PDA

View Full Version : Who has switched from Nikon/Canon FF to a Sony A7/A7r/A7s

The_Scroop
25-11-2014, 5:45pm
Hey guys,

Been a while!

In the past I've gone from a canon kit to Nikon D3 (when I was doing professional work) then to a Nikon D600 with a 24-70 2.8 as my only lens after selling the rest. These days when I get a chance to shoot it's mostly travel photography. Having done two Europe trips with the D600 + 24-70, I'm finding it far too large and heavy. I know people on here would use this setup or more and carry even more lenses on top, but for me it just doesn't work. Photos come out just like I want but at the cost of the weight of it all.

Next year I'm heading to the Philippines for a couple weeks and then and then middle year to Amsterdam, Berlin, Greek Islands, Spain and then over to Colombia (all in the space of 4 weeks, lots of travel and travelling light with a backpack). As such, I need a light kit to go along with me.

Going to an APSC sensor isn't an option. Wouldn't go back from full frame.

This leaves me with an option to go Sony A7, given it's the smallest and lightest FF available at the moment. Stats all look good to in terms of IQ, ISO handling, dynamic range

Anybody made this switch or can provide advice/opinions? I'm thinking of getting the A7 mk2 that was announced this week. The 5 axis image stabilisation looks good. I would basically shoot with 2 lenses. Most of the time a 35mm and probably have a 55mm in the bag. The ability to transfer photos straight from the camera to a mobile phone via wifi means I can easily upload to Facebook & Instagram while on the move overseas, rather than doing what I do now which is take a photo with my camera and then pull out my iphone to take another photo for social media. The EVF isn't that amazing, but I'm not against the idea of using the rear screen for most photos as I would do with an P&S or my phone.

Another option could be my D600 with one or two Nikon primes (and there are far more options at the moment, as well as cheaper), but weight and size is my biggest factor and the Sony does provide a few extra fetures the Nikon doesn't have which I'm impressed with

Thoughts?

I @ M
25-11-2014, 6:09pm
I wondered why you bothered going with a "large" camera such as the Sony ( with such confusing lens compatibility options ) when smaller lighter apsc bodies with good lenses exist. After all, when the images are destined for such cringe worthy places such as FB and igram, you will not see the difference in iq ----

Speaking of iq, I reckon that the apsc offerings these days for travel photography outdo the rest for good photos especially when cost and size factor enter into it.

Lance B
25-11-2014, 7:48pm
I agree with Andrew. I don't think you'll save much size going to a Sony A7 as the lenses will be just as big anyway.

jev
25-11-2014, 9:05pm
You don't want to hear this, but why do you want to stick with fullframe?

I've gone back from a Canon 5DII to a Fuji X-T1 based system. Fuji's IQ is on par if not better than the Canon. If you're going into towns, there's the fantastic 27/2.8 pancake and the 18/2.0R, making your camera pretty light and inconspicuous looking. As a bonus, shooting JPEG with the little Fuji is very well possible. Where, with Canon, I used to shoot RAW all the time (and thus needed to PP everything), this is almost never necessary anymore with the Fuji.

It's not without its limitations of course, but so is the step to Sony. There's loads of glass available for the Fuji, not so many for the Sony. I wouldn't hesitate!

The_Scroop
26-11-2014, 12:05am
I guess I'm so used to FF after all the years I'm reluctant to change back. Used to the focal lengths in particular, especially since I tend to shoot wide. I might look into Nikon primes as an alternative with the d600. Weight is my biggest factor that makes me want to switch to Sony's offering, but perhaps a d600 with a couple primes will be alright.

Having not kept up to date with bodies, is there a small APSC body that has equal or better IQ to the d600 and also equal or better ISO handling? (I shoot a lot of low light too)

arthurking83
27-11-2014, 6:50pm
..... is there a small APSC body that has equal or better IQ to the d600 and also equal or better ISO handling? (I shoot a lot of low light too)

The important aspect to consider when trying to clearly define differences in IQ ability is your output size and format(s)

If as already said it's just for Fb or twitter, or whatever other net based socializing sphere .. then your iPhone's ability is probably equal or better.

if you also want the ability to print large copies, or crop heavily (if the need arises) under marginal conditions, then any of the Sony 24Mp APS-C sensor cameras should be fine. This appears to be a very capable sensor. In Nikon terms this means D3300/5300/7100. (I think the Sony a6000 also uses this sensor too).
Like Jev said, Fuji's APS-C sensor is a fantastic sensor too at high ISO. Only problem is if you shoot on in raw format, Fuji's are limited to ISO6400. To unlock higher ISO ratings you need to shoot jpg mode.

If you reckon you want a few primes to go with your D600, 50/1.8 is good, as is the 35/1.8(for Fx .. remembering there is a Dx 35/1.8 available too).
Nikon's 20mm f/1.8 also looks interesting too.

What makes the A7II interesting is the image stabilization(as you said).
I once had a try at holding an A7(only at a shop for a few minutes). While it wasn't totally uncomfortable for my hand(size), I still wasn't convinced that smaller is better.
FWIW tho, I also found that I didn't like the D600 as it was also too small for me to hold comfy for long periods.

I don't know how much your budget allows for, but if you want cheap, light and pretty much all purpose camera and lens setup(with the limited perspective of a 35mm and a 50mm prime lens combo) .. I can't imagine that a D3300 + Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 would cost too much more than $1K or so. This gives you a slightly wider FOV than a 35mm prime on Fx and a similar 50-ish mm FOV too, same aperture value(of f/1.8) the lens has a good report for IQ .. D3300 has 24Mp to play with(same as D7100 and D5300).
I don't think that the D3300 has Wifi tho .. whereas the D5300 has Wifi(built in) and hence can connect to smartypants phones for instant socio-gratification purposes .. etc, etc ...

