PDA

View Full Version : Across the bay for cancer

MissionMan
02-01-2015, 3:32pm
Hi everyone

I normally do free photography for an event every year called "Across the bay to conquer cancer". Its a kitesurfing event to raise money for cancer. The website for the event is http://acrossthebay.com.au. All the photography on the site is stuff I've done in previous years, a mix of good and bad as I have learnt along the way.

This year I thought I would open the door to anyone else who wants to join me for the event. It's not a paid gig, it's giving something back for charity but it may be an opportunity for a couple of others to join and have a go at event photography if it's of interest and you feel it's a good learning experience you want to undertake. Obviously we can't have 50 people along but I don't think there will be too many takers anyway. It will be held on the 5th/6th or the 14th/15th (its dependent on wind obviously). It starts in Rosebud and runs across to Port Melbourne but the plan for the day is normally to travel to Rosebud in the morning, hang around waiting for wind taking photos until the guys and girls leave, then head off to a midway point where other kiters do a half bay and then finally head to Port Melbourne for the finish. It's a whole day event. It's not a hard work event, you can relax when you want, head off and get drinks or lunch at your convenience and do whoever appeals to you.

I've normally taken a 24-70 and a 70-200 as my main lenses but if you have something longer that would help. I may try rent a portable strobe this year to help with some of the final photos.

On the transport front, I normally take my car so happy to give people a lift if they don't have transport.

From a personal perspective, it's been a big learning curve for me. Positioning of people for final photos, managing crowds of family wanting to take photos has been interesting. If there are better photographers out there who want to attend, i'm happy to learn from them as well.

Anyway, let me know if you're interested. You're welcome to do a half day of just a portion of photos if you want, but obviously you wouldn't be able to catch a lift if you intend leaving early.

rookie
02-01-2015, 4:40pm
Good on you MissionMan for doing this

MissionMan
05-02-2015, 10:02am
Event is this Sunday. Dates have been finalised based on wind if anyone is keen to come along.

Jim560
07-03-2015, 1:12pm
A shot that was taken whilst waiting on the pack..

Event is this Sunday. Dates have been finalised based on wind if anyone is keen to come along.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5312d980e4b00ae8705e0531/5312deaee4b060dc36b43688/54fa5d0ce4b0868e87a60386/1425693965182/danandjez.jpg?format=1000w&storage=local