PDA

View Full Version : Photographic Locations in South Australia?

LittleSparrow
08-01-2015, 9:03pm
One of my least strong points when it comes to photography is getting my background right. It's something I really want to spend some time working on but I can never seem to find anywhere I like. Any South Aussies on here that wouldn't mind sharing their fav locations for portraits, sunsets etc.?

sanger
09-01-2015, 5:32pm
The Torrens and beaches are a good start.
Loads of color around the new footbridge.
Mount Lofty for a sunrise and then nip over to the Botanic Gardens. ( yet to try )
I suppose it depends where you live and distance you want to travel.

Eden
21-01-2015, 6:48pm
Hi LittleSparrow ,

--There will be heaps going on at Port Adelaide this weekend ( my neck of the woods )

--Wonderwalls is being painted now so there is plenty to look at with cherry picking artists and the likes so here is the map

http://wonderwallsfestival.com/map/

also in the area

--there is the Maritime, Aviation and Train museums in Port Adelaide (a few of us have been with the cameras and it was good camera fodder)

--the old Elders Woolsheds are a great spot to shoot and the old cranes behind Pivot Fertilisers are stunning in the right light

--Semaphore rd has the sideshows, Steam Train, Old MerrygoRound/carousell (largest in Aus with 40 handmade horses) and a load of character people and character buildings.

--Port Adelaide, it's buildings (Harts Mill) and residents are worth a quiet walk round as well

I hope this helps to get the cameras out.

Cheers Eden

Ian L
19-04-2015, 1:59pm
We are lucky here as our beaches face west so sunsets are great from nearly any coastal location, Hallett Cove is my favourite, the glacial rocks work really well with long exposures, although a little cloud in the sky helps to bring out the rich colours in the sky.
You can't go wrong with the Torren either, the new bridge and Adelaide Oval light up really well, I have found the best time is before dawn, no wind and the water is like glass creating some awesome reflections.
As already stated, the Port has lots of photo opportunities, decent lights and reflections at night and nice old rustic buildings everywhere with a few interesting characters roaming the streets.

HelenClaire
08-06-2015, 12:18pm
Live down south so am a little biased as to photographic spots.

Pt Willunga is a must with the iconic jetty ruins though make sure you check the tide times as this will determine the type of shot you want. High tide and all you'll get is water and the pylons. Low tide you'll get the sand and rocks in the scene as well as the jetty ruin. In the middle you'll get a nice scene with waves swirling around the rocks. Tip: wear wellington boots so you can wade in without getting your feet wet. Also protects your feet against the rocks.
McClaren Vale. Found a nice spot on the left as you turn into the town from Main South Rd. It is a Visitor Info place and there is a small vineyard and creek/lagoon you can walk around.
Wetland reserve on Byards Rd. Reynella. Great when foggy.
Pt Noarlunga for a jetty and beachside scenes.
Piggott Range Rd/Clarendon/Kangarilla has lovely rolling farmland which at the moment is super green due to the rain we've had of late.
Handorf for farm scenes. Stirling for Autumn colour.

Still on the lookout for more.