PDA

View Full Version : Fuji-X news

jev
10-02-2015, 9:39pm
Even though there seem not to be many Fuji-users around here, I thought it would be a good idea open a thread for Fuji news. Since I own an X-T1, most of the news will be related to that partcicular model (and lenses) but if I come across any other Fuji-X news I will post it here too.

Let's kick off with the new lens roadmap (http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n150210.html). Fuji announced the following lenses to be added to the current XF lens line-up:
XF 16/1.4 R
XF 35/2 R
XF 90/2 R
XF 120/2.8 R Macro 1:1
XF 100-400 (no other specs available yet)
1.4x Teleconverter for XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR, XF120mmF2.8 R Macro, XF100-400mm

According to FujiRumors, the 16/1.4, 90/2 and 35/2 will be weather sealed (but these are unconfirmed euh... rumors ;)).

CandidTown
10-02-2015, 10:28pm
I think there are a few of us here shooting with a Fuji.
I take my x-e1 on holidays mainly. It's light and the image quality is great.
I'm following Fuji rumors hoping that the new X-pro2 will come with a good AF system.
Although your x-t1 is already supposed to be pretty good.
I'd be interested to hear what people think about their ttl flashes as well.

I'm seriously considering dumping my Canon gear when x-pro2 comes out.
Not because Canon is bad, but I'm sick of carrying 10kg worth of gear on a shoot.

Analog6
11-02-2015, 7:38am
I have the X-M1 and it is a great little camera. Only have the 16-50 lens at the moment but trying to sell my medium format digital gear (it's too heavy for me with my bum ankle) and part of the funds will buy a longer lens for the Fuji. My main beef is with the manual, it's pretty useless and after quite a while with the camera I STILL can't work out how to get it onto 100ASA! I'd also like to be able to focus and then turn off auto-focus with a one button operation for panoramas.

even after I get rid of the MFD i'll still have Canon 1DsMkII & 60D bodies and several lenses :) I use a trolley when I go shooting, they're so weighty. Maybe I'll eventually make the step and go all small, but not quite ready yet :)

agb
11-02-2015, 11:43am
I'd be really keen to replace my 7D with a Fujifilm x mount too , but I am put off because they do not have IS on many/any of the prime lenses form what I can see, and unfortunately I really need that extra help to get sharp shots hand held.

jev
11-02-2015, 9:35pm
There indeed is no IS on the prime lenses. They are not weather-resistant either (though that is being worked on as you can see from the roadmap). However. The zoom lenses in some ways are better than the primes! The 10-24/4 is often said to optically outperforms the 14/2.8. I don't know if that is true (there are other reviews out there that disagree) but it's a close call. And, as a bonus, you get IS.

rackham
17-02-2015, 11:49pm
I have - and love - the x100s. For dinky on the sly street photos it's simply amazing.

Analog6
08-03-2015, 10:26am
The XF 16/1.4 R sounds as though it could be good for auroras and night shots. Loving my X-M1 though. This was the moon this morning with the bog standard 50-230 lens fully extended.

jev
31-03-2015, 8:40pm
New firmware updates available as of today:
Firmware version 3.10 for X-T1: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt1/index.html

Improvement of the flash function when "MECHANICAL+ELECTRONIC" is selected
An external non-TTL flash will fire when the "MECHANICAL+ELECTRONIC" is selected in the "SHUTTER TYPE" option of the SHOOTING MENU.
If "S (Shutter-Priority)" or "M (Manual Exposure)" mode is selected, set the shutter speed to 1/180 sec. or slower.
Improvement of the Wi-Fi function when "FUJIFILM PC AutoSave" is used
The phenomenon is fixed that Wi-Fi communication with "FUJIFILM PC AutoSave" stops at the moment the LCD turns off
Improvement of the display for the "USB MODE" in the SET-UP menu
1) When "PC SHOOT FIXED" is selected, the warning of "IMAGES ARE NOT SAVED IN THE CARD" appears
2) In case that "PC SHOOT FIXED" is selected in the "USB MODE" and the camera is not connected to a PC via a USB cable, you cannot turn off the camera when you turn the ON/OFF switch to the OFF positon or remove the lens from the camera becasue the camera stays in the waiting mode for image transfer.
With this upgrade, the message below will appear to confirm whether you stop the image transfer to the PC or not in such operations. If you press "OK" button, the camera will turn off without recording images.
Note
"PCSHOOT AUTO" and "PS SHOOT FIXED" in the "USB MODE" are the modes to use PC shooting softwware like the optional accessory HS-V5.
If you don't use such a software, select "MTP(PTP)" in the "USB MODE".
Improvement of camera function stability when used with shooting software like the Tethered Shooting Software HS-V5.

