PDA

View Full Version : A good macro lens for a beginner?

Bonsai Jason
26-02-2015, 5:51pm
Hey all,

Newbie here, been doing photography for about 6months now and am slowly starting to work out my area's of focus... no pun intended lol One of the is Macro photography.

Now, I've been doing a bit of looking into the various macro lenses, and am just overwhelmed with the different varieties, and all of the different reviews I'm finding on them. One site will tell me a lens is great, then the next will contradict it.

So I'm just wondering what a suitable macro lens for beginner would be? I'm running a Nikon D5200 :)

I've been looking at the Sigma lenses, specically the 70-300mm Macro Telephoto lens and was thinking that it would be the best option for me. Mainly because of the price, as I can't really afford much over the $200 mark :( It seemed ok, but i've read some bad reviews on it, so thought I might ask you guys for some advice :) Is that a good lens? and is there a better one around the same price range?

Thank in advance :)

Jason

I @ M
26-02-2015, 6:18pm
Jason, you will generally find that true macro lenses are defined as ones that have a reproduction ratio of 1:1 and typically with a very short minimum focus distance.

By comparison to a Sigma 150mm macro lens, the 150mm offers a 1:1 ratio and a minimum focus distance of 38cm and the 70-300 gives you 1:4 ratio and a min focus of 95cm.

You can do some very good close up work with the 70-300 but if you want better macro ability then a dedicated lens will ultimately give you better results.

There really is no such thing as a free lunch with lenses as a rule but for more economical alternatives have a look around at pricing for Tamron 90mm macros and you might find some secondhand units that are selling cheaply. Be aware that the early versions of that lens will not autofocus with your current camera but that may not be a drawback as many many macro photographers use manual focus anyway.

ricktas
26-02-2015, 7:04pm
Agree with Andrew.

There is no such thing as a 'cheap' macro lens. What you seek is a good macro lens, that should last a lifetime. Andrew has explained how a true macro lens is 1:1, and I have the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro he mentions and not only is is a brilliant macro lens, but also a great portrait lens as well. The Tamron 90mm macro won awards as the best macro lens every year for quite a few years and only recently, it has been surpassed by other macro lens offerings. The Nikon 105mm f2.8 is a fine example, but compared the sigma and tamron, you will pay more for one.

Bonsai Jason
26-02-2015, 7:05pm
Thankyou kindly for the reply :)

I wasn't expecting a free lunch, but just a cheap one that doesn't taste too bad ;) haha

That was why I wanted to ask, the Sigma looked good, but from what I'd read elsewhere, a dedicated macro was the best option. I just wasn't sure if the sigma fell into that catergory being that its a telephoto lens AND macro... it just confused me a bit, especially as I'd read reveiws that it was a great macro lens... but then i'd also read that it wasn't so much

Thankyou for the advise though, I will definately have a look into the Tamron alternatives. So realisticly I'm probably looking at between $300 and $400 for a decent macro lens then?

Again, thankyou... i've been tossing this question up for a couple of months now and am just really struggling to decide one way or the other

Edit: thanks Ricktas, I had thought that the 1:2 would have been better, being that it was a larger 'zoom'... obviously showing my inexperience here. So i appreciate your advice a lot :)

ameerat42
26-02-2015, 7:30pm
Jason. Just a point on nomenclature...

The ratios 1:1, 1:4, x:y, etc refer to "image size - to - subject size".

That is the same as saying "subject size - to - reciprocal of image size".

Sigma give a "maximum magnification" size for their lenses.

That 70-300 you're talking about (which I have, BTW), listed here, (http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/70-300mm-f4-56-dg-macro)
shows it to be 1:4. Ie, a full size subject will be 1/4 size on the sensor.

Confusing? It can be.

So, where the leading figure is larger, such as 2:1, that means the reproduction size at the sensor is
TWICE life size of the subject.

OK, just by-the-by. You can now cease to be confused.

- No, wait! Don't get confused by the "crop factor" of a camera sensor. People somethings think that on a, say,
APSC camera with a 1.5 crop factor, they will get a 1.5:1 magnification using just a 1:1 macro lens. This is not correct,
as the ratio, x:y always talks about image and subject sizes - nothing else. (Ie, NOT about "angle of view".)

