PDA

View Full Version : Sydney meet - any ideas?

NikonNellie
23-02-2015, 5:50pm
It has been over a year since our last meet, so I am calling upon all you Sydney-siders to come up with some ideas and dates for a meet. Not sure if the old crowd is still around but I would love to see you all and any new members who would like to join us.

Please post your ideas here with the aim to actually attend the meet within a month. If any new members or beginner members would really like to learn more about a particular style/technique of photography we can try and organize the meet around it. Soooo...don't be bashful, place your idea in a post in this thread.

Let's see what we can come up with! :D

paulheath
23-02-2015, 7:17pm
sunrise , beaches? gotta love a good early morning shoot.

Mark L
23-02-2015, 10:50pm
Sunrise, sunset, landscape, birds of Mudgee.:lol:
Maybe you all need a weekend out of Sydney.;)

antony
25-02-2015, 10:39pm
I know I am still new here, I'd like to meet up, if location and time are allowed.

NikonNellie
25-02-2015, 11:24pm
Great Antony - I will wait to see if we get any more responses before I organise a meet up. Do you have anything in particular you would like to shoot? :tog:

antony
25-02-2015, 11:39pm
Not really, I am easy. Just somewhere easy parking will do.

red2thebones
26-02-2015, 3:34pm
I have a Pixelstick (http://www.thepixelstick.com/) that's been sitting in my basement unopenned for the last 8 months since it arrived from Kickstarter.
Would love to take it to a Sydney meet up and maybe try and lightpain the AP logo :)

antony
27-02-2015, 2:21pm
I have a Pixelstick (http://www.thepixelstick.com/) that's been sitting in my basement unopenned for the last 8 months since it arrived from Kickstarter.

Looks awesome! Might order one myself.

ktoopi
27-02-2015, 5:26pm
I'm up for a meet :) no ideas yet but I'm always up for a bit of light painting:D I'm away from the 6th to the 15th though:eek:

NikonNellie
27-02-2015, 7:38pm
I would be up for some light painting as well. We could test out red2thebones's pixelstick and I could bring some EL wire and a few other things. I am not available on the 15th either so maybe the 22nd. Any suggestions for a venue?

Lance B
28-02-2015, 2:22pm
If you did it in autumn, it might be good to go to Mt Wilson or Mt Tomah or both. Just a thought.

red2thebones
28-02-2015, 5:05pm
I'd say somewhere open, with distant lights in the background, like North or South Head, looking back towards the CBD. There's also a slight chance for some sunset shots.... Was going to suggest somewhere near the big hanger, but I guess it's been done more than a couple of times?

antony
11-03-2015, 7:31pm
I think 14th/15th March is a bit too close, is 21st/22nd March still on the drawing board?

NikonNellie
14-03-2015, 9:20am
Something has come up for me on the 21st/22nd weekend now so I won't be able to make it. Let's aim for the 29th. North/South Head are also a bit far for me driving wise. Middle Head would be better for me. Any other suggestions?

sunset
14-03-2015, 9:18pm
Hello - remember me? :D Probably not available on 29th at the moment due a few other commitments during the day. Will keep you posted though.

ktoopi
15-03-2015, 5:54pm
I'm not available the 28th and 29th as daughter has state titles in opti racing so we will be away!

Just got back from hiking Maria island in Tasmania today Oh and just realised not available next weekend either as best friend from WA is staying the weekend so maybe don't worry about me unless we decide next month is better!! :D

NikonNellie
15-03-2015, 6:57pm
I'm happy to leave it until the school holidays. Life is so busy these days.....and I don't have any kids at home! :confused013

Mr Felix
18-03-2015, 6:51pm
The vivid light festival is coming up again soon.

antony
22-03-2015, 7:15pm
22 May to 6 June 2015. Won't be long.

kevin301
23-03-2015, 3:04pm
I'm flying in to Sydney from May 22-26 specifically for Vivid 2015 :)

Just wondering if there are any plans for organized activity during that period. Would make my best effort to join in :)

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3881/14621723681_0492c03548_n.jpg

antony
23-03-2015, 4:19pm
I'm flying in to Sydney from May 22-26 specifically for Vivid 2015 :)
wow! You are so dedicated.
I live in inner-west of Sydney, and I don't even visit Vivid Sydney every year. :)

kevin301
23-03-2015, 6:18pm
wow! You are so dedicated.
I live in inner-west of Sydney, and I don't even visit Vivid Sydney every year. :)

Perhaps 'crazy' might be the more appropriate adjective? ;)
16h (8h x 2) flight for 3-4days of shooting... hmmm does sound rather nuts.

