PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy lenses.

branchel
17-01-2015, 2:46pm
Hello all. new member here.
Own a K-50, and have been shopping around for lenses.

What I keep finding is that very few camera stores keep Pentax or third party lenses in Pentax mount.
Most will do a special order, but that takes time. I recently waited ten days to be told the lens wasn't available, so agreed to an alternative.
A week later I still don't know if the alternative will arrive.

Is this the experience of other Pentax owners?
Is there a reliable supplier that actually keeps stock?

John

Kym
17-01-2015, 3:57pm
:gday: & Welcome to AP!
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

It is a problem for us Pentaxians. Generally a call to CR Kennedy will help advise where a good local supplier can be found.
Also eBay can be helpful

ameerat42
17-01-2015, 6:26pm
You think Pentax is bad!!! Try looking for a Σ mount lens.
You can ONLY get them (new and warranted) in Aus through Cr Kennedy!!

And WHO IS CR KENNEDY? (http://consumer.crkennedy.com.au/)

And welcome to AP too.

Am.

tduell
17-01-2015, 8:47pm
CR Kennedy also handle Sigma, and may point you at DCExpert, where you can buy online, at Very Good prices.

Cheers,
Terry

branchel
17-01-2015, 10:34pm
Thanks to all for the replies.
I found dcxpert on ebay, they look like a good bet. 100% feedback too.

Is this lack of suppliers an Australian phenomenon, or worldwide?

John

KevPride
22-01-2015, 5:12pm
John, I have bought Pentax lenses from dcexpert on evilbay and they are very good. Pentax is unfortunately a small player now (very good one though!) and few stores have all/ any lenses. Some stores also are Online where you can see what is available. B&H used to be very good when the $ exchange was in our favour but expensive shipping.

Good luck

Kevin

maishy
24-01-2015, 4:09pm
I recently purchased a K3 body direct from the Pentax Australia site online and got it within a couple of days. They also have the full range of Pentax lenses to purchase online. Also the Digital Camera Warehouse website is good for ordering Pentax compatible lenses from. I recently purchased a nifty fifty through Ted's here in Canberra and it only took a couple of days, but based on my experience with the K# body I will be getting most things I need in future from The Pentax Australia site online. The K3 body was cheaper than all other sites I checked.

branchel
25-01-2015, 5:59pm
*removed - please read the site rules : in particular rules 3-7 : admin*

Here's hoping.

branchel
27-01-2015, 12:23am
*removed - please read the site rules : in particular rules 3-7 : admin*

Here's hoping.

I understand the rule, and the reason for it, but did my comment really amount to "promotion"?

ricktas
27-01-2015, 6:47am
I understand the rule, and the reason for it, but did my comment really amount to "promotion"?

Whilst the vast majority of new members are just that, genuine new members, we deal with spammers on a daily basis, including joining up and asking questions then saying xxx has it at this price, or I am looking at buying it from yyy etc, when a bit of investigation reveals the new member works for the place they are talking about. So sadly we have the 30 days /50 posts rule that all new members have to abide by.

Fedgrub
27-01-2015, 10:57am
I'm a fan of that rule.

Slowtour
25-08-2015, 7:34am
Hi Rick, I have a question but don't want to fall foul of the rules. I am interested in a Samyang lens for astrophotography to go with my new K3ii when it arrives. I have found an Australian supplier who is cheaper than the rest but never heard of them before. The site looks professional but that would not be difficult to do. I wanted to ask the forum if anyone had used them before & if they are ok/ genuine. But not sure if I can mention the company - is this ok?

ameerat42
25-08-2015, 9:25am
ST. (That's SlowTour. I abbreviate almost everything.)
In the meantime, have a look at what the site sponsors have to offer. Click on the button "Sponsors"
near the top of the page, in the advertising banner...

ricktas
25-08-2015, 7:00pm
Hi Rick, I have a question but don't want to fall foul of the rules. I am interested in a Samyang lens for astrophotography to go with my new K3ii when it arrives. I have found an Australian supplier who is cheaper than the rest but never heard of them before. The site looks professional but that would not be difficult to do. I wanted to ask the forum if anyone had used them before & if they are ok/ genuine. But not sure if I can mention the company - is this ok?

The issue we have had in the past is people saying 'I got a lens from yyy and they were great, cheap, great service, just wanted to share' and then we find out a couple of months later that the new member works at yyy or it is owned by their aunt etc.

The other side if it is, we have had someone say 'I just went to vvv store and the staff were so rude, I could not believe how they treated me and other customers, anyone know another store around where they are that is good?" and we find out later that the new member works for the store over the road from vvv, and was bagging out the competition.

So that is the basis behind the site rule.

So until you have 30 days and 50 posts be careful about how you word any post about a company etc, cause it could be removed by one of the mod team. Certainly the more you participate and the more we see you are genuine about your photography etc, the more inclined we are to accept a post asking a question, than someone who has joined and it is in their first few posts. So whilst the 30/50 rule applies, we do evaluate individually on the member etc before we act.

Glen1
25-08-2015, 8:04pm
Good advice there from all concerned. I'd like to add that I've bought from CR Kennedy before, and they gave me a better-than-internet price after I'd sent them an email asking for their best price. That was for my K5 II, but try them for lenses as well. I've also bought from dcexpert via ebay (Sigma 10-20 f3.5), and it arrived with a receipt from.......C R Kennedy. Otherwise, grey imports have served me well, but the government is currently trying to reduce their appeal by lowering the Import tax threshold.

Regards
Glen1

Snpsht
26-08-2015, 2:39pm
Good advice there from all concerned. I'd like to add that I've bought from CR Kennedy before, and they gave me a better-than-internet price after I'd sent them an email asking for their best price. That was for my K5 II, but try them for lenses as well. I've also bought from dcexpert via ebay (Sigma 10-20 f3.5), and it arrived with a receipt from.......C R Kennedy. Otherwise, grey imports have served me well, but the government is currently trying to reduce their appeal by lowering the Import tax threshold.

Regards
Glen1

I second this opinion - the people at both places are extremely helpful and purchases arrive amazingly quickly.

(I have no association with either outlets, other than as a highly satisfied repeat customer).

Slowtour
29-08-2015, 7:11am
Thank you for the reply and others for chipping in. I will wait before posting the question I guess. After all anything that slows down my purchasing is probably a good thing. :lol: Incidentally the companies mentioned here are not the mob I was looking at. My new K3 ii arrived the other day so I will post my first impressions on a Pentax forum here somewhere. :)