Now you can take a Bex and have a good lie down. :D
Am.

Bonsai Jason
27-02-2015, 1:09pm
Jason. Just a point on nomenclature...

The ratios 1:1, 1:4, x:y, etc refer to "image size - to - subject size".

That is the same as saying "subject size - to - reciprocal of image size".

Sigma give a "maximum magnification" size for their lenses.

That 70-300 you're talking about (which I have, BTW), listed here, (http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/70-300mm-f4-56-dg-macro)
shows it to be 1:4. Ie, a full size subject will be 1/4 size on the sensor.

Confusing? It can be.

So, where the leading figure is larger, such as 2:1, that means the reproduction size at the sensor is
TWICE life size of the subject.

OK, just by-the-by. You can now cease to be confused.

- No, wait! Don't get confused by the "crop factor" of a camera sensor. People somethings think that on a, say,
APSC camera with a 1.5 crop factor, they will get a 1.5:1 magnification using just a 1:1 macro lens. This is not correct,
as the ratio, x:y always talks about image and subject sizes - nothing else. (Ie, NOT about "angle of view".)

Now you can take a Bex and have a good lie down. :D
Am.

Wow! It really is confusing!

So, with the ratio (that i was looking at backwards lol),1:2, it means that the image that comes out will be half the size of the subject? So if I was to take the same shot with a ratio of 1:1, the image would be life size?

I'm trying to work this out in my head, but its just not clicking :(

And again, thankyou all for taking the time to explain this!! Really cannot say how much I appreciate it :)

ameerat42
27-02-2015, 1:27pm
So Jason. From what I saw of your bonsai photos, that can easily be achieved through simple close-up techniques.

Are you after a macro lens to get right up close?

Am.

nardes
27-02-2015, 1:55pm
Wow! It really is confusing!

So, with the ratio (that i was looking at backwards lol),1:2, it means that the image that comes out will be half the size of the subject? So if I was to take the same shot with a ratio of 1:1, the image would be life size?

I'm trying to work this out in my head, but its just not clicking :(

And again, thankyou all for taking the time to explain this!! Really cannot say how much I appreciate it :)

Yes – 1:1 means life size. That is;

At 1:1 a 5mm long insect will be recorded as a 5mm long “image” on your sensor.
At 2:1, a 5mm long insect will be recorded as a 10mm long “image” on your sensor.

This is provided that you are at the minimum or closest focusing distance of the macro lens.:)

Cheers

Dennis

Bonsai Jason
27-02-2015, 2:09pm
So Jason. From what I saw of your bonsai photos, that can easily be achieved through simple close-up techniques.

Are you after a macro lens to get right up close?

Am.

I'm more after a macro lens for some more creative shots, not so much for pictures of bonsai :)

I use either my kit lens, or my prime mainly for bonsai shows :) The macro is for shots of leaves, or flowers, etc

Like my photos below (forgive the newbiness of them lol):

Moss
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10640982_10152549532653348_7009548954162419552_n.jpg?oh=98d749c07aaf4c9cce147e820dc9cdba&oe=5595927F

Tiny flowers
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10424975_10152549532438348_2084658508509069516_n.jpg?oh=a82764922f7b156964dc8d99bb717d93&oe=554FDCF1&__gda__=1431181732_727c50482c068ac64c96fc1b91f1e7e8

Tannin
27-02-2015, 2:17pm
You need to get several things right to make a macro lens. Just writing "macro" on the outside of the box isn't one of them, alas.

As Ian pointed out, a macro lens has good magnification (1:1 is usually regarded as the line in the sand for this).

A proper macro lens also needs to be decently fast - typically f/2.8 or at least f/3.5. But you mostly stop well down (f/11 or so) when shooting macro, so why does this matter? Three reasons, all to do with focus: slow lenses (f/5.6 zooms and the like) don't give the autofocus system the right sort of "bite" to get an exact focus, and in macro work, a couple of millimetres out is all it takes to ruin a shot. Secondly, you need a bright, sharp image in your viewfinder to focus or check focus manually - as you get very close, there is less and less light, so a scene that looks fine at 50m is too dark to see properly at 50mm. This applies to all cameras but is especially so with crop bodies. Thirdly, you need a really shallow depth of field while you are framing the shot so that you can tell where the focus plane is, and for this you need a fast lens. Yes, the camera will stop down to (say) f/11 before it fires the shutter, but you want it as wide open as possible up until then. (This is actually the same reason, more or less, as the first reason, but applied to your eye rather than the electronic eye of the AF system. The underlying physics is the key.)

