PDA

View Full Version : After a small backpack or waist bag for day out photographing

glennb
01-05-2015, 9:21pm
Hi all, I was hoping you guys could help me find a small backpack or waist bag to use when out for a day photographing. I would like it to fit a drink bottle, one lens max size(tam 70-200 2.8), lunch, cleaning gear/extra battery etc... and maybe strap a monopod to it. I was thinking of a small backpack that sits nice and snug in the middle of your back (like those runners back packs) but cant seem to find one that suits my needs, all back packs seem to fit 3+ lenses etc... so Im thinking a waist bag. Can anyone suggest something that would suit my needs?
Cheers

bcys1961
01-05-2015, 9:35pm
I use a Lowepro Inverse 200 AW. It is a belt pack. I have been very happy with it.

http://store.lowepro.com/beltpacks/inverse-200-aw

I can fit my OMD-EM-1 with 12-40mm lens fitted , plus carry the 40-150m and Macro lens in it. Has straps on the bottom that can secure a tripod or monopod. Two side pockets that take drink bottles etc and a front pouch for other odds and ends etc....

glennb
01-05-2015, 9:59pm
Thanks brad, do have my eye on that pack.

phild
01-05-2015, 10:02pm
I use a Flipside 400 AW for storage and occasional travel, but as a daypack it's too bulky and heavy. Before that I had a Lowepro Orion Trekker, which I still use.

The Orion trekker is a perfect day bag, you can fit a dslr , second lens and there's ample room for a few extras in the top compartment, it's quite roomy without being bulky and nicely balanced with a little weight on board.

The Orion Trekker is the most comfortable backpack I've ever used, I even take it on the mountain bike with provisions when we go for a ride and when we go for a day hike.

IMO if you can find one they are the perfect day pack.
(there are a couple of orion Trekker II's new on ebay at the moment.)

I believe there is also an orion Daypack 200 which is a later version.

A review of the Trekker II with some pics

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161578

glennb
01-05-2015, 10:47pm
Thanks Phil, will have a look into that series of packs.

bcys1961
01-05-2015, 10:55pm
Thanks brad, do have my eye on that pack.

No problem. The other thing I did not mention is that I find the benefit of a belt pack is that you are free to also wear a back pack if you wanted to . This could be full of non-camera related gear , or whatever so you can take much more if you wanted to . When I go bush walking with my wife I usually end up wearing both the belt pack with camera gear and the back pack with lunch, jumpers , books , I-pads etc.... . ( She carries nothing , and then she wonders why I'm slower than her in walking the track!).

ricktas
02-05-2015, 8:43am
No problem. The other thing I did not mention is that I find the benefit of a belt pack is that you are free to also wear a back pack if you wanted to . This could be full of non-camera related gear , or whatever so you can take much more if you wanted to . When I go bush walking with my wife I usually end up wearing both the belt pack with camera gear and the back pack with lunch, jumpers , books , I-pads etc.... . ( She carries nothing , and then she wonders why I'm slower than her in walking the track!).

wife training, you are doing it wrong!

Fruengalli
02-05-2015, 9:19am
I got a Lowepro Photo Hatchback AW which is available in 16 & 22l versions.(mine is the 22l version). Small ,waterproof backpack with top half for goodies etc & a separate padded bottom half for camera gear. Takes my 5dII with a 24-105 lens on it plus another lens in the bottom & rain coat, water etc in the top. The center divider is velcroed in so you can take it out & have a full backpack. Works well for me.

nimrodisease
02-05-2015, 12:43pm
I can highly recommend an f-stop Kenti bag - https://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/kenti.html#.VUQ5N_mqpBc

It can hold several lenses, if you want... BUT if you're only taking one lens, you can use the other side access to store a ~1.25L water bottle. I found this arrangement quite good for day hikes. Plenty of space in the top for lunch etc.

glennb
02-05-2015, 10:18pm
I can highly recommend an f-stop Kenti bag - https://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/kenti.html#.VUQ5N_mqpBc

It can hold several lenses, if you want... BUT if you're only taking one lens, you can use the other side access to store a ~1.25L water bottle. I found this arrangement quite good for day hikes. Plenty of space in the top for lunch etc.

Thanks John, I came across that pack a while ago and forgot all about it, think I will get this pack for my bigger walks. It looks very impressive and well made and I like the design too.