hi folks!
Sorry if I gatecrash this thread.
Am headed to Sydney in mid-to-end-July, and was planning a road trip to see:
Blue Mtns
Bathurst
Orange
Dubbo
Mudgee

Below is a rough outline of the route. Nothing's booked yet, so I'm happy to alter my plans based on recommendations.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm55/hkrlim/Sydney%20to%20Dubbo%20-%20Loop_zpskxgpyclm.jpg

My target is for a 5D4n road trip, starting Monday morning and arriving back in Sydney on Friday late evening.
I see recommendations for Capertee and Gardens of Stone, which I shall read up about.
Appreciate any advice rendered! :)

ameerat42
03-06-2015, 10:14am
That is a fairly good basic itinerary. Some of the more interesting "little gems" are to be found a little way off the beaten track.
Ie, just off a bit from what you've shown here. However, some little extra time is required to do such a thing justice.

May I ask if the time allotted is all you can spare? Each of the towns/regional cities you pass through has lots of things to offer.
Otherwise, basically, and in my opinion, you're just going to do a road trip passing though lots of similar places.

In part, I am saying that perhaps some of the off-road gems hinted at could become your main focus along the way instead of
some of the larger towns.

To your basic itinerary listed above, I might suggest:
- the Capertee Valley itself, along with an extra detour to Dunns Swamp, the smaller towns of Kandos, Rylstone.
If you are not in an impecunious state, you could take a helicopter ride from a location just outside Capertee.
Here is a link with some info: http://www.visitmudgeeregion.com.au/locations/capertee-valley-helicopters.

- A detour to take in the historic towns of Hill End and Sofala (Gulgong near Mudgee goes without saying.) The road
from Ilford to Sofala has some pretty spectacular vistas, though it is narrow and you'd need to pull over and stop.

- Another suggestion is the road back from Dubbo to Mudgee. IMO, passing along the narrow ones through Goolma is
way more enjoyable than the longer way through Dunedoo.

- Off the Gt Wstn Hwy even just a trip towards the fabled Jenolan Caves (where bankruptcy awaits) affords spectacular
Blue Mtns views. Nearby in Lithgow, take a road that leads to Hassans Walls lookout.

- Of Dubbo itself, do you intend to take about 3-4 hours and visit the zoo (walk around, it's better)?

- I could go on, but I don't want to presume on your trip too much. Basically, you will see a lot of "similar" stuff, but you will pass though
quite different geographical areas, and ther are notable differences to discover everywhere you go.

(Cripes! You make me feel like doing it now:rolleyes:)

Yeah, 5 days will be an "intro" to the (vast) region. However, may you have an enjoyable journey.

Am.

kevin301
03-06-2015, 1:58pm
thanks Am for the very detailed reply :)
I'm slowly digesting the info you have so kindly provided.

Regarding the amount of time I have allocated: Well I shall be in Sydney for about 8 days, and have set aside the weekends to spend time with friends, hence leaving the 5 working days as the opportunity for a road trip.
I realize it will be insufficient to explore the area in great detail, but just as an 'overview' of country NSW. Heck, with airfares between Singapore and Sydney remaining fairly affordable, I can see myself visiting every now and then.

If time is tight, I may consider bypassing Dubbo, and turning toward Mudgee via Wellington and Goolma. That might give me more time to spend in the Capertee Valley.

farmmax
03-06-2015, 9:30pm
You could loose yourself for 5 days just in the Blue Mountains. When I drive along the Bells Line of Road, I think to myself it would have to be one of the more scenic drives in the world.

Capertee Valley is spectacular. Visit Dunns swamp down at the Olinda end. Make sure to visit the old Shale workings at Glen Davis in the valley as well.

A little known place to visit is Ferntree Gully, just down the Rylstone - Bylong Valley way. The walk down into the gully itself is fascinating. You can do it comfortably in an afternoon. Lots and lots to photograph there. If you didn't particularly want to return to Sydney via the Blue Mountains, you can go via the Bylong Valley to Denman and into Sydney from the Hunter Valley. The road through the Bylong and to Denman is pretty special. It used to go through a mountain in a railway tunnel at one time, but now the railway has stolen it back, you have to drive up and over the mountain.

From Lithgow, the trip out to the Glow Worm Tunnel on the Newnes plateau is well worth it. You go through some great scenery, as well as drive through the first old railway tunnel. The walk down to the second tunnel is fairly easy, and hopefully there is not too much water running though the tunnel to walk through, because other than the glow worms, what awaits you at the other end of the tunnel is enchanting.