A proper macro lens generally has a long, slow focus mechanism designed for very fine close-up adjustments rather than the faster, shorter mechanism you would design for a general-purpose lens. It's not essential, but it helps.

Finally, a real macro lens is optimised for close-up work. That is its comfort zone. Among other things, it will have a flat plane of focus at short distances. (General purpose lenses tend to have a curved "plane" of focus, which doesn't usually matter at, say, 10 metres from the subject.)

In short, if you possibly can, get a proper macro lens, not a general purpose lens with "macro" written on the box. They are not expensive (though they are not dirt cheap either) and I'm not aware of any outright bad ones on the market today. You'd almost certainly be happy with any of them. I'm a bit out of touch with the newer models so I'll leave it to others to make specific recommendations.

Oh, and any decent macro lens also doubles as a more-than-handy portrait lens. I used to love using my 60mm Canon macro for landscapes and portraits on crop, and now that I've gone full frame, I use a 100mm one with equally pleasing results. Most people stat out with something in the 100mm category - 90mm, 105mm, something like that. I found the 60 was a little bit short for close-up work, though that's a matter of taste.

Bonsai Jason
27-02-2015, 2:54pm
Wow Tony, thankyou so much for that explanation, that helps more then I can say :)

I think in looking a macro lens, i got caught up in the sales pitch on the general purpose lens. I'm going to save my dollars I think, and get one that will give me the results I want

There really is so much more to a lens then I orignally thought! I'm probably finding that the hardest part in learning photography, just when I think i'm getting it, i find out that I was way off the mark haha

Can't say how glad i am to have found this forum!!

ameerat42
27-02-2015, 4:05pm
I wouldn't say you're off the mark. Rather, when you "get" something, you realise there's something else that opens up
for consideration. Eventually little loops (of understanding) start closing. Don't worry if later you may have to open a couple
up again to interlock them with other ideas...

and so on...

Am.

arthurking83
01-03-2015, 11:26am
Normally my comments would pretty much parallel Andrew's (I@M) on this topic.
Tamron 90mm is a very good starting point for the low price.

BUT!!! in this instance, I'd say forget that. Too pricey(for you) .. considering your less than $200 budget.

Sigma 70-300 can provide some nice results at certain settings, but for macro .. again forget it! It's not going to give you decent results in the long run.

I think a better alternative for you ATM would be an old Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 lens.
The reason is simple .. very high quality lens, and cheap.
Seeing that you have a D5200, you're in the ideal situation where you can use non Ai lenses(which most of these lenses will be) without issues.

These lenses can go from anywhere between $50 - about $200 for a brand new condition version .. but in general about $70-80ish in good nik!

Only drawback with these lenses is that they are full manual only, meaning not only manual focus, but manual exposure too, so you need to guesstimate exposure to get images come out right.

I want one of these lenses one day, and if my name was Lucky(as opposed to AK83), I reckon I'd have 523 of these lenses by now. I've put so many bids on these lenses on ebay over the past few years, but keep getting beat by a dollar or two every time. This is only because I refuse to pay more than they are worth, so won't get into a bidding war over them. They're common as muck.

An alternate source of these lenses is KEH, and you can get good copies of these lenses for about $70-ish.

This is where my issue with the ebay prices comes from. I can get one from KEH for $70, but many ebayers of course want more for them .. and in some instances much more for the same thing!
Problem with KEH is their shipping prices .. from memory about $65 or so. So you can get a good lens for $62, and the shipping doubles this!
So, I've come to a dilemma, in that I constantly place bids on them on ebay, only to get beat by a dollar.
In the end I'll just succumb and get one from KEH I reckon. (no rush).

If all that is too much, then do like I@M said .. Tammy 90mm f/2.8. If you ever update to a D7100 type camera body, you'll then have AF too :th3:

I reckon you should be able to find one S/H for about $150 or so .. maybe less.