ameerat42
23-03-2015, 6:55pm

Yes! But it's NOT if you really mean a trip to Sydney (or anywhere else) AND doing some photography.:D
Am(mad, they say:rolleyes:).

kevin301
23-03-2015, 7:39pm
Yes! But it's NOT if you really mean a trip to Sydney (or anywhere else) AND doing some photography.:D
Am(mad, they say:rolleyes:).

haha yup! Anything for photography! :)
Would really hope to meet some folks during my short trip, and share/learn some tips :)

antony
23-03-2015, 9:48pm

It's not that bad, compare to Vanessa Tan (http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fitness/vanessa-tan-flew-over-6000km-to-do-a-workout-with-kayla-itsines/story-fnlsv2b8-1227272594343) flew over 6000km for (just) 45 minutes workout.

Hope to see you in May.

kevin301
24-03-2015, 6:43pm
It's not that bad, compare to Vanessa Tan (http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fitness/vanessa-tan-flew-over-6000km-to-do-a-workout-with-kayla-itsines/story-fnlsv2b8-1227272594343) flew over 6000km for (just) 45 minutes workout.

Hope to see you in May.

Oh my... I'm just speechless!
Hahaha Ok she wins!
Yes hope there's something up in May.

NikonNellie
27-03-2015, 8:28am
I'm a bit over Vivid Sydney now - it has just become way too crowded. FYI - One of the best spots for getting photos of the Opera House is upstairs in the old OS Passenger Terminal.

If we organize a meet when you are here Kevin, is there anything in particular you would like to shoot (other than Vivid)?

kevin301
27-03-2015, 6:13pm
I'm a bit over Vivid Sydney now - it has just become way too crowded. FYI - One of the best spots for getting photos of the Opera House is upstairs in the old OS Passenger Terminal.

If we organize a meet when you are here Kevin, is there anything in particular you would like to shoot (other than Vivid)?

I totally get what you're saying about Vivid. But I'm just frustrated at having missed out on it for 2 years running (1st time I was a week early. 2nd time I was a week late). Determined to make amends.

I love seascapes or interesting architecture as well. Sunrise might be tough for me since it's unlikely I'll be renting a car. Will be staying at a mate's place in Maroubra Junction.

Maezyra
28-03-2015, 12:07am
I'm free for the middle two weeks in May, except for the 14th (10th wedding anniversary). We'd planned to go away during the period, but my husband is exploring new job opportunities (made redundant), so, with the hope that he will be in a new job at that time, it's crimped our plans significantly. Thus - I'm up for a shoot for once!! Hurrah!! I may even extend my leave by a week, so I can fit in Vivid as well...

kevin301
16-04-2015, 8:40pm
Maezrya, congrats on your coming 10th Anniversary! :)

Anyone planned anything for May? :) I'm definitely arriving on the 22nd.

Maezyra
16-04-2015, 10:34pm
Thank you very much!!

raccoon
19-04-2015, 9:14pm
oops I missed this thread.
Vivid seems to be too crowded for me now, thousands of people and little space to set up.

I like the light painting idea, what about Little Bay ( we did this previously) late Saturday afternoon for a meal, sunset type shoot and light painting after that????

NikonNellie
19-04-2015, 10:49pm
I am probably flying up to Maroochydore on the weekend of the 23rd May - just have to check some dates when I get back to work tomorrow. The light painting at Little Bay sounds like a good idea before it becomes too cold.

It would be great if we can host a great night for Kevin but the dates may be wrong for me. Paul maybe you could take him out on a sunrise shoot at Mahon's Pool seeing that he is staying at Maroubra? :D

kevin301
20-04-2015, 1:29pm
oops I missed this thread.
Vivid seems to be too crowded for me now, thousands of people and little space to set up.

I like the light painting idea, what about Little Bay ( we did this previously) late Saturday afternoon for a meal, sunset type shoot and light painting after that????

Vivid sounds scary! :D
But since I specifically coincided my trip to Sydney with Vivid, I guess the least I could do is try to be there for it. Saturday evening is likely to be the most crowded, so I could try to avoid that.
I like your idea of a sunset + light painting shoot :) Please count me in! I used to live in a homestay near Little Bay.

Mr Felix
20-04-2015, 7:29pm
If we are doing light painting, I hope to come.

