PDA

View Full Version : Olympus 17mm f1.8 vs Pana 20mm f1.7

illywhacker
23-01-2015, 9:37pm
So looking for a prime to replace the kit zoom lens on my OMD EM5. I do mainly street photography and so was looking at the Oly 17mm.

But then the Pana 20mm seems legendary, and a cool $100 - $150 cheaper. But then I really do think I prefer the 17mm focal length of the Oly. But then the Oly seems to get some average reviews. But then some are real positive. But is the Oly really worth the extra $$$. But then I could get the Pana cheap second hand as a few seem to be for sale on Gumtree. But then maybe people are selling them because they've upgraded to the Oly. But then, but then...

Oh somebody please just make the decision for me as I'm at that point where I've just over researched it.

Should I even be getting a prime??? Even though I shoot pretty much always at 17mm with the kit 14-42mm lens, maybe it's good enough and I should save some cash?

Help!

ameerat42
23-01-2015, 9:59pm
It sounds like a case where you could shut your eyes, do nothing, and hope it goes away.

Well, Q time.
What's the main problem with the lens you're using now? Ie, will it achieve what you want well enough?

If respectively "nothing" and "yes", then forget the rest. Consign "legendary" to mythology and use the 1 you've got.

Ian Brewster
23-01-2015, 10:44pm
Go read "A Lesser Photographer", relax and enjoy your capabilities!

Nick Cliff
23-01-2015, 11:05pm
- - - Updated - - -

Have you compared the lenses on photo sharing sites for your requirements, often in real world use there not is not a great deal of difference.Prime lenses are usually better than the kit zoom lenses in my experience unless you have a pro level lens in the kit already. I believe the Panasonic lens is very good so I would probably go that way. I noticed some buildings being distorted by the wider 17mm lens that would concern me.I feel if you are into landscape photos the vignetting in daylight should not be a drama with the Panasonic lens however if night or low light photos are your interest then the Oly may be the go. The 14-42 kit lens I found very good however at times the colour inaccuracy and purple fringing really annoyed me, regards Nick.

MattNQ
24-01-2015, 4:31am
At the risk of more over-research have you checked out the mu-43 forum? Plenty of examples and opinions of most body/lens combos.

illywhacker
26-01-2015, 8:30pm
I know what you mean Brewster don't to slide down the slippery slope of endless gear upgrading. It's a silly thing to worry about and of course I don't really need one. I pretty much have my zoom lens set at 17mm though so I thought get one good prime to get the best out of the camera and leave it at that.

I'll keep my eye out for a good deal maybe.

Thanks for your help.