PDA

View Full Version : Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC USD on a cropped body?

LittleSparrow
19-07-2015, 5:01pm
I just got a new D7100 (upgraded from my D3100) and am now looking at adding a new lens. I am looking at the Tamron 70-200mm but am concerned about putting it on a cropped body.
I want it mostly for portraits of my kids and pets when we are out at the park, day trips and also up close face shots. Would also likely use for landscapes occasionally. Would this lens be suitable for those thing if using on my new camera?
If not, could you recommend a good,sharp zoom lens that creates that lovely bokeh I see in the photos taken with the 70-200mm? My budget is $1500

teylward
19-07-2015, 6:38pm
I'm not really much of an expert on any of this, but I think that that lens will serve you well on the cropped body. Nice quick lens and good range. You might find yourself mainly on the lower end of the zoom, but it should be alright. I've got the Tamron 90mm on my D5000, but will be going to a full frame shortly, so having that full frame lens is a bonus if you decide to change later on. The D7100 looks pretty good from what I have read. Was close to upgrading to the D7200, but will try and save the extra bucks for the full frame.

ameerat42
19-07-2015, 7:20pm
LS. If you LOOK HERE! (http://www.tamron.com.au/di70-200_a001.html) you'll see that its minimum focus is 95 cm.
Also, its max angle of view is ~29 degrees on a crop body. Have you got any 70 mm lenses you can check this with so to judge
the distance from your subject you'll need to be? Apart from what you can fit into the lens in confined spaces, what other issues trouble you?
Am.

LittleSparrow
19-07-2015, 8:04pm
No, I don't have another 70mm to try with :( I have the 18-55 kit, 105mm macro and a 35mm 1.8.
I do plan on upgraded in the future to full frame which is another reason why i'm opting for an FX lens over a DX. Part of me wishes i'd just upgraded to a ff this time round but I was being greedy and wanted a new body and lens lol.
Distance from subject is really my only concern with this lens.
Every time i'm looking through flickr I see photos shot with that lens and I want it!!! Even on the D7100 they look amazing.

MissionMan
19-07-2015, 8:07pm
I'm one of those people that almost lives with their 70-200 on the body. I find its a nice unimposing lens for kids (or pets) because you can walk away from the action and let kids be kids while sitting back and taking photos. As a general rule, you normally get amazing background blur and bokeh with the 70-200, so much so, that I've found it difficult justifying an 85 f/1.4 because of the flexibility I have with the 70-200. It also has great focus speed which is important for kids. Lenses like the 85 f/1.4 are not focus kings.

I think you'll love the lens. From a focal length perspective, the only place you might find the 70 (cropped) being a problem will be indoors in some cases, but even then, you could easily carry a 35 or 50 and get something a little faster for those occasions. From a landscape perspective, you'll probably be disappointed, I can show you some landscape shots, but I've never bothered with it for landscapes, it's a portrait/sports lens.

I @ M
19-07-2015, 8:11pm
You have defined the type of photos that you want from a lens.
You have given a $ figure that you want to spend.
You have a very capable camera that will deliver excellent images paired with a good lens.
You have picked a fast aperture zoom with a very good reputation that fits your criteria very well.

I can't see any problems at all with the choice of lens, the field of view that you will have with all of the zoom range will suit full length ( kids running in the park ) captures and carefully posed ( if you can get said kids to sit still :D ) portraits of the head and shoulders style.

I think that you will be very happy with that lens and should be able to put one in your camera bag well under your budget.

LittleSparrow
19-07-2015, 8:51pm
Thank you, I've decided will get it. Everyone always tells me that I worry too much lol, so I probably am over thinking everything. I'm very frugal too, i'm one of those people that fill their online shopping cart with goodies only to get to the checkout and then start thinking "Ohhh... $500... hmmm, should I?" and then exit the website to mull over it for a while haha. And then typically the item is out of stock when I decide to log back on and go ahead with the purchase LOL!!
Anyway back to the lens..., Like you said, MissionMan, I could use my 35mm indoors so that won't be a problem.
Plus, when I do eventually upgrade to full frame i'll already have the lens to start having fun!

ameerat42
19-07-2015, 9:04pm
:D YOu too, eh!? Except, minus the online shopping cart for me.

Cage
19-07-2015, 9:23pm
Andrew pretty much said what I would have said.

I have the lens, love it, and can highly recommend it. Go for it Little Sparra'.

I @ M
20-07-2015, 6:06am
Just remember to make sure that you are being quoted prices for the correct model of that lens as there appear to be sellers trying to supply the earlier model at later model prices.

A quick staticice search brings up some good prices from reputable dealers ------ http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=tamron%2070-200&start=41&links=20&showadres=1&pos=1

peterb666
20-07-2015, 8:14am
The lens would serve you well and take you from a standard portrait lens to one that is fairly good at picking up headshots when there is a bit of distance between you and the subject.

As for focal length, it starts from just under half-way between your 18-55mm and your 105mm so easy enough to work out its suitability.

The lens sells for around the $1300 mark and I would be very suspicious of anyone advertising this lens under $1000.

LittleSparrow
20-07-2015, 10:17am
There is a Teds Camera in the city (Adelaide), so I'm going to take a trip in there on Wednesday to pick it up, rather than buy online. I may even go to the Japanese gardens afterward to play with it!!! :D

Cage
20-07-2015, 10:35am
Got mine from Teds too. :th3:

My first couple of shots with it were a bit disappointing until I realised I had to wait till the OS locked on. Only takes a split second. I also have the 24-70 and I'm rapt in the shots they produce.

LittleSparrow
20-07-2015, 12:18pm
I'll keep that in mind Cage!
Hope Wednesday comes fast!!

MissionMan
20-07-2015, 3:39pm
Only heads up I will give you is not to be surprised by the weight. It's a heavy lens, but it's worth every gram when it comes to the results it produces.

If you are using the standard strap, you may want to consider a sling strap that connects to the tripod foot of the lens itself, like a black rapid because it's not the type of thing to carry around your neck unless you're planning a neck operation.

As I mentioned earlier, my 70-200 is pretty much glued to my body most of the time.

Cage
05-08-2015, 5:21pm
Well Lil' Sparra, show us what you've done !!!!!

Shav Bird Photography
18-12-2015, 1:58pm
Hi Little Sparrow,

Sorry to thread mine. How did you go with this lens?

I have this exact lens on a D5300. I use it mainly for sports. Recently did a few shoots for the SA Futsal league which is all indoors. To compare it to something else I have also used the Nikon 70-200 F2.8 which is a 3k lens. I found the contrast of colors from the Tamron to be better in my opinion. The AF is a tad slower on the Tamron than the Nikon, but ever so slightly and you do learn to compensate as required.

As for weight, I agree it is heavy, so I invested in a monopod for my sports shots. Makes life worth living if you have one of these. Inexpensive and worth it if you value your arms.

Putting the shots on LR5, I found I didnt have to do too much editing. Some of the shots came out a little dark, but overall, nothing that couldn't be exposure compensated for and not looked washed out.

This is post edited
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5751/23793657296_24d0d773d6_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CfyHmC)Futsal UCA-37 (https://flic.kr/p/CfyHmC) by Shav Bird (https://www.flickr.com/photos/127751412@N04/), on Flickr