Firmware version 1.10 for X100T: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/x100t/

Addition of the messages when "COVERSION LENS" setting is changed in the FUNCTION (Fn) SETTING
When an Fn button with "CONVERSION LENS" setting is pressed, one of the messages below appears in a cyclic manner in addition to the icons.
Improvement of flash function when "MECHANICAL+ELECTRONIC" is selected
An external flash will fire when the "MECHANICAL+ELECTRONIC" is selected in the "SHUTTER TYPE" option of the shooting menu.
Improvement of the viewfinder display
When the dual optical viewfinder/electronic range finder (ERF) display is used with the Digital Split Image, the white Focus frame appears in the center of the viewfinder.
Improvement of Focus Peaking display in the electronic viewfinder under a dark environment for easy focus setting.

Furthermore, there are updates for a couple of lenses. All provide improvements to the OIS system:
10-24 http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/lens/xf10-24mm/index.html
18-55 http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/lens/xf18-55mm/index.html
18-135 http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/lens/xf18-135mm/index.html
55-200 http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/lens/xf55-200mm/index.html

Get 'm while they're hot! :D

Analog6
12-05-2015, 4:06pm
Fuji have announced (http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n150511.html) a firmware upgrade for the X-T1. "The firmware introduces a new AF system with upgraded autofocus performance as well as an array of other improvements that reflect feedback from users."

jev
12-05-2015, 7:32pm
Yep. X-T1 will be upgraded to use 77 AF sensing areas instead of the current 49, automatic macro mode, automatic eye-detection AF and so on. It's great that these features are added to existing models through software only :cool:

First hands-on preview here: http://www.fujirumors.com/using-firmware-4/

Morgo
17-05-2015, 12:04pm
I'm seriously considering getting an XT-1 now with a few lenses as lighter more compact option to my Canon gear.
I'll never go 100% over especially on the long focal length side, never parting with my Canon 200-400, but a compact system with some wide and medium FL lenses seems ideal for travel and the odd event.

old dog
18-05-2015, 10:35am
yep, love my X-E1 as a travel camera. The lack of weight really makes things pleasant and I`m really happy with the performance too. Have the 18-55 and it is a great lens. I hardly pick up the nikon D7k now.

thebookfreak58
19-05-2015, 3:24pm
I've recently begun the process of selling all my Canon gear for an XT-1.

After getting the body and kit lens, I've made the right call for sure! These rock :)

tannyboy
03-06-2015, 2:43pm
Well I'm back to just say I'm migrating to the fuji system too. the x100t is the new normal for me. the wife has an xe2 with 35mm.
Tons and Tons lighter than the canon rigs that we have/had

Analog6
05-06-2015, 4:44pm
I'm seriously considering getting an XT-1 now with a few lenses as lighter more compact option to my Canon gear.
I'll never go 100% over especially on the long focal length side, never parting with my Canon 200-400, but a compact system with some wide and medium FL lenses seems ideal for travel and the odd event.

You won't regret it. I have X-T1 and X-M1 and the 2 cheaper lenses, plus the 18-55 and a Samyang 12mm for =astro and landscapes. I have swapped 12kgs for just over 3kgs, and I hardly ever lug everything with me on any one shooting excursion. I still have a 60D and a couple of lenses, but may sell them down the track. Best thing I ever did.

jev
07-07-2015, 8:45pm
In the meantime, the new firmware for the X-T1 (version 4.00) has arrived. Download here (www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt1/index.html). Changes:

