PDA

View Full Version : Dual camera setups

MissionMan
01-01-2015, 3:15pm
Just wanted to see what people are using to carry dual cameras. I know there are a variety of options like SpiderPro, Blackrapid and Peak Design. Does anyone use these rigs? I have used the Black rapid but it's not the most comfortale rig and I am not sure I'd want to carry 2 cameras on one.

ricktas
01-01-2015, 5:46pm
I have not used the Black Rapid one designed for two cameras but have heard it is quite good.

Wobbles
01-01-2015, 10:53pm
Hi MM, I've had the BlackRapid DR1 for a while and quite like it. I've shot full day events with two canon 1d's c/w 24-70 & 70-200L's & flash with no back/neck pain at the end of the shoot. I like that you can easily adjust camera position 'on the fly' which is handy if working in crowds etc. I haven't tried the other two but don't think that sort of load would work for me on a waist belt? I do have a ThinkTank Speed Belt and Skin set and have found that fully loaded up I have to use the Racing Harness otherwise it's constantly sliding down and/or pulling my pants down! :o

MissionMan
03-01-2015, 9:23pm
Hi MM, I've had the BlackRapid DR1 for a while and quite like it. I've shot full day events with two canon 1d's c/w 24-70 & 70-200L's & flash with no back/neck pain at the end of the shoot. I like that you can easily adjust camera position 'on the fly' which is handy if working in crowds etc. I haven't tried the other two but don't think that sort of load would work for me on a waist belt? I do have a ThinkTank Speed Belt and Skin set and have found that fully loaded up I have to use the Racing Harness otherwise it's constantly sliding down and/or pulling my pants down! :o

Thanks Wobbles. The thing that bugged me about the Blackrapid was the way the cameras swing around which is dangerous with kids. I tried the Peak Design on a Thinktank Steroid and it holds two bodies pretty well which is all I really need so I ended up going down that path. I may investigate the spider pro if this doesn't work for me.

Hamster
14-01-2015, 3:27pm
I use the spider pro system, but usually with one camera. I did use it with a 5D in the holster and a 40D on a strap and that worked well but I am not particularly left or right handed so I have the advantage of it feeling natural whether a camera is hung left or right.

The good thing about the spider pro is the lack of dangling and swinging, which as you say can be a pain with kids, or just when you move with one in hand and the other hits something nearby. But regarding kids, the spider pro also hangs the camera at perfect toddler head height. So you have to watch it when they're running around you as they often avoid the person not the sticky out camera. I find it to be a nice comfortable way of carrying heavy kit and you can access the camera easily and quickly.