PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Laptop - Advice on display

ameerat42
02-01-2015, 5:11pm
...Help and ideas, really...:D from someone who has something similar.

Some time ago I got an ASUS Zenbook 15" HD Touchscreen, Core I7, WIN8.1, two SSDs, goes like the clappers and everything n:)ce...
- except...

I cannot get a constant brightness on the screen. It sometimes goes to a dimly lit display - as if you were running on battery save mode or something.
It has settings that I have adjusted to supposedly show the same brightness all the time, but it still changes. It does a few minutes bright, and then
half a minute or so dim.

An on-line search of the "problem" told me nothing I could put my finger on. Does anybody get the same happening? Have you found a solution?

Model: ASUS U500VZ

Ta, Am.

nardes
02-01-2015, 5:24pm
Is there a sensor that reads the ambient light and then adjusts the screen brightness to compensate for bright/dark conditions as the ambient light changes?:confused013

Cheers

Dennis

ameerat42
02-01-2015, 5:29pm
Ta Dennis. I wondered about that, but the ambient light is fairly constant when this happens.
I suspect it is supposed to work this way, but it's a darned pest when you're trying to do images.

ricktas
02-01-2015, 6:06pm
In windows 7 there is an option to dim the screen after a set time of inactivity, and then all you do is wiggle the mouse, hit space etc to bring back full brightness. Is it going dull when it is just sitting there, or while it is being used?

ameerat42
02-01-2015, 7:09pm
While it is being used, Rick. It blanks the screen to black after a minute, and when resumed, it may be normal brightness (usual), or not. But after a while it d:(ms
again. Mostly, it is bright, but just when you want it to stay bright, it might dim.

I will (try to) contact ASUS here about it. Wish I had known about this "feature" - if it is one - beforehand. Trouble is, everything else about it is too good.
Am.

ricktas
02-01-2015, 7:35pm
Power: It could be the power source/supply

Interference: It could be a nearby electrical/electronic device interfering

ameerat42
02-01-2015, 7:44pm
Ta for the idea of a possibly faulty PS. Will try that by switching it off and seeing what happens...

farmmax
03-01-2015, 1:38am
This may or may not help :)

See if the posts halfway down the page below might relate to your problem at all
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/659073-ivy-bridge-zenbook-fhd-ips-screen-ux21a-ux31a-ux32a-ux32vd-448.html

Might be worth seeing if the fix for that problem on their laptops works on yours:

"At first I thought the issue was related to adaptive brightness, but it's actually a setting of Intel graphics (Display Power Saving Technology). The fix is pretty easy:

1. Right click on your desktop, and select "Graphics Properties...".
2. Select Basic or Advanced mode.
3. On the left hand side, click the Power tab.
4. Near the top of the window, set Power source to "On battery"
5. Finally, among the Power Conservation options, uncheck Display Power Saving Technology."

ameerat42
03-01-2015, 8:42am
Ta Max. I saw this in my travels, and I think maybe I did NOT set it as suggested. Will have another look @ settings.