1. New AF System
(1)Zone and Wide/Tracking modes for effortless capture of moving subjects The AF System complements the fast and accurate 49-single-point autofocus system with new Zone and Wide/Tracking modes, which use 77 autofocus points across a wider area to substantially improve the camera's ability to capture moving subjects.
(2)Improvement of AF accuracy Single-point AF divides the focus area into smaller sections to more accurately determine the distance to the subject for even greater focusing accuracy. The built-in phase detection pixels have the detection range of 0.5EV, an improvement from the previous 2.5EV, delivering phase detection AF performance that enables fast focusing in low-light conditions and on low- contrast subjects.
(3)Eye detection AF The firmware update provides Fujifilm's Eye Detection AF, which automatically detects and focuses on human eyes.The function allows you to easily focus on the eyes even in difficult conditions.
(4)Auto Macro mode The firmware update introduces the Auto Macro function, which automatically switches the camera into the Macro mode while maintaining the conventional AF speed. You no longer have to press the Macro button to initiate a close-up shot. This update eliminates the Macro function assigned to the Macro Button, allowing you to assign a different function to the button. (Just after this update, the function will be assigned to AF mode selection.)
(5)AF improvement in the Movie mode The optimized algorithm delivers a more natural and smooth AF action during movie recording.
2. Improvements
(1)Improved Shutter Speed Dial operation When the Shutter Speed Dial is set to T and the Shutter Type to Mechanical + Electronic, you can use the command dial to set a full range of exposure times from 30-1/32000sec. Previously, this was limited to 30-2 seconds. This is particularly useful when shooting in the portrait orientation with the Vertical Battery Grip VG-XT1 attached.
(2)Exposure Compensation control in Manual You can use the Exposure Compensation dial to make exposure adjustments while shooting in the Manual exposure mode with the ISO Auto setting.
(3)Finer lines on the framing grid enhances visibility The lines on the framing grid, which you can choose to display in the Screen Set-Up menu, have been made finer making it easier to view the subject.
(4)Name of Silent mode changed to avoid confusion The Silent Mode has been renamed to "SOUND & FLASH OFF" .

Installed and works like a charm (though I was taken by surprise when macro mode was not selectable anymore... :D).

torro
17-01-2016, 11:47am
Fuji x pro 2 announced. February 2016 release.

Brian500au
09-02-2016, 2:49pm
I am seriously considering adding a Fuji X as a second body to my canon gear. I cannot see in the short term future it would replace my Canon line up because I use this line up mostly for wild life photography and most of my travel is to photograph wildlife.

I am a little torn between available models.

I would primarily be looking for a body and lens I could use as a walk around travel camera but other uses of this body would be portrait, landscape and general street photography. I am thinking the X-T10 because it is small and light but there is also the X-Pro2 and the eagerly awaited X-T2 (currently X-T1).

I am in no rush to buy - I have enough canon gear now to cover all my immediate needs but I have been reading a lot about the Fuji system and that means I will develop GAS as time goes by.

Any advice would be appreciated based on your own experience.

Morgo
09-02-2016, 5:04pm
I am seriously considering adding a Fuji X as a second body to my canon gear. I cannot see in the short term future it would replace my Canon line up because I use this line up mostly for wild life photography and most of my travel is to photograph wildlife.

I am a little torn between available models.

I would primarily be looking for a body and lens I could use as a walk around travel camera but other uses of this body would be portrait, landscape and general street photography. I am thinking the X-T10 because it is small and light but there is also the X-Pro2 and the eagerly awaited X-T2 (currently X-T1).

I am in no rush to buy - I have enough canon gear now to cover all my immediate needs but I have been reading a lot about the Fuji system and that means I will develop GAS as time goes by.

Any advice would be appreciated based on your own experience.

I was in a similar position last year.

I use Canon and have a few big whites now which I don't see any other system or brand replacing anytime soon.
My main interest is wildlife and as you say when traveling its usually the Canon gear thats going.

That said I still wanted a lighter, smaller and less obvious system for small outings, events and travel. I plan on heading to Europe this year, canon gear is staying home.

So I bought an XT-1.
Played with the XT10 and Xpro1. Don't much care for the Xpro1 style, the XT10 felt like a cheaper knock off of the XT-1.
Plus I loved the design and build quality (something the XT10 lacks) of the XT-1 and really enjoy using it with the 56 1.2, the classic controls and manual aperture ring just adds to the shooting experience.
I've added some other Fuji glass, the battery grip and installed the larger eye cup (one big thing about the XT10 I didn't like is its small and fixed)

I haven't heard anything about an XT-2 coming out any time soon. I'm certain there will be one, the XT-1 was a big hit. Guess it depends how long you want to wait.

