PDA

View Full Version : Canon 100-400 Mk II test drive at Roma St Parklands

nardes
12-03-2015, 10:08am
Canon 100-400 Mk II test drive at Roma St Parklands

I was very pleased with the performance of the 100-400 Mk II – it is an excellent optic.

The “eye of the dragon” was taken lying prone, approx. 1 ½ metres from the Eastern Water Dragon and shows remarkable image quality and resolution.
The EWD in the water was captured hand held at 1/80 sec, F5.6, ISO400 at the 400mm end of the fl range – very useful IS capability as I am not the best hand holder.
The Currawong was captured in the shade at 1/125 sec and although is not critically sharp, I was pleased with the results from the IS given this was a hurried shot.

Some of my low-ish shutter speed dragon flies were soft due to movement of their perches (reeds) swaying in the breeze, something which IS cannot really address.

All in all, an outstanding lens with excellent image quality, a very useful range of focal lengths, amazing close focus ability and very capable IS.

Cheers

Dennis

ameerat42
12-03-2015, 10:56am
Sure is, Dennis!

Is the 1st a heavy crop? What maximum reproduction does that lens give?
Am.

Lance B
12-03-2015, 11:10am
You've got to be happy with those! :th3:

nardes
12-03-2015, 12:09pm
Sure is, Dennis!

Is the 1st a heavy crop? What maximum reproduction does that lens give?
Am.

Hi Am

Here is the full frame so you can visualise the cropped region of the eye. I think the “macro ratio” is 1:0.3.

Cheers

Dennis

- - - Updated - - -

You've got to be happy with those! :th3:

Hi Lance

Thanks, I appreciate your comments.:)

For Canon users, I suspect that this lens can effectively replace the Canon 300mm F4L and 400mm F5.6L, and one might even include the canon 70-200 F4L, so now I can carry one lens and not three!

Cheers

Dennis

davsv1
12-03-2015, 12:27pm
very nice Dennis, you'd have to be happy with that clarity, let alone the need to only carry one lens instead of 3

Filter
12-03-2015, 1:07pm
Nice shots Denis, dang the shadow on the lizards nose in #4. What body have you got the lens on?

nardes
12-03-2015, 4:05pm
Nice shots Denis, dang the shadow on the lizards nose in #4. What body have you got the lens on?

The body was a 5D Mk III and the AF is very impressive with that combo.

Cheers

Dennis

I @ M
12-03-2015, 5:03pm
Looks like they took an excellent lens and made it better, mind you, I reckon your ability might have quite a bit to do with the end result Dennis. :th3:

nardes
12-03-2015, 5:40pm
Looks like they took an excellent lens and made it better, mind you, I reckon your ability might have quite a bit to do with the end result Dennis. :th3:

Hah – thanks Andrew, I appreciate your nice words, but I’m afraid I am just the dumb operator!

All these images have been processed with the Topaz Labs Plug Ins (Adjust, Detail & Noise) to display the range of data to make it “look the best” (based on my personal taste) on my screen.:)

The original Raw files are relatively muted (as no in-camera processing is applied), although I might run a couple through DPP (the Canon app) and see how the straightforward jpg outputs compare, as I could save myself a lot of processing!

Cheers

Dennis

kleinpark
21-05-2015, 9:35pm
Looks like this lens is definitely one to add to my wish list !!!

Amazing captures !!! :D

Thor
22-02-2016, 12:13am
All in all, an outstanding lens with excellent image quality, a very useful range of focal lengths, amazing close focus ability and very capable IS.

Nice Lens with great wildlife capturing capabilities as you have shown.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

P.S #2 ftw, nice composition.