I have got some things which may be good to use there.

ameerat42
20-04-2015, 7:51pm
Just had brainstorm: BRING AN UMBRELLA!!:eek::eek:

antony
20-04-2015, 11:06pm
But since I specifically coincided my trip to Sydney with Vivid, I guess the least I could do is try to be there for it.You should, since you planned for Vivid.
Assuming you can stay up late on 25th, then Monday night might be less people for Vivid.

kevin301
21-04-2015, 12:41pm
Just had brainstorm: BRING AN UMBRELLA!!:eek::eek:

brainSTORM, eh? ;)
My buddy told me that it's been raining heaps over there. Can't be worse than our tropical thunderstorms each year during the monsoon period... hehehe

- - - Updated - - -

You should, since you planned for Vivid.
Assuming you can stay up late on 25th, then Monday night might be less people for Vivid.

yes thanks for the tip. Monday night might be the best opportunity. Friday-Sunday will be recon work.

- - - Updated - - -

If we are doing light painting, I hope to come.

I have got some things which may be good to use there.

Not sure if steel wool photography is allowed. Might be a fire risk?

NikonNellie
21-04-2015, 2:52pm
I put in for some long service leave and I am pretty sure it will be approved, so I wont be available on the weekends of the 23rd and the 30th May. If you guys want to go ahead and organize a meet for please feel free to do so.

Kevin - Sorry that I will miss you. Maybe when I am next in Singapore we could meet up. :)

CanonMik
21-04-2015, 3:11pm
I live in eastern suburbs and I don't mind drive anywhere. I am up for any meets so I can learn as much as I can!!!:flowersnap:

I will be closely monitor this thread

ktoopi
21-04-2015, 3:40pm
I'm up for a meet......always love a bit of light painting:D

kevin301
22-04-2015, 1:46pm
I put in for some long service leave and I am pretty sure it will be approved, so I wont be available on the weekends of the 23rd and the 30th May. If you guys want to go ahead and organize a meet for please feel free to do so.

Kevin - Sorry that I will miss you. Maybe when I am next in Singapore we could meet up. :)

It's OK! :)
thanks so much for facilitating this discussion! :)
Yes please let me know when you're next in Singapore. Be happy to bring you around.

I might make another trip to Oz in July (mid-winter, I know...) for a road trip into Country NSW and maybe up along the coast to QLD before flying home from there.
Another opportunity for a meet-up and some shooting :)

antony
22-04-2015, 3:46pm
I've been thinking about visiting Singapore again for quite a while...

kevin301
05-05-2015, 7:49pm
any updates on the planned meet in late May? :D

NikonNellie
10-05-2015, 9:26am
I would say it's not happening Kevin. Nobody else seems to organize meets for Sydney and they always leave it up to me. As I was away when you are visiting Sydney, I was hoping someone else would step up to the mark. :o

kevin301
13-05-2015, 7:02pm
I would say it's not happening Kevin. Nobody else seems to organize meets for Sydney and they always leave it up to me. As I was away when you are visiting Sydney, I was hoping someone else would step up to the mark. :o

Haha thanks Nellie :)
I am all right. It was planned to be a relaxing trip for me, so I'm not going with high expectations, except (fingers and toes crossed) some kick-ass photos from Vivid 2015! ;)

I used to organize regular photography outings in Singapore too. Just got too busy after some time.

In any case, I shall try to keep Saturday 23 May late arvo till night available, in case anyone wants to arrange some sunset + light painting, as earlier brought up.
Convenient locations for me:
- Maroubra Beach
- I suppose anywhere between Maroubra Beach and La Perouse

antony
15-05-2015, 9:59pm
I should be free on that afternoon if you feel like to have coffee or something.

kevin301
19-05-2015, 7:23pm
I should be free on that afternoon if you feel like to have coffee or something.

Hi Antony.
Sounds all right to me! :)
Shall drop you a Private Message with my contact details, and we take it from there :)

red2thebones
22-05-2015, 12:35pm
Hi Kevin,

PM your contact please. I might be able to come out for a few hours in the evening on Sat. Hopefully the rain will have ceased by then.
Can't promise anything though, with a newborn baby, time management is pretty much out the windows :)

Cheers,

red

Canonball
29-05-2015, 5:09pm
Missed this post, will be out & about on Monday night trying to get some vivid photos. Kevin hope you managed to get some decent photos last wkend :flash:

kevin301
02-06-2015, 5:44pm
Hi Kevin,

PM your contact please. I might be able to come out for a few hours in the evening on Sat. Hopefully the rain will have ceased by then.
Can't promise anything though, with a newborn baby, time management is pretty much out the windows :)

Cheers,

red

Missed this post, will be out & about on Monday night trying to get some vivid photos. Kevin hope you managed to get some decent photos last wkend :flash:

Sorry I missed these posts!
In my defence, I was kept busy soaking in the sights and sounds of Sydney :)
Vivid turned out to be pretty crowded, though I come from Singapore so it's pretty normal to me.
The installations at Customs House and MCA were amazing! Resorted to capturing video, coz I thought still photos wouldn't do them justice.
Haven't gone through my images yet. Doubt I got anything amazing, but was just happy enough to have witnessed it finally!

