PDA

View Full Version : anyone used/using capture clip pro or similar?

glennb
13-06-2015, 5:23pm
I was looking at purchasing this https://peakdesign.com/store/capturepro to connect to my belt or front of my backpack. But I went into a camera store today and said he struggled to sell them when he had them in. So this got me thinking they are not as good/useful as they advertised. Has anyone had any experience in using this product?

nardes
13-06-2015, 9:00pm
Hi Glenn

I use it on a Think Tank belt and it is a very well designed and functional accessory. I was a bit concerned about looking like a nerd or black ops dude with camera and lens hanging from the belt, but in the end this did not bother me.

I mainly use it when bird watching so I can park the 5D Mk III with 100-400 lens in the clip (plate on 5D with lens collar rotated to the side) so I can use my bino’s.

I also use it with the Peak Design “Slide” strap across my shoulders, so the strap takes most of the weight with some of the weight taken by the clip on the belt. This is great when walking for several hours wearing the gear, it really reduces any fatigue but keeps the camera readily accessible. This arrangement also prevents the camera from swinging out if I have to bend over.

These accessories are relatively expensive but if you have a well-defined use for them and they meet those requirements, then in my opinion they are worth the outlay.

I found that putting a plate on the 100-400 made the camera/lens combo a little “wobbly” so I put the plate on the 5D body and just swing the lens collar to the side and mount the 5D into the clip.

Cheers

Dennis

farmmax
13-06-2015, 10:50pm
If you think you might look like a nerd in your gear, spare a thought me me wandering around with the camera in a baby carrier on the front of me. Best thing I ever did. It has removed any sensation of weight of the camera, and gives me all my hands and legs free for scrambling around. The carrier is well padded and extremely comfortable to wear. Best of all is the way my particular carrier is designed , the back support folds across the top of the carrier when I remove the camera and makes a support to take a lot of the weight of the camera. Means even slower shutter speeds for hand shooting. Another good thing was the price. Free from someone whom never used it for their baby :D

It comfortably takes the 50d with a 100-400 mm lens on it, pointed lens down in the carrier.

You can buy what is basically a baby carrier especially designed for a camera, but it was hundreds of dollars, so out of my reach.

MissionMan
13-06-2015, 11:29pm
I did a review on it here.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?136889-ThinkTank-Steroid-Speedbelt-with-Capture-Pro-vs-Blackrapid-strap-review&highlight=blackrapid

glennb
14-06-2015, 8:28pm
Thanks guys! Its now on the camera gear list :D