PDA

View Full Version : A7 II lost Date and Time

antony
14-03-2015, 11:41pm
I haven't experienced this with other Sony cameras (unless I took the battery out to store the camera back to the box). However, with Sony A7 Mark II, it happens a few times that asking me to reset the Date and Time after I switch the camera on.

I always charge the battery with BC-QM1 (Sony Battery Charger, as it takes only 1hr 55min instead of 5hr 10 min via USB cable). Of course I don't always put the battery back to the camera straight away. I've been asked to reset the timezone, date and time a few times only on A7 II (not A7R).

Other settings seem to be fine without the need to reset.

Does anyone know what caused this? Or do I need to send the camera back to Sony for service?

Thanks.

bitsnpieces
15-03-2015, 2:12am
Compared with your other cameras, are you charging them the same way? Via external adapter and not USB? Or via USB?

Sony's method of resetting, just like many other electrical devices, is via taking out the battery. If the battery out for too long, it usually will ask you to set the date again. The duration it takes before it asks you though, I don't know.

But Sony's reset method is taking it out for 1 minute or so, and pushing a button (can't remember) as you put the battery back in. That activates the hard reset. If I remember correctly, that was the process (have to double check)
You mentioned that the other settings aren't affected, so I can't see it being a hard reset, but who knows. Maybe just haven't noticed yet.:confused013

And who knows, maybe you may be accidentally pumping one of the buttons every now and again when putting the battery back in. :confused013

But yes, it is pretty normal for it to ask for the date and time again, but again, I don't know long it is before it'll ask for a reset.

Warbler
15-03-2015, 7:31am
Does it have a back-up battery? Canon DSLR's have little back-up batteries that keep the time function accurate when other power sources are removed. Your Sony may also have one. They are those small flat button-type batteries and you should consult your manual to see where it is located..

arthurking83
15-03-2015, 8:32am
The backup batteries are usually capacitors that are set to slowly discharge(internal clock doesn't need much power) .. and as such aren't usually user replaceable .. and as they are capacitors generally unlikely to go wrong or dead or flat. Caps just leak or pop and stop working, so don't need to be user replaceable.

I would have thought that you could leave the battery out of the camera for at least a month or so before the internal time battery would completely run out of power.

How long since you had the battery in the camera.

I'm thinking that maybe Sony's thinking here is that because of their USB charging capability, they saw fit to use a small capacity battery or capacitor.
The thinking(which would make sense) is that because many users would recharge via USB cable the battery is unlikely to be removed for prolonged periods of time.

I'm sure Sony's philosophy for all it's products is similar which is to limit what the user can control, and what they can/can't replace.
(yeah!! I have Sony phone ... try replacing the battery on them! :p)

antony
15-03-2015, 10:18am
Thank you guys.

Compared with your other cameras, are you charging them the same way? Via external adapter and not USB? Or via USB?
All my Sony E-mount cameras (NEX-7, A7R, A7 II) were charged the same way: use Sony BC-QM1 instead of USB.
I also have one Sony AC Adaptor (AC-PW20) which I use often for studio shooting. I share it with A7R and A7 II. Like A7R, there are times that A7 II is not connected to AC-PW20 nor battery inserted, however the resetting of date/time does not happen in A7R.

Warbler
15-03-2015, 10:20am
The Sony A7/A7R has an internal rechargeable battery in it. There is a section in the User Manual which refers to the problem you mention.

https://docs.sony.com/release/ILCE-7_7R_guide_EN.pdf

arthurking83
15-03-2015, 10:31am
From that manual link Warbler posted:

The Clock Set screen appears when you turn on the product.
Set the date and time again.
The internal rechargeable backup battery has discharged. Insert a charged battery, and set aside for 24
hours or more with the power left off.

Warbler
15-03-2015, 2:20pm
Yes, sorry. I was in a hurry to get out the door. I should have said it was on page 448 of 455. I didn't find an on-line PDF for the A7II, but I'm sure you have the manual at home anyway. Look under Troubleshooting, Other.

bitsnpieces
15-03-2015, 7:31pm
So as what Warbler and Arthur was saying, possibly the internal capacitor has run out of juice and just needs a little charge (that's probably why mine would pop up the date screen - I've left my batteries out for quite the time because I was away for months and wasn't using my camera).

So yes, leaving the battery out too long will reset, and yes, it should be a long time before required. So if you're having to reset it once in a while like I am, are you also leaving the battery out for that camera for long periods of time like I am?

If not, there possibly could be a deeper issue going on.

Arthur mentioned that the backup batteries are usually capacitors, if so, this could be an interesting read:
http://silentadmin.gsans.com/my-toolbox/electronics/why-do-electrolytic-capacitors-fail/
I don't know if it relates or not, but it's a possibility.

I guess, maybe try what the manual says and stick the battery in and let it charge up the capacitor for a day, then see how it goes.

Anyways, good luck :)

antony
16-03-2015, 1:23am
Thank you Warbler, Arthur and David, I will put a NP-FW50 for at least 1 day.
( The trouble shooting for A7 II is at http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1450/v1/en/contents/TP0000226797.html )