Diverdan
03-03-2015, 12:01am
Hi Jase,

Just my 2c worth, my wife is a macro lover and she has the Tamron 90mm for her 5100. For under $500 brand new, I think it is great value and you should get great results. You will love it.

Dan

Bonsai Jason
04-03-2015, 12:55pm
Only drawback with these lenses is that they are full manual only, meaning not only manual focus, but manual exposure too, so you need to guesstimate exposure to get images come out right.

I want one of these lenses one day, and if my name was Lucky(as opposed to AK83), I reckon I'd have 523 of these lenses by now. I've put so many bids on these lenses on ebay over the past few years, but keep getting beat by a dollar or two every time. This is only because I refuse to pay more than they are worth, so won't get into a bidding war over them. They're common as muck.

Thankyou for that! You may just have someone else bidding against you now :P

I do like the sound of it, however the manual mode, especially manual exposure, makes me hesitate. But then if I could get one for under $100 it'd be hard to pass it up.

Thanks a heap again guys, the advice around here is amazing!

ameerat42
04-03-2015, 1:00pm
...however the manual mode, especially manual exposure, makes me hesitate...

That delirious state should last fully five seconds, after which you will need a sedative to calm down your glad-that-you-got-it-ness.
:D

Bonsai Jason
04-03-2015, 5:51pm
That delirious state should last fully five seconds, after which you will need a sedative to calm down your glad-that-you-got-it-ness.
:D

HAHA to be honest, at that price I don't think I could really go wrong!

And if I could pick it up for a decent price, then I'd be able to get my wide angle that much quicker, which is next on the list... or equal on the list really :) Am still tossing up between the too, everyday i seem to change my mind between getting a macro or going wide :( lol If i could simply win lotto, this would be so much easier! haha

MissionMan
04-03-2015, 6:54pm
I agree with the Tamron recommendation. I was looker for a cheaper Macro and I have the Tamron 90mm. It's a very good lens and well beyond my capability along with being suitable for full frame. The reviews of the lens are also very good.

It works surprisingly well for portraits although focus is a little on the slow side for any movement.

Macro isn't my focus area (so excuse the settings of the camera because the DOF is a little shallow in some which is largely me and not the lens) but this should give you an idea of what it is capable of:

http://atholhill.smugmug.com/Macro/Butterflies/i-4mb36kL/0/X3/DSC_2928-X3.jpg

http://atholhill.smugmug.com/Family/Fairy-Park/i-hhJcdFH/0/X3/DSC_2274-X3.jpghttp://atholhill.smugmug.com/Widllife-Insects/Botanical-Gardens-Sydney/i-wk5XbjT/0/X3/DSC_1883-X3.jpg

http://atholhill.smugmug.com/Abstract/Slinky-Spring/i-RWfVk6k/0/X3/DSC_1816-X3.jpg

This is just a normal photo where I was too lazy to change lenses.

http://atholhill.smugmug.com/Family/Fairy-Park/i-5DV8Ssb/0/X3/DSC_2206-X3.jpg

Bonsai Jason
04-03-2015, 7:22pm
Very nice! Particularly like the first one! They really make me itch to get one now

So if I was to upgrade to a full frame camera, this would still be a decent lens? More out of curiosity then anything, the full frame is still a LONG way off in reality :)

ameerat42
04-03-2015, 7:30pm
"Decency" aside, it would suit the camera, as it's a "full-frame" lens.

MissionMan
04-03-2015, 7:50pm
Very nice! Particularly like the first one! They really make me itch to get one now

So if I was to upgrade to a full frame camera, this would still be a decent lens? More out of curiosity then anything, the full frame is still a LONG way off in reality :)

Those photos are on a full frame camera. Some on the D700 and some on the new D750. :)

mongo
05-03-2015, 7:30pm
Simple answer - a very good used Tamron AF 90mm f2.5 or even f2.8.

Mongo bought his in virtually new/unused condition in original buttoned pouch for $90.

