PDA

View Full Version : Managing workflow with multiple USB sticks

oneeyedphoto
21-02-2015, 8:12pm
So I've been asked once again to take photos for an animal rescue group I volunteer for.

The Paws Walk is a fundraiser to help raise $$ to contribute to the costs of rehousing unwanted pets. In the past I have taken photos onto my SD cards, edited images in Lightroom and the prints get done by the rescue group during the following week, which they receive $10 from pet owners who purchase them.
This time around they want to purchase blank USB sticks that they want to sell to the public with their images on them on the day - almost straight after I've taken them!

Logistically, I thought I'd ask fellow members here how they might manage a large scale workflow like this? (there's around 500-600 people that attend the PAWS day held over a couple of hours) but not everyone will buy one of course.

There is no booking times and I'm concerned how long people may have to wait for this technical process to occur.

Any suggestions welcomed.

ameerat42
21-02-2015, 8:28pm
Hi One-eyed. I've edited the font color of your post as it was dark grey on grey on a normal background.

OK, you first mentioned "usb card" then changed to "usb stick" and I guess you mean that, or a "thumb drive".

I haven't done anything like this, but I would say at the outset that you would need some time - and a good bit of it - between taking the pictures and having them ready to sell to the public. You would have to edit them, surely!

Call me unimaginative - I do anyway - but I can't see how you could do it alone in the time frame you suggest,
viz "almost straight after I've taken them!"

You mention Lightroom. Are the images you take in raw format?

I see three distinct workflows:
1) taking the pictures. Though I have no details, wouldn't this be ongoing during the event?
2) Processing the images (Lightroom at the very least). Again, this is a workflow in itself.
3) Copying images to USB sticks. - Depending on the number of images and the speed of your
equipment, this could also take time.

Nope! There's nothing for it! I'm unimaginative. I look forward to what others say.

(OK, unless it's a pretty small scale operation, that is.)

Am.

jev
21-02-2015, 8:31pm
Either shoot in jpeg and don't edit at all (why would you need to edit anyway?) or get an assistant to do the editing on scene. Yes, people will have to wait for their usb-stick; there are limits what can be done!

As a bonus though you could easily add a nice menu that would include more informationon the work of the group?

Mark L
22-02-2015, 12:32am
Either shoot in jpeg and don't edit at all (why would you need to edit anyway?) ....
jev beat me to it. Are your audience after high quality images that we may like? They'll just love you getting composition right?
Is there a way of stating that anyone who rescues an animal can have you come around and take better photos for them as they resettle? (possible small charge as they love heir animal now:confused013)

ameerat42
22-02-2015, 12:42am
Hmm! Now if you go for minimal to no editing - like just jpegs, then you could progressively come and download you images onto a master
drive (0n a laptop or so). You could set up some program (ideas folks?) that displays the images and allows for selections to be made for copying (absolutely pwd protected
and read only). People would purchase/acquire a usb stick and they or your assistant or someone could download the selection to USB stick.

A bit vague, but I guess you'd be mostly taking the pictures. Anyway, you could juggle something.

Analog6
22-02-2015, 8:55am
A few months ago I would have said it wasn't really feasible, but if you get the jpeg setting right it is. My Fujifilm X-M1 does amazing in camera jpeg production, I am very impressed, so it's just a matter of having that right.

Shoot with the camera a tethered to the computer, if possible, and then you can have someone managing/editing (copying to USB stick etc) while you shoot continuously. This person can also make a list of names and contact details (phone / email etc) for those buying photos(for on-selling if you want to do that).
I suggest you do some test shots the day before if possible, to see how the light is and get a good spot for the setup.
I assume the organisers will allocate a number to each participant, and for the first shot of each participant shoot a card with that number. This way you know exactly which animal is which. The card could also have the name written on to further avoid confusion.
When handing over the USB card give each owner a card for pet portraits at home, if you offer that service, of course.

Good luck for the day!

ricktas
22-02-2015, 11:03am
As per most of the posts above.

Setup someone to do the editing..BUT.. create a few 'presets' in Lightroom. Apply those presets to each set of images on import. Decide beforehand on the composition set.

1. of the dog sitting
2. of the dog standing side on.
3. of the owner with their dog.
4. etc

...decide on several poses and get dog/everyone to do the same thing. Basically have a standard set of poses, compositions etc, and repeat. That way you can use the presets with abandon. Say adding a vignette to the seated dog head shot, for example. Train your assistant in how to apply those presets. Get them to apply the preset as pre-planned and save the image, then straight onto the next photo.

Treat them like school photos (similar idea..lots of photos), group shot, head shot etc. Work it all out before the day and just repeat the workflow over and over, from getting the subjects to pose, to composing the shots the same way, to how you are going to get them from the camera to the computer, exactly what your assistant is going to do with each shot (application of presets), save and copy to USB.

I would not be 'winging' the poses on the day. Just find a few poses that work well and get everyone to do the same thing.

If you have 500-600 people attending over a couple of hours, even if half take up the photo offer, that is 250 people. Even if you get three hours, that is 83 people per hour. Whatever you do, you need to make sure it is streamlined and every step of your worflow is pre-planned to perfection, and that everything you can automate (ie use presets) you do automate.

fillum
22-02-2015, 12:15pm
Is downloading an option rather than USB sticks? Give customers a link to connect to a couple of days after the event and let them download themselves. This would allow you time to process properly and also eliminate a fair bit of 'mucking about' on the day...

Cheers.

oneeyedphoto
22-02-2015, 6:15pm
Thanks for editing my post ameerat42. :) I agree, whatever method I end up choosing, I'm going to need assistants, particularly if they want me to concentrate on taking pictures, rather than PP & copying to USB sticks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks jev. Starting to like the idea of no editing and using jpegs to speed up workflow (provided I get things right in camera). :)

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect Mark L that they will be wanting similar results from the Xmas shots I do for the rescue group. The only difference being, with those I was able to do PP on RAW shots. The rescue group then arranged free printing, with collection by the owners during the following week. I like your idea of the 'value add' later. I currently do the shots for some of the new pets needed rehousing. They have a 94% success rate so the group saves many lives.

- - - Updated - - -

Really like your suggestions Analog6. :) Never done any tethering before but wouldn't mind trying it out on a test run. I'll be certainly asking the organisers about some other assistants and the quality of their USB sticks to make sure they're reliable. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you ricktas. I will have an assistant that can set up some standard poses to improve the workflow. Your lightroom suggestions are great & indeed the level of thought that I need to put into pre-planning will certainly pay off on the day. thanks.:)

- - - Updated - - -

thank you fillum. This could be a great suggestion to overcome technological and workflow pressures on the day. Not sure if this is feasible with the groups current tech setup, but it's a great idea for the future and worthy of their consideration.