Brian500au
09-02-2016, 9:28pm
Thanks for the reply Morgo - our canon glass is very similar so I think we are very much using our canon gear for very much the same reasons, and I cannot see a mirrorless option replacing that in the next 10 years (but you never know).

Thank you also for the hands on comparison between the XT-1 and the XT-10. I have never held either one in my hands, but just by looking at the different shapes of all three mentioned bodies I am starting to lean towards the XT-1. My biggest concern is I am looking for a smaller alternative to the canon system, so I don't want to start building a system that will have a large foot print and weigh me down (in that case I may as well just keep my DSLR system). My wife uses a Canon SL1 (100D) and I cannot stop singing the praises of that little body.

I am thinking about buying some Fuji glass and renting the bodies as i need them until I settle on which body I would like to keep. I think if I do it that way I will get the feel for the bodies and if the XT-2 is released later in the year I can opt for that (assuming I prefer using the XT-1). I am heading for Japan next month to photograph the cherry blossoms and although I am taking my Canon gear with me I might rent a Fuji system as well to try it out.

Hit me up if you are heading for Europe as I lived there for the past two years and might be able to help you out with a few hints.

jev
09-02-2016, 11:05pm
If (when) you visit Europe, you could always ask tips from a European ofcourse :D.

Anyway, back to Fuji news. Firmware update 4.20 for the X-T1 was cancelled because of problems and replaced by 4.21, turning it back to the functionality available in 4.10. Last week however, new firmware has been released (http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n160204.html) (v4.30) which fixed the 4.20 problems. Featurelist:

1. Using flashguns in Bracketing/Continuous shooting modes
Optional flashguns can now be used for bracketing and burst photography. When using the EF-X8, which is bundled with the X-T1, the flash fires in ISO, FILM SIMULATION and WHITE BALANCE BKT modes.
2. Instant AF Setting in manual focus
Focus and exposure can now be locked when the AF-L button is used in manual focus mode. You can shoot after locking AF and AE with your thumb.
3. AF+MF operation with AF-L button
When using the AF-L button to lock focus in AF+MF mode, you can still adjust the focus more accurately using the lens's focusing ring.
4. Focus zoom in AF+MF
The FOCUS ASSIST button can be used for focus zoom and you can fine tune focusing using the lens's focusing ring with focus zoom activated.
5. Additional Custom Display options
Functions have been added to the DISP. CUSTOM SETTING option in the setup menu. Choose the information you want, then concentrate on shooting.
(Additional items)
Focus frame / Shooting mode / Information background / Focus mode / Shutter type / Continuous mode / Dual IS mode / Movie mode / Blur warning
6. The Fn7 Button
The movie-record button can now be used as a Fn button (Fn7). Press and hold DISP/BACK to select what it controls.
7. Fully compatible with FUJINON XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
To be fully compatible with the lens, the new firmware supports focus limiter function for FUJINON XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR.

Download as usual from http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt1/

jev
13-02-2016, 7:19am
In further news... according to mirrorless rumors (http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/fujis-next-new-lens-is-rumored-to-be-the-xf-200mm-f2-0/) there are some new lenses in development:
XF8mm (fisheye?)
XF33mm f/1.0
XF120mm f/2.8 WR Macro (introduction Photokina sept 2016)
XF200mm f/2.0 (introduction Photokina sept 2016)
XF 2x teleconverter

A 200 f/2, that is gonna'be interesting!

Morgo
17-03-2017, 11:32pm
Any updates on that 200 F2?

scottv69
21-03-2017, 12:52pm
Another Fuji user here with an X100S. Subscribing to this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jev
23-03-2017, 8:36pm
Firmware updates announced:
X-T1 version 5.10 (http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt1/index.html)
X-T2 version 1.20 (http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt2/index.html)
X-Pro2 version 2.10 (http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xpro2/index.html)
EF-X500 version 1.02 (http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/accessories/software/efx500/index.html)
The updates on the camera bodies seem to be necessary only to enable updating EF-X500

As for primes: a long prime has been added to the charts for 2018. Don't hold your breath though, haven't seen any information on the alledged 200/2

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/img/index/pic_02.jpg