PDA

View Full Version : Nfc wifi phone compatible cameras

celowbe
12-05-2015, 12:37pm
Am thinking of moving into the new generation of cameras, ones compatible for NFC connectivity through your smartphone to have full control through the phone while camera is on a tripod. Need it for better selfies....kidding. Been getting into a bit of fashion photography and sometimes have to use myself as the maniquine. Any recommendations or reviews you guys have done please let me know. TIA

ameerat42
12-05-2015, 12:42pm
Nfc wifi phone compatible cmaeras
Call it a lucky guess, but I just knew you meant "cameras":D

celowbe
12-05-2015, 12:43pm
Ahhh yes haha I havent even gotten used to qwerty keypads yet haha

bitsnpieces
12-05-2015, 1:50pm
Just about all, or most, micro four third cameras have this wireless stuff now.

The Sony a5000 - a7ii series have it also.

For DSLRs, you'll be looking at the a77 onwards.

For Nikon and Canon, I'm not sure, but they've got their range too.

One thing to note is that it'll be app specific, if I remember correctly, and Sony's PlayMemories app isn't all that yet. It works, but it's very basic - the Sony line may not have everything you need, so make sure you double check that stuff.

Their official forum is http://community.sony.com/

ricktas
12-05-2015, 8:11pm
Wireless and NFC are two different things. Most cameras that use wireless use WiFi. NFC is near field communication- Like the chip on your credit card where you tap it to pay etc. What you seek is a camera with WiFi.

You can also get SD cards that include wifi so that you can have a WiFi commection in fairly much any camera that uses an SD card : http://www.eyefi.com/

celowbe
12-05-2015, 9:27pm
Been looking at either the a5000 or a6000. Seems sony is getting the most market sales with samsung and others not coming anywhere near from what ive been seeing from market reviews. Getting sick of tethering my dslr and manual focusing etc.

celowbe
12-05-2015, 9:30pm
Wireless and NFC are two different things. Most cameras that use wireless use WiFi. NFC is near field communication- Like the chip on your credit card where you tap it to pay etc. What you seek is a camera with WiFi.

You can also get SD cards that include wifi so that you can have a WiFi commection in fairly much any camera that uses an SD card : http://www.eyefi.com/
Thanks for that ricktas. I thought it was the nfc that was doing the wireless functions and onscreen on phone. Thanks for clearing thst one up. Might be able to try a cheaper option (samsung and the likes) to see if it is as useful as i would think, and if would use it as much i think i would

arthurking83
12-05-2015, 9:53pm
As far as I'm aware(and what I've experienced in person) .. you can control the camera using a Wifi connection, but the NFC feature is simply for transferring files(or maybe a single image) to a NFC capable portable device like a tablet or phone, or whatever.

So you won't get camera remote control with NFC.

Although in saying that, my only NFC/WiFi capable camera is a Samsung Galaxy Camera.

So for the reasons you posted, you want to look for Wifi capable cameras, as NFC will be of no use to you (unless you simply want it for quick file transfers).

Note that some camera makers are better than others at offering usable Wifi remote software.

The more important aspect is not just the Wifi component in the camera, many cameras without Wifi can still be set up with some thirdparty gear to work wirelessly by remote.
What's more important is the ability to properly control the camera, eg. setting shutter speed, aperture and all manner of other generally used variables.
So, the remote app will be(or should be) the more significant factor if this is your priority.

As far as I'm aware, Samsung's NX series appear to have one of the best native(manufacturer supplied) remote apps.
Olympus is very good as well, and I think Sony is quite good too.
I'm fairly sure the Nikon app for controlling a Nikon Wifi camera is pretty terrible if you want some form of camera setting control (remotely).
I think the idea is that you do all the setup physically on the camera, and the remote app just releases the shutter, and gives you a small jpg review file to look at on the remote device.

The major drawback of using Wifi as the remote controller system is power usage, as Wifi has a tendency to quickly drain most long lasting batteries(both camera and remote device).
So if this is something you plan to do regularly and for some time each time you do, factor in an AC power lead/adapter/doodad for the camera.

phild
12-05-2015, 10:38pm
6D has wifi and works for both remote operation and download of images with iphone, ipad & android devices using the free EOS remote app.

celowbe
13-05-2015, 8:10am
Thanks for that arthurking83. You are on the ball. Im only really interested in having all the functions, viewfinder, etc on my phone and away from the camera.

Ill be havung a look at the sony a6000, samsung, and few others tomorrow night hopefully to see how their app is and what you can do on the phone.

celowbe
13-05-2015, 8:13am
6D has wifi and works for both remote operation and download of images with iphone, ipad & android devices using the free EOS remote app.
Wouldnt mind having the 6d but if i was going to get that id get an itch to just upgrade and get the 5diii just cos ill be upgrading my 7d. Plus mainly looking at compacts/mirrorless for now. Bit bulky lugging the dslr sometimes