Don't forget how cold it can get at that time of the year, including snow in the Blue Mountains. Bring lots of warm clothes if you are acclimatised to Singapore's climate! It went down to -5°C here last night.

Mark L
03-06-2015, 9:32pm
If time is tight, I may consider bypassing Dubbo, and turning toward Mudgee via Wellington and Goolma. That might give me more time to spend in the Capertee Valley.

That's not a bad idea. Unless you wanted to visit the zoo in Dubbo you won't see much different travelling the extra distance.
Maybe go up to Parkes if this interests you ...... http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/.
Then cut across to Wellington. Go via Parkes anyway, a much more interesting drive than simply Orange to Wellington.
Gardens of Stone is fairly inaccessible unless you have a 4WD and takes time.
Go to Capertee from Mudgee via Glen Davis.

ameerat42
03-06-2015, 9:34pm
... -5°C here last night...

A veritable heatwave, Farmmax!!

- - - Updated - - -

In town we often get thick frosts at 8 pm. OK, sometimes.

farmmax
03-06-2015, 9:49pm
We are down on 0°C already :( I hate the cold. It is supposed to be a little warmer tonight than last night, but I have my doubts.

Hope you are reading this Kevin. Be warned :D

Mark L
03-06-2015, 11:41pm
So AM and farmmax, can we get a mini AP meet happening with Kevin as he freezes in Mudgee.:lol2:

kevin301
04-06-2015, 4:06pm
You could loose yourself for 5 days just in the Blue Mountains. When I drive along the Bells Line of Road, I think to myself it would have to be one of the more scenic drives in the world.

Capertee Valley is spectacular. Visit Dunns swamp down at the Olinda end. Make sure to visit the old Shale workings at Glen Davis in the valley as well.

A little known place to visit is Ferntree Gully, just down the Rylstone - Bylong Valley way. The walk down into the gully itself is fascinating. You can do it comfortably in an afternoon. Lots and lots to photograph there. If you didn't particularly want to return to Sydney via the Blue Mountains, you can go via the Bylong Valley to Denman and into Sydney from the Hunter Valley. The road through the Bylong and to Denman is pretty special. It used to go through a mountain in a railway tunnel at one time, but now the railway has stolen it back, you have to drive up and over the mountain.

From Lithgow, the trip out to the Glow Worm Tunnel on the Newnes plateau is well worth it. You go through some great scenery, as well as drive through the first old railway tunnel. The walk down to the second tunnel is fairly easy, and hopefully there is not too much water running though the tunnel to walk through, because other than the glow worms, what awaits you at the other end of the tunnel is enchanting.

Don't forget how cold it can get at that time of the year, including snow in the Blue Mountains. Bring lots of warm clothes if you are acclimatised to Singapore's climate! It went down to -5°C here last night.

Thanks so much for all the tips! :)
Jotting them all down and seeing how much I can slot into my short road trip :)
Do I need any particular equipment (e.g. a bright torch light) to navigate the tunnel?

The temperature sounds great! Will be a huge change from typical Singapore weather, naturally! :)

ameerat42
04-06-2015, 4:08pm
Specifically for the cave I don't know, but I reckon always carry a torch in the car.
Am.

kevin301
04-06-2015, 4:09pm
We are down on 0°C already :( I hate the cold. It is supposed to be a little warmer tonight than last night, but I have my doubts.

Hope you are reading this Kevin. Be warned :D

So AM and farmmax, can we get a mini AP meet happening with Kevin as he freezes in Mudgee.:lol2:

That sounds like a GREAT idea if it can happen :)

Mark L
04-06-2015, 10:55pm
farmmax is having heart seizers.:lol2:
Once you figured your final plans I'll try and catch up with you Kevin.

ameerat42
04-06-2015, 11:10pm
So as not to be left out like a vegetable, lettuce know when you'll be there, cos I might be able to asparagus some thyme and come up.

farmmax
05-06-2015, 12:24am
Definitely need a torch for the glow worm tunnel. It is around 400m in length and is curved. A creek now flows through the bottom of it, and if it is too wet, you may not be able to go through. Normally the creek takes up about 1/3 of the floor, so is no problem. http://www.lithgow-tourism.com/glowworm.htm

kevin301
05-06-2015, 6:35pm
So as not to be left out like a vegetable, lettuce know when you'll be there, cos I might be able to asparagus some thyme and come up.

awwww you're cracking me up! :lol:

OK here is my rough itinerary thus far:
17 Jul - Arrive Sydney
18 - Sydney
19 - Sydney
20 - Start road trip; stay Lithgow
21 - Orange
22 - Orange
23 - Mudgee
24 - Lithgow
25 - Sydney
26 - au revoir !!