Mongo has about 4 other nikon macro lenses and the Tamron is equal to or better than the Nikons. Also doubles as a brilliant portrait and general lens. Also, a good used manual nikon 55mm f2.8 or f3.5 macro would also be a good alternative but poor value compared to the auto focus Tamron for less money

Bonsai Jason
05-03-2015, 8:00pm
Thankyou Mongo, I think that will be the one to go for. That way I can use it with my future cameras as well if I do upgrade

I'm assuming KEH is the place to go for used lens's?

ameerat42
05-03-2015, 8:10pm
Hey, I'm wondering how you're sating your appetite for Macro (a sort of pasta?) while you're looking for a lens.

Have you heard about strapping a reversed lens on the front of another?

The only thing you've got to watch out for is the pronounced vignetting caused by "looking though" a small aperture
on the reversed lens. Generally, you use an ~100mm or more lens on your camera, and a reversed shorter lens taped
(or otherwise attached) on the front of that.

What happens?

You can come in very close to your subject - about the distance that your sensor is "behind" the front lens - and the image is
projected down the length of your longer lens to the sensor. Some serious reproduction sizes can be achieved.

A hint: keep the reversed lens aperture wide open.

Possible drawbacks: vignetting, as mentioned, and interfering optics of the lenses (though rare if lenses are of reasonable Q).

---Just a thought!

arthurking83
06-03-2015, 6:54am
lens reversal and extension tubes are handy to have, but so far that I've seen, for both ease of use and better quality the use of a true macro lens is usually provides for better overall quality and experience.

This doesn't mean to say that neither of these options don't work .. they obviously do.

KEH is good for product and decent prices .. but like I said earlier .. a bit over the top for shipping.

there's probably a reason for that tho .. maybe their packaging policy is very high quality or something?

judybee
06-03-2015, 9:02am
Hi,
I've got the Tamron 90mm and am very happy with this lens. I also use it as a portrait lens. I would recommend this. I bought mine second hand.

mongo
06-03-2015, 10:56am
Thankyou Mongo, I think that will be the one to go for. That way I can use it with my future cameras as well if I do upgrade

I'm assuming KEH is the place to go for used lens's?

KEH is as good as any but watch for heavy postage cost lest they blow the price of the lens out of proportion to finding one locally. Really, any reliable source you find should do.

Also, there is no concern whatsoever using it on a crop sensor camera. You will be effectively shooting at about 135mm but that is still ideal for macro and portraiture. If and when you may update to a full frame, again, you will be shooting at 90mm but this again, still ideal for macro and portraits - you cannot go wrong.

reversing lenses etc as suggested by others is a good emergency thing for macro but not a long term solution nor will it give you portrait capability. If you can find one to the Tamrons Mongo has suggested at up to $150, it will be a very wise and cost effective purchase. good luck and let us know what you do in due course.

Nick Cliff
06-03-2015, 11:01am
Another macro lens for consideration are the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 lenses.

Bonsai Jason
06-03-2015, 12:38pm
Thanks again guys, can't say how much I appreciate it :) I was looking at the extension tubes, but thought if I was going to do it then I may as well go the full way and get a proper lens :) the reversing lens sounds interesting though... although I think i'd be too paranoid about getting the lens dusty or dirty in spots i'm too scared to try and clean :P

@Am, I'm just using the kit lens at the moment for my macro's (18-55), and just getting extremely close to the subject... then further zooming and cropping once I put them through lightroom :o have been happy with the results so far, but am starting to realise they could be much better haha

CathyC
11-06-2015, 5:42pm
There really is no such thing as a free lunch with lenses as a rule but for more economical alternatives have a look around at pricing for Tamron 90mm macros and you might find some secondhand units that are selling cheaply. Be aware that the early versions of that lens will not autofocus with your current camera but that may not be a drawback as many many macro photographers use manual focus anyway.

LOL I wish I had read this during the week :) I have the opportunity to purchase a Tamron 90mm macro lens from a photography friend, and I have spent the day today trying it out ..... and being most frustrated I couldn't get the Autofocus to work ..... I figured I was doing something wrong :confused013 but then a quick search on the internet and I find out that the Tamron will not AF with the Nikon D3100 or D5100. I did get to try it out with hubby's D70 and the autofocus worked beautifully ;) and I did get some OK shots using the manual focus, but the depth of field is a bit too shallow for my liking; I am sure I can play some more and get some photos I am happy with.

