PDA

View Full Version : Calibrator for Dell Ultrasharp Monitor

Cage
01-04-2015, 12:48pm
OK, now the new Dell U2515H is on the way it's time to think about a calibration device.

I'm starting to pick up a little paid work so my requirement is to have my colour fairly accurate, so that any of my stuff that finds it's way onto a web page or to a printer is going to be pretty close representation of how it should be. At this point in time I don't have any intention to get a semi-pro printer.

From my online wanderings it seems like the X-Rite gear is more 'Dell-friendly' than some other offerings so I've decided to go the X-Rite route. Apart from their perceived 'Dell-friendliness' they seem well reviewed and generally well thought of.

I've narrowed my choice down to the ColorMunki Smile @ $85.00 or the ColorMunki Display @ $169.00. A visit to the X-Rite website gave me this excellent comparison of their models... http://blog.xritephoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/L7-496_ProductComparison_en1.pdf

Both offerings use the same software, however the 'Display' offers a Basic and Advanced mode, Ambient Light Measurement, Ambient Light Auto Monitor and Adjust, and has an integrated Ambient Diffuser.

Now if I'm coming across as knowing what I'm talking about, well I don't.

I know what 'ambient' means but how these extra functions would be pertinent to my fairly basic calibration needs is new ground for me as I have never calibrated a monitor before.

I figure I have some control over my ambient light settings but I am not understanding when, or if, the extras will be beneficial for me.

Enlightenment please. :lightbulb:

Cage
01-04-2015, 8:57pm
After some more googling, and some more reviews, I think this comprehensive write-up on the ColorMunki Display gives me some insight into the benefits of adjustment for differing ambient scenarios.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/profiling/colormunki_display.html#colormunki_display

Looks like I may have answered my questions. And of course, it's the dearer option.