. But if that price difference isn't a high priority then it's easily overlooked.

I've had my (Al) Manfrotto for over 10 years or so now, and in it's early days it was used heavily in all manner of wet conditions(salt/fresh/sand/etc)
It's still in good nick, so the 'salt water theory' as an impact on Aluminimum is something I've never experienced.
The only issue is when you get sand within each leg tube, the flip locks are a massive pain to disassemble to clean out the grit(which impacts the leg movement) compared to twist locks.
For that you need tools, whereas removing the twist locks is a tool less operation.

If you have ever read Thom Hogan's writings, he says spending more NOW on a tripod is almost always the cheaper option in the long run.

Bennymiata
09-08-2015, 6:30pm
I have 2 Benro cf tripods.
One is a small travel tripod and the other is a much taller version and they are both very good and can take abuse well.
For me, one of the main advantages of cf over al tripods is that cf tripods vibrate far less and for a shorter time than al ones do.
Stick a long lens on a fully extended al tripod, and every time you touch the camera to adjust focus etc, the al tripod will take 5-10 seconds to settle down and a similar cf tripod will only take 2 seconds.
I used to like taking moon shots with my 100-400 lens and my al tripod used to drive me mad.

Harry41
09-08-2015, 6:46pm
I have a Benro CF with twist lock legs and I love it. My fiance has a Manfrotto (can't recall whether AL or CF) with flip lock legs, and while it is nice and I wouldn't have a problem using it, I find mine is smoother and quicker to use. With a bit of practice you can get quite fast with extending legs and making adjustments on the fly to suit uneven ground.

J.davis
09-08-2015, 8:49pm
Each to their own, but when twist locks loosen over time, new tripod, my Benro clips are adjustable.
AK, it takes less time to flip a clip than turn a knob :)
Material is personal taste, I have no vibration on aluminium legs (my camera has auto focus) :)
I bought mine from the mob in Sydney, and while it's not nice to talk to them, they do deliver what's ordered.

mongo
09-08-2015, 9:16pm
Mongo can tell you from the Benro gear he owns that you could almost buy with confidence sight unseen - its very good quality gear. the only thing you need to satisfy yourself about is the most suitable configuration of thier various models for your specific needs

arthurking83
09-08-2015, 11:23pm
Each to their own ....

agreed, and we each have a particular preference.
Just like you can't convince someone who loves three way heads types that a ballhead is so much easier to operate...

... but when twist locks loosen over time, new tripod, my Benro clips are adjustable. ...

You'll find that the twist locks won't loosen over time .. no matter how hard you try to break them!

Just to be sure we're all on the same page with the term twist lock too(only because you mentioned the term 'knob'.

I'm pretty sure that all the comments re twist locks are referring to the smooth twist lock type that looks like:

There really isn't a knob as such, and hopefully you're not thinking of the twist locks of the type that are similar to the flip lock types.

Those twist lock types are usually much easier to operate than the older twist lock types where you 'turned a knob'.

The action involved in operating the twist lock type shown in the image is about as natural as you can get on a tubular structure like a tripod leg.

With the flip locks I'd never found a reasonable way to flip both locks in one movement .. while firmly holding the leg tube.

With the twist lock shown in the image above, the usual method is to release both locks in the one hand at the same time.
As you already have the tube in your hand, the action to pull the leg out is more fluent(and natural). To lock the legs, is just as easy.
The amount of twist required to release is only a few mm .. same with locking.

anyhow .. like we already agreed on .. each to their own.

As for vibration .. I can almost certainly 100% guarantee that you have vibration in your tripod.
Physically, it's impossible not to have it. It's simply hasn't caused you the same grief that some of us have seen(see bennymiata's reply re: moon shots)

Again on a physical (and hence technical note) .. aluminium resonates(ie. vibrations last longer) carbon doesn't and is stronger and stiffer than aluminium is.
Carbon dissipates vibrations much quicker too.
Combined with a good tripod head, a carbon tripod can yield extremely good results in difficult situations when it comes to smothering vibrations.

J.davis
10-08-2015, 8:23pm
My Manfrotto twist action locks (like your picture) failed, hence new Benro with lock tabs. (that's why the preference)
Hanging your bag on the centre leg seems to help with vibrations, or up your speed. :)

arthurking83
11-08-2015, 10:49am
My Manfrotto twist action locks (like your picture) failed .....

Aha! OK. never had a manfrotto with those lock types. My frotto is of the flip locks.

Also From what I've seen, the Benro versions of the twist locks are near identical to the Gitzo type(which I have).

In trying to pull apart my Gitzo once(thinking it was a complicated process) I broke the two plastic sliders that actually grip the leg tube as the force of the twist grip is exerted on them.
So, taking into consideration that the thin plastic pieces that do all the work are snapped in half(and heart in mouth) .. when I put it all together again it still worked perfectly .. and still does 6 or so years later without issue.
I guess that if you really tried(say using a plumbers wrench to completely over tighten them) .. I have yet to have any normal user issues with them failing in any way.
My experience is a matter of stupidity on my part for not being cautious when I stripped it down to clean it up.

Obviously the manfrotto twist lock system is different to the Benro(Gitzo) type then.

The issue with simply advising to 'hang your bag' or 'up your speed' is that it's not always practical or that it's an imposition.
There are so many varied possibilities for using a tripod, the key point is to get one that works well for the situations you'll find yourself shooting in.

as a quick example: I'm at home, and doing macro. The macro range is maybe 2x or 3x using a capable lens which may require some extention.
Hanging a bag(at home!) is an imposition that I don't really need.
Out in the field where an external factor may be problematic is different tho. In this case, the imposition of the added weight is worth the effort.
But at home, I'm in doors. I'd prefer the higher quality product rather than working around a lower quality product and imposing added burdens in myself

The speed issue is similar. if I need 1/3s for my shot, upping speed means more imposition. Either more light(cost) .. or higher ISO(quality).

And FWIW: the differences between an Al and cf tripod in my testing is very subtle. Bennymiata said it, and I agree, there are differences in the way a cf tripod dissipates vibrations compared to Al.
From a vague recollection I have of the tests I tried, I saw differences in the shutter speed range between about 1/30s and about 3 sec.

JasonR
16-08-2015, 1:27pm
Im also looking at getting a benro tripod as well. So this is a good read.
What is a good model for around the $400 mark?
For some long exposures?

tduell
16-08-2015, 1:40pm
Im also looking at getting a benro tripod as well. So this is a good read.
What is a good model for around the $400 mark?
For some long exposures?

I have finally made up my mind and ordered a GC168B1, $375. It appears to tick all the boxes for me, and hopefully still does when it arrives!

Cheers,
Terry

Bennymiata
21-08-2015, 6:22pm
I have a C3580T which is a pretty heavy duty tripod and weighs 2kg.
I like it because the viewfinder of my camera is above my eye height without the centre column being extended. The extra height really comes in handy, and I'm not hunched over all the time.

I also have a Benro travel cf tripod which has taken some heavy action over the years and is still in use.

JasonR
25-08-2015, 6:06pm
Thanks guys i just picked up a C3580T and all i can say is im impressed with the quality and how sturdy the tripod is.

MissionMan
25-08-2015, 7:38pm
Same one I have as well. It's an awesome tripod. Very happy with mine.

Might actually have to put up a review at some point.