PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Jodes
22-02-2015, 10:55pm
Hi I'm new to this forum. I love taking photos & am hoping to start my own photography business this year. Just wondering if anyone could please give me some advice on what camera is the best to use. Also, I am keen to take a variety of photos. I would like to do sporting events, family shots, bump shots, nature shots and any other shots people would be interested in. What equipment would be recommended for such a variety of photos. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jodes
22-02-2015, 11:15pm
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what camera to use to start my own photography business. Any advice and/or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

feathers
23-02-2015, 12:32am
High Jodes. Welcome to the forum. All the best with your photography business venture.
Check out this site threads dealing with equipment, and the basics needed to start of with.
Would be good though, to show some of your work, as there are some very experienced photographers here that can help hone your skills.
And that might help also in camera and lens choice. Cheers:)

ricktas
23-02-2015, 6:40am
As you have chosen beginner as your photography experience, I would not even recommend you contemplate having a photography business for at least 2 years. You need to firstly be able to take superb photos and that will take at least 1-2 years to get to. You are asking which camera is best to use, and that alone shows you are not ready to delve into the world of professional photography. We could recommend a heap of brands/models/lenses/studio lights/tripods/ and more. With you getting a camera and learning how to use it, and all it's features, comes knowledge. So when you are ready to move to opening a business you will have had a couple of years of learning, understanding and you will know why one camera is better than another, or which lens to use, or where to put the lights to get the best lighting on your subject. All of this is ahead of you..before you consider starting a business.

Have a read of this: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?73305-Becoming-a-Professional-Photographer

There is no way someone can go from not even owning a camera to having a good photography business where they are producing professional quality results in under 12 months. In fact some people take several years to get to that point. Do you know how to change the white balance of a photo, or how to selectively sharpen the eyes of a subject?

So get your camera (how much do you want to spend? you could spend under $1000 or over $10,000 on gear easily), learn how to use it, do some small business courses, learn how to edit photos, and enjoy the experience of learning to be a photographer. Then when people other than family, friends or facebook likers say your photography is good enough, at that point consider starting your business. All the best with your dreams and goals, but a photography business is not just buy a camera, aim and shoot. I would start out by setting a long term goal of owning your business in 2-3 years. Then break it down into things you need to do in the meantime.

1. photography gear and learn good photography techniques
2. learn photoshop/lightroom and other photo editing software
3. computer equipment.
4. business tools (small business courses)
and more

set yourself some short term goals. Like say 3 months to learn photoshop inside-out and work towards that.

Good luck with your dreams and goals, but you will not have a long term successful photography business started in under 12 months, there is way to much to photography for you to be ready and capable of doing so in that time. So dive in, learn and plan your route to your business, and take the time needed to get it right, then you will have a thriving business once you do start it.

ricktas
23-02-2015, 6:41am
NOTE: I merged your two threads on the same subject into one thread.

bitsnpieces
24-02-2015, 3:26am
Hi Jodes, Rick is correct, but nonetheless, good on you for having the desire and passion.

Don't be afraid to get a basic camera to start with and then practice, get down and dirty with it, really know how photography works, and most importantly, participate in the forum - enter competitions, submit photos for feedback, give your own feedback of your perspective to other's photos, etc

This will help you prepare for your future photography business

Mark L
25-02-2015, 10:36pm
G'day Jody.Welcome to AP.
While your figuring what gear to get, enrol in a course about running a business. Some good photogs haven't got a clue about this, and some not so good photos make money.
Rick's covered the rest.
Slower is faster.