My dilemma now is do I go ahead with this purchase, or do I keep on the hunt for the same lens but in the AF-S version?
I think I will have another play tomorrow.
cheers
CathyC

I @ M
12-06-2015, 6:25am
and I did get some OK shots using the manual focus, but the depth of field is a bit too shallow for my liking; I am sure I can play some more and get some photos I am happy with.

My dilemma now is do I go ahead with this purchase, or do I keep on the hunt for the same lens but in the AF-S version?

The depth of field is related to the distance of the camera from the subject and the aperture used. For most close up / macro photography a "starting" aperture would be F/8 and then smaller F/11, F/16 etc. Many of the photos that you may have seen and that have inspired you possibly have been done by taking multiple images at differing focus points on the subject and then combined in software to give a greater depth of field.

Choosing between the 2 types of lens to either have AF or not is fairly easy to me, I would hunt for a later version that will focus with your current body as you can always turn AF off when you desire but you can't turn it on in the earlier version. As well as being a good macro lens, the Tamron is also a very good portrait lens on either an APSC or 35mm camera and autofocus can be very handy to have in those situations.

Happy playing and thinking ----- :)

Mark L
14-06-2015, 9:34pm

Think a little here.
Get the hubby to upgrade his camera so his current camera that the AF works on becomes yours.:th3:

arthurking83
14-06-2015, 11:14pm
Even better .. why waste money on a new lens that won't give you much of a benefit .. and use that money instead on a better camera!
A D7200 ... or even better! ... a much cheaper(now) D7100 that will not only AF when you need it .. but also produce much better images than the D70 is ever likely too.
Another camera option to consider in this price range could be the venerable D700! :th3:
Second hand these tough old beasts are more than capable, and allow you a few more framing flexibility options .. at more than a reasonable price.
Other cameras that will AF with this lens are:
D80, D90, D7000, D300/D300s, D600, D610 and higher.

CathyC
21-06-2015, 4:15pm
Choosing between the 2 types of lens to either have AF or not is fairly easy to me, I would hunt for a later version that will focus with your current body as you can always turn AF off when you desire but you can't turn it on in the earlier version. As well as being a good macro lens, the Tamron is also a very good portrait lens on either an APSC or 35mm camera and autofocus can be very handy to have in those situations.

Happy playing and thinking ----- :)

thanks for the input :) I returned the lens to my friend (luckily he had someone else interested in it) and will keep a lookout for another opportunity to buy a macro lens that will autofocus with my cameras :)

- - - Updated - - -

Think a little here.
Get the hubby to upgrade his camera so his current camera that the AF works on becomes yours.:th3:
LOL I like your thinking, but I think I will stick with what I have got for the time being.

- - - Updated - - -

Even better .. why waste money on a new lens that won't give you much of a benefit .. and use that money instead on a better camera!
A D7200 ... or even better! ... a much cheaper(now) D7100 that will not only AF when you need it .. but also produce much better images than the D70 is ever likely too.
Another camera option to consider in this price range could be the venerable D700! :th3:
Second hand these tough old beasts are more than capable, and allow you a few more framing flexibility options .. at more than a reasonable price.
Other cameras that will AF with this lens are:
D80, D90, D7000, D300/D300s, D600, D610 and higher.
LOL I wish! I cannot justify a new camera just yet - I only got the D5100 recently ........... but I like your thinking :lol:

I @ M
21-06-2015, 6:25pm
I returned the lens to my friend (luckily he had someone else interested in it) and will keep a lookout for another opportunity to buy a macro lens that will autofocus with my cameras :)

And isn't that the correct thing to do !!

I am glad that you did that because I have just had a look through your blog that is listed in your signature. Must be a recent addition as it wasn't there in your earlier posts and it throws a new light on things.

Forget my earlier post about a Tamron 90mm, having seen a few photos on your blog my feelings are that you would be better served by a Sigma 150mm macro, either with image stabilisation or without ( 2 different models ) as they will allow more working room when spiders are subjects.

As well as offering great macro detail at longer camera to subject distances, it will work perfectly for food and handicraft images, I think that you deserve that lens as it really has got a lot going for it with your images and at a pinch could be fitted to your husbands camera on the rare occasions that you aren't using it. :D

Just go and buy one !!! :)