PDA

View Full Version : Blue Mountains / Astrophotography

MDof2
03-02-2015, 1:08pm
Interested in doing some astrophotography in the Blue Mountains area.
If anyone has any experience with that as a suitable location (or somewhere else) in relation to Sydney (being roughly an hour-ish drive) I'd love to get some tips, pointers, and or hear any experiences / share some shots from your experiences.

Thanks-

kevin301
06-02-2015, 1:26pm
I'd been to KuRingGai-Chase National Park some years back one late evening, and there was very little light pollution then.
I remember seeing millions of stars in the night sky.

I'm a novice when it comes to astrophotography. Spent quite a lot of time fumbling in the dark trying to figure out the appropriate exposure.
Here's my attempt from a couple of years back when I visited Mt Bromo in Indonesia
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3833/10138554733_80798994f3_b.jpg

It was a struggle (for me) to get the right exposure yet not have such a long exposure time that the stars actually appear as streaks rather than points of light.

Mark L
08-02-2015, 10:54pm
Can you get to Mt Bromo in Indonesia :lol2:MDof2?
So if you turn right onto Victoria Falls Road (just before the bridge over the railway leading into Mount Victoria) when you end up coming out of the trees, look right after a single outstanding rock (on the right) and you'll actually see Sydney in the distance. I imagine (since that's all I can do) the lights of Sydney and the night skies above may look pretty good.
Check it out in the daytime, then go back at night. Into camping? Proceed to end of road.

enVision
11-02-2015, 8:18pm
Or Mount Boyce, just before the start of Mount Victoria Pass. Go to the end and you look out onto Mt Vic pass. Could get some nice light trails / light painting from the vehicles headlights and there isn't much light pollution there..