PDA

View Full Version : Dubbo

arnica
17-05-2015, 9:33pm
Hi All,

I'm thinking about going to Dubbo in the June long weekend. We will be visiting the zoo whilst we are down there. I'm wanting to take some landscape photos whilst down there. Is there anyone that can recommend me some locations to shoot? Also is Dubbo dark enough for some night/astrophotography?

mudman
17-05-2015, 10:21pm
north of Dubbo,at Coonabarabran are the Warumbungles.
if you are driving there are plenty of scenic places along the way at Orange and Bathurst for example.
don't try and see too much, the zoo will take a whole day to get around.

Mark L
17-05-2015, 10:22pm
Night/astrophotography is okay. If you have a particular part of the sky you want to get, take one of the main roads and head towards it so Dubbo is behind you. 20/30 kms and it will be dark.
Landscapes? If you like flat lands, head north in the morning and hope for some fog to make a sunrise interesting.:lol2: Or go home via Mudgee.;)
Why do people go to Dubbo?:D

antony
18-05-2015, 2:43pm
Dubbo has a gaol.

ameerat42
18-05-2015, 3:43pm
Dubbo has a gaol.

Which you can pay to go to. I think you pass GO on the way, too:D

Grant S
18-05-2015, 4:27pm

Some of them might live there. Why they do is another question entirely. :D

mudman
18-05-2015, 5:13pm
Some of them might live there. Why they do is another question entirely. :D

what's with the 2830 knocking? that's my home town you blokes are bad mouthing

Grant S
18-05-2015, 5:17pm
And one I've visited quite a bit too, it has its own charm but one might ask why you don't live there anymore...;):D

Mark L
18-05-2015, 7:35pm
what's with the 2830 knocking? that's my home town you blokes are bad mouthing
Not sure there's much knocking going on. just people searching for interesting reasons to go there.:D
I have to visit a sister-in-law there occasionally. Very interesting.:rolleyes:

mudman
18-05-2015, 8:24pm
And one I've visited quite a bit too, it has its own charm but one might ask why you don't live there anymore...;):D

i did not have much say in the matter, i was 3 and a half:lol:

Mark L
18-05-2015, 9:21pm
Or go home via Mudgee.;)

Phil, this is actually a good option to investigate future landscape photos. Many people drive from Dubbo to Sydney via Mudgee. Only takes about 30 minutes longer but is a much more relaxed drive.
Let my know if you want a free lunch (well that may depend how many people are with you:lol2:) or a simple cuppa break if you decide to come this way.

Grant S
18-05-2015, 10:22pm
Some very nice landscapes near Mudgee with the Capertee Range and the Gardens of Stone. both take a bit of time to get to and explore properly though.

ameerat42
19-05-2015, 8:54am
Just a thing... If you do take the Mudgee leg, SAVE TIME and DISTANCE by going through Goolma, AND,
don't drive just after dusk because of the roos. Kangar:eek::eek:s, ie. (Strictly, probably wallabies, but
they sure make a dent in you car!!)

arnica
25-05-2015, 10:48am
LOL I go away for a few days and come back and see so many posts here ...

OK, we've booked out accommodation in Dubbo. We've got 4 nights in Dubbo. For 2 days, we've planning on going to the zoo. One of the other days we're thinking of doing a day trip up to Warrumbungle National Park and go for a walk.

In the evening, once the kids are in bed, I'm hoping to find a dark enough area in the region to shoot some stars. I checked the moon rise times and there will be no moon during the dates we're in Dubbo. Arh fudge .. I read it incorrectly, the moon will be close to 100% ... I still pray for cloudless skies.

On our way up to Dubbo, we will be going via Mudgee, this is so it allows me with an opportunity to scout the route for our return trip. Plus, it also will provide me with the chance to find some interest for the evening shoots.

ameerat42
03-06-2015, 8:56am
Gatecrashing the thread as such is not a problem, but I don't think you're going to get the proper responses by having your
post just here. I will shift it to its own thread and change the name to something like "NSW Road Trip".
Am.

Actually NSW Central West Trip (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?139764-NSW-Central-West-Trip)

kevin301
03-06-2015, 12:40pm
Gatecrashing the thread as such is not a problem, but I don't think you're going to get the proper responses by having your
post just here. I will shift it to its own thread and change the name to something like "NSW Road Trip".
Am.

Actually NSW Central West Trip (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?139764-NSW-Central-West-Trip)

Thanks so much for that :)