Hope you guys managed to get some nice ones!

red2thebones
01-07-2015, 9:22am
No worries mate. Glad you were able to enjoy Vivid. I went for the first time this year too... managed to get a glimpse of the installations around The Rocks area and the Opera House.
Quite a "diverse" event, I thought, as there were many other attractions apart from the light installations. Can't say I've ever seen Sydney so crowded, even more than on NYE.
As for the photos... haven't even touched the camera since... hope there might be one or two decent shots, when I eventually get to them :)

kevin301
03-07-2015, 6:08pm
I'm in Sydney again over the weekend of July 17-19, and I've got wheels this time.
Would be game to fight the bitter cold on 1 of the mornings (18/19th) and shoot sunrise, if anyone's got a suggestion :)

ameerat42
03-07-2015, 7:27pm
Funny you should talk about "cold" weather. If you believe the populist local news, Sydneysiders could (implicitly) thumb their noses at Siberians and such!
Wow! Yesterday I saw our 1st frost of the year - restricted to a big roof across the road - and no frozen puddles, buckets, etc.

Now, Kevin. When you embark on your Central West trip, don't be surprised to get some frosts at about 8-9 PM at night. However, don't worry about having
suddenly been sent to a Siberian gulag.:eek::D

Also, I dunno about getting up too early and driving across Sydney on a weekday. And on a Saturday, woe betide anyone who sets off after about 8:30 AM to go
anywhere. Sundays are usually NTB until about mid-late afternoon. Then, if you're on a major road heading into Syd, well, be prepared to stay there for a bit:o

Can you give us an idea - suburb will do to protect privacy - where you will be staying? For anything else I suggest you use PMs.

Bon vogage!
Am.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add: OK outside some of these times.
:D

kevin301
07-07-2015, 3:19pm
I shall be staying in Zetland for the weekend of 18/19 July, and then embarking on my Central West NSW trip on Monday the 20th :)
I guess anywhere along the eastern suburbs area is good for me. Have shot at La Perouse (Bare Island) and Maroubra Beach prior.
Doesn't have to be seascape either. I'm game for architecture or something too! :)

* the news about the frost sounds scary! :eek:

farmmax
08-07-2015, 11:39pm
* the news about the frost sounds scary! :eek:

Time to be scared. We've had a couple of below -7°C in the last week, and when the cloud comes over before it melts, it is pretty bleak and miserable. Hopefully the weather forcast for this weekend will be well gone by the time you visit the central west. It is looking a bit ordinary :( Frosty nights are OK if followed by beautiful clear sunny winter days. Bring on summer!

ameerat42
09-07-2015, 8:57am
Well, you asked for it! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOV96BCAvZc) --Nat.:D

kevin301
10-07-2015, 1:03pm
Time to be scared. We've had a couple of below -7°C in the last week, and when the cloud comes over before it melts, it is pretty bleak and miserable. Hopefully the weather forcast for this weekend will be well gone by the time you visit the central west. It is looking a bit ordinary :( Frosty nights are OK if followed by beautiful clear sunny winter days. Bring on summer!

Sounds like I've picked the 'PERFECT' time to visit, eh? ;)

Any suggestions on what's good to photograph during 'antarctic' weather? ;)

ameerat42
10-07-2015, 1:42pm
Dunno how rich you may be, Kevin, but some people - MYSELF excluded :o- go on the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb.
You can read about it here (http://www.bridgeclimb.com/). Note that in that "brochure" they show you shots inside the
South Pylon Visitor Centre. Now I have been there a few times. It affords a somewhat lower view of the city, but still good. Also,
it costs way less. You could easily spend a few hours there. In fact, there, The Rocks, Walsh Bay, Dawes Point, the Quay and SOH
precincts..., there's most of a touristy day gone! - And if you're lucky you'll see "kangaroos hopping down Pitt St" - or under the influence!!

This is for Sydney, but I will post Central West stuff in your other thread (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?139764-NSW-Central-West-Trip)

Now, 1000 apologies to NN for hijacking this thread some:o, but some of the ideas might suit future meets:).
Am.

NikonNellie
11-07-2015, 9:05am
Now, 1000 apologies to NN for hijacking this thread some:o, but some of the ideas might suit future meets:).
Am.

Not a problem Am - its an old thread but ANYONE can organize a meet and start it in a new thread. :)