PDA

View Full Version : Need some assistance with new gear

aaron cooper
28-03-2015, 3:47pm
Hey everyone,

As the title suggests, I have the chance to upgrade my gear and looking for some help.

I'm looking at spending around $1000 and am currently using a Nikon D3100 with a 18-55mm lese.

I have borrowed a Sony AX35 I think which I also don't mind.

I seen the Nikon D5200 and was thinking about going for that as my preferred choice but really want some feedback as I'm also trying to get more serious about photography, but am limited to what I can spend.
Any advise, suggests would be great

ricktas
28-03-2015, 5:53pm
First question. What is wrong with your current camera that you think you need to upgrade it?

Second question: Why not invest in better lenses, based on the genre you shoot?

Hawthy
28-03-2015, 6:59pm
Hi Aaron,

I have a little experience with both the D3100 and the D5100, which should be similar to the D5200. The reason that I have a little experience with both is because I bought both in the same online auction. Take my tip - never mix red wine with online auctions. Happy days though, my brother took the D3100 off my hands for auction price.

In my opinion, the D5100 has more intuitive controls. It also has a flip-out screen, which is really useful for still life or video. But other than that they are really quite similar in most respects. Unless you are turning pro, I don't think that upgrading your camera is the best investment in your photography.

Rick is probably correct. An investment in some ancillary equipment such as lenses, lighting equipment or even a tripod will probably bring you a faster improvement for the money. Just my thoughts. That said, if you are definitely going to buy another Nikon DSLR, maybe step up another level to the D7100 so that you won't be doing this again in 12 months.

Good luck.

aaron cooper
28-03-2015, 7:49pm
Cheers guys..

The reason fir the upgrade is that the camera is actually my wife's. It was a gift for her a couple of years ago and she never really used it and all I wanted to do was go and get pictures of lightning. Whilst waiting I took some photos of landscape..... and moved into find myself enjoying this new hobby. Recently she has found an interest in taking portrait photography and we thought that maybe photography is something that we can do together.

Do you think buying the same camera might do the trick but spend the extra $$ on better lenses and tri-pod maybe for the landscape photography that Im doing?

Hawthy
28-03-2015, 8:21pm
Well...that changes everything. The wife can get by nicely with the D3100 and you can go absolutely nuts!

Have you thought about a Red Epic Dragon? http://www.red.com/products/epic-dragon . This will cover everything from a snapshot to Imax cinematography. The price point is just a little above yours. They are about $30K. When I win Lotto this is on the top of my list.

Seriously though, a D5200 will do everything that you require. A D7100 will do it just a bit better. All DSLR camera bodies these days are great. Go and have a look at a few because it comes down to a personal preference. Stick with Nikon though so that you and the wife can share lenses.

CandidTown
28-03-2015, 8:44pm
Don't buy new gear because you have the money.
Buy it if you are unable to make a photograph with your current camera.
If you pushed this current camera to it's limits and are unable to achieve the look that you wanted.

It may take 10,000 well thought out photographs to realise the limitations of your current camera.
And at that time, you will know exactly what's missing and will upgrade your gear with confidence.

I'd say: share this camera with your wife if you can. Invest in a new lens instead. Since your wife likes portraits, get a decent portrait lens because the kit lens 18-55 is not ideal for that kind of work.
Learn together.

arthurking83
28-03-2015, 9:05pm
D5200's are cheap, and do a good job of getting you images.

As the price of these cameras is quite low, you could get a lens or two to help both yourself and your wife achieve the types of photos you're both respectively interested in.

Lenses of note are something like a Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Sigma 17-50/2.8 for portraiture and a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 for landscapes(and general wide shots of stuff).

A D5200 plus two of those lenses would set you back about $1000 ... maybe just a wee little bit over.