PDA

View Full Version : scaling to absolute measurements (mm)

landyvlad
06-04-2015, 12:34pm
I managed to get this image to exactly 300mm width - in order to get the templates correct, the problem is that 30cm is just a tad long for a A4 page.

How do I crop it AND ensure that the templates are at the correct scale.

Thanks

ameerat42
06-04-2015, 12:40pm
Q1. What have you got to crop with?

Remark 1: If there is a printing option like "scale to fit page", then DO NOT use it, but use 100%.

Remark 2: Your resulting print on an A4 sheet will lose the outer edges of this image, but the templates
are well within the A4 size (297mm) page size.

paulheath
06-04-2015, 12:41pm
do you have Photoshop? if so just open a new file pick A4 , then open ^ this image pick lasso , or marquee tool then select area around your image ( as tight as possible ) then ctrl and hold drag your selection up to your blank a4 file and it will automatically open that file release mouse/pen and it will drop image that you have cut onto a4 you can move it to any position with the move tool.

ameerat42
06-04-2015, 12:42pm
PS: If using Photoshop, you might get scary messages something like "Iage is too big and will be cropped",
but don't worry about them.

landyvlad
06-04-2015, 1:48pm
Thanks. Yep I have photoshop elements

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm, when I open a new A4 page it opens in a new tab. How can I drag between tabs?
Cut and paste doesn't work as it makes it tiny on the new page.

ameerat42
06-04-2015, 2:02pm
Cripes, you must be talking to Paul, as I can't relate to that in my version of Photoshop (CS2).

If you just want to print it at the "right" size, I can describe how without the cut-paste referred to.

In my CS2 version, I select File/Print with Preview.
(Select printer, paper size, etc. - For this pic, a Landscape orientation of the paper.)

I see a preview of the page with the image. Alongside are size and positioning boxes.
Just make sure you centre the image, and set it at 100% (default when scaling is NOT selected).

See below...

Print Preview dialog in CS2

paulheath
06-04-2015, 2:11pm
Thanks. Yep I have photoshop elements

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm, when I open a new A4 page it opens in a new tab. How can I drag between tabs?
Cut and paste doesn't work as it makes it tiny on the new page.

exactly that... you drag to the tab and it should open it on that new file..

- - - Updated - - -

ok so open your file then open new file ( named mine A4 ) cut out with lasso or marquee hold ctrl drag the section to (A4) as indicated it will then open A4 , release mouse and your selection will be placed into A4 page.