Forgot to say that night of 22nd is a toss-up between Orange and Mudgee.
At the moment perhaps am more inclined toward Mudgee, but we'll see.

ameerat42
05-06-2015, 6:42pm
I was going to say something... I remembered today... -- ???---

Oh! That's it. Kevin. On (let me generalise) Aus country roads, like where you're going, be very careful at dusk and at night
that you don't hit kangaroos/wallabies. It pays to have 1) pretty good lights (most std car likes lights are OK), and 2) to slow a good 10 kph.

I'm talking from experience - 3 times over the years. You don't see 'em. Once was already enough.

If your fellow travellers are not aware, fill 'em in.

kevin301
08-06-2015, 1:28pm
I was going to say something... I remembered today... -- ???---

Oh! That's it. Kevin. On (let me generalise) Aus country roads, like where you're going, be very careful at dusk and at night
that you don't hit kangaroos/wallabies. It pays to have 1) pretty good lights (most std car likes lights are OK), and 2) to slow a good 10 kph.

I'm talking from experience - 3 times over the years. You don't see 'em. Once was already enough.

If your fellow travellers are not aware, fill 'em in.

Thanks very much for this advice!
Have not been 'fortunate' enough to encounter roos, and I guess complacency does set in after a while.
Shall make a mental note, and maybe also a sticker to place on the dashboard! :)

antony
09-06-2015, 7:38pm
2) to slow a good 10 kph.But, do people actually drive at 10 kph?

ameerat42
09-06-2015, 8:06pm
Only if they started at 20KPH:D

I actually said "slow a...", not "slow to...". Generally, it is understood that's from the posted limit, which on those roads is 100KPH.

Of course, if its a "View with a Roo" you want...:D

Ged
09-06-2015, 11:52pm
You may like to check out the Farmers Creek Twin Viaducts at Bowenfels (Lithgow). One of the most photographed railway bridges in Australia.

kevin301
10-06-2015, 5:04pm
Only if they started at 20KPH:D

I actually said "slow a...", not "slow to...". Generally, it is understood that's from the posted limit, which on those roads is 100KPH.

Of course, if its a "View with a Roo" you want...:D

Haha... I might do 80, just to be safe! ;)

antony
10-06-2015, 9:57pm
I actually said "slow a...", not "slow to...".
I obviously can't read. Sorry.

Mark L
11-06-2015, 9:42pm
I obviously can't read. Sorry.
Don't be sorry, it made me smile.:)

kevin301
16-06-2015, 2:58pm
ok so I've made tentative bookings at some of the towns along the way, and also sorted out the rental car. Just need to plan out what gear to bring and what sort of clothing to pack! :)

Mark L
16-06-2015, 11:31pm
^ compared to what you are used to it will be cold. At that time of year the max. temp. can be in single digits.:eek: Not always, but prepare for that.

farmmax
16-06-2015, 11:39pm
It's totally wet and miserable here today, but hopefully it will be clear for you. Our maximum temperature today was 13°C. At least the rain is keeping the temperature tonight above zero.

Pack everything you own :D

ameerat42
16-06-2015, 11:44pm
It's totally wet and miserable here today, but hopefully it will be clear for you. Our maximum temperature today was 13°C. At least the rain is keeping the temperature tonight above zero.

I was going to say...
x=1
Dowhile x<=100
Pack a coat to wear
Endwhile

In Bris at the moment, wet and miserable here too.

On the other hand, you'll see it wet and miserable.

kevin301
17-06-2015, 6:12pm
^ compared to what you are used to it will be cold. At that time of year the max. temp. can be in single digits.:eek: Not always, but prepare for that.

I was going to say...
x=1
Dowhile x<=100
Pack a coat to wear
Endwhile

In Bris at the moment, wet and miserable here too.

On the other hand, you'll see it wet and miserable.

hehe thanks folks!
Yup I'll most certainly be prepared.
Oddly, I do love the cold (makes you wonder why I call Singapore home... ;) )

Well, I go with no expectations, so even if every day is wet and 'miserable' I would not complain! :D