As for the Sigma 18-35/1.8 zoom lens .. think of it in this manner.
Two primes at 35 and 50mm with f/1.8 apertures will have a certain volume requirement, and an approximate weight of about 500g(200g for 50mm and 300g for 35mm)
While the Sigma lens is bigger than either of the two primes compared directly, it's volume(for packing) will be smaller in an overall manner. It's just that it's weight is more than the two primes combined(at about 800g). I suppose that's the disadvantage of having 17 f/1.8 focal lengths in 1mm increments, all in one package! ;)

Just some ideas to keep you thinking.
BTW: holiday itinerary sounds like fun! :th3:

swifty
06-12-2014, 1:04pm
Just chiming in with a few random thoughts.
I believe a D750's currently the smallest FX DSLR available but its still only a little smaller than your current D600.
But as others have mentioned, your lens choice will largely determine your overall travel weight.
And unfortunately there's no free lunch when the lens has to cover the full image circle of a full frame sensor.
Hence why even when considering mirrorless options, when comparing equivalent lenses the body-only size and weight advantage of mirrorless quickly diminishes.
But the A7II is interesting with the addition of IBIS giving their FE 24-70/4 zoom stabilisation which may or may not be more useful than your 24-70/2.8 non-stabilised depending on what you like to shoot.

I think you need to prioritise whether it is weight or IQ you want. If bulk reduction is the aim I think you have no choice but to pick a smaller sensor format. But these days you give up very little in IQ especially in the often used ISO ranges.
The Fuji X-T1 with some X-Pro lenses are probably my pick currently. The Sony a6000 also looks good on paper but I'm still a little underwhelmed by lens choices in the E/FE mount ranges.

axle01
19-01-2015, 11:58am
Just picked up on this thread and I have just ordered a Sony A7s last week, I was in Bris/Syd/Mel over the Christmas and I went into every major camera shop in the 3 cities wanting to purchase one and only 1 shop had a demo one in stock, so when I came back to Townsville I approached 1 of our local camera shops and the price was cheaper than in the 3 big cities.

I am not ditching my Nikon gear to replace it with the Sony but adding it to my gear as it has very good low light and also good for astro.

I'll be using my Nikon lenses on it and maybe purchase a 55mm Sony lens for the convenience.

swifty
19-01-2015, 3:54pm
I am not ditching my Nikon gear to replace it with the Sony but adding it to my gear as it has very good low light and also good for astro.

You might find this article useful since you've just picked up an A7s and are into Astro
http://petapixel.com/2015/01/18/tutorial-photographing-processing-orion-constellation/

axle01
19-01-2015, 9:01pm
You might find this article useful since you've just picked up an A7s and are into Astro
http://petapixel.com/2015/01/18/tutorial-photographing-processing-orion-constellation/
Geez mate I really appreciate that link, thank you.

bitsnpieces
26-01-2015, 1:02am
I'm definitely going to be looking into that link to, though I don't have the a7s, there's still good info. :)

Also, as for who's switched to Sony:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wM_5nROeaw

If you want, you can watch his face glow here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUBSujbKfEo

lol

axle01
08-02-2015, 5:34pm
Just picked up on this thread and I have just ordered a Sony A7s last week, I was in Bris/Syd/Mel over the Christmas and I went into every major camera shop in the 3 cities wanting to purchase one and only 1 shop had a demo one in stock, so when I came back to Townsville I approached 1 of our local camera shops and the price was cheaper than in the 3 big cities.

I'll be using my Nikon lenses on it and maybe purchase a 55mm Sony lens for the convenience.
Just been told I'll have the A7s this week, actually 2, one I'm sending to be Astro modded and one for general photography, I also got a 55 lens a 14mm samyang and a gircular fisheye, I'm impatently waiting.

ameerat42
08-02-2015, 6:50pm
I just did a quick poll of the farmyard animals.

Results are here:

"Not I", said the duck/cat/dog.

I'm with them. :D

Ie, though I don't have a Canon or Nikon, I still wouldn't.

axle01
27-02-2015, 1:20pm
Just been told I'll have the A7s this week, actually 2, one I'm sending to be Astro modded and one for general photography, I also got a 55 lens a 14mm samyang and a gircular fisheye, I'm impatently waiting.

My 2 A7s cameras arrived and I sent one to America to be Astro modded and hopefully should have it back in about 2 weeks.

Sorry I bought the circular fisheye, it gives a circular image sure but it only gives you a image of about a 20c piece on a sticky notepad, so I have to crop top and sides to get a reasonable image.

axle01
10-03-2015, 8:44pm
My Sony A7s arrived back from America after being modified for Astro complete with 95 percent cloud cover and 2 cyclones off the Queensland coast.

MissionMan
11-03-2015, 5:55am
My Sony A7s arrived back from America after being modified for Astro complete with 95 percent cloud cover and 2 cyclones off the Queensland coast.

Nikon sold their soul to the weather gods. They are prepared to do anything to prevent people switching :D

Bionic eye
16-09-2015, 7:52am
Ive recently(In the last 2weeks) switched from a canon 550D to an A7II:-)

markdphotography
29-12-2015, 10:15am
I have just sold all my Canon gear and moved to Sony. Lots of reason for this move including the benefits of a Sony full frame sensor - a 10 mm is a real 10 mm and I love my wide angle view, sensor size = image size, technology - great images and mirrorless is the future of digital photography. ! actually bought 4 camera, A6000 for the quick and easy grab shot, A7 MkII for the more serious thoughtful photographic opportunities and theatre photography, an A7 and and a second hand A7R for conversion to IR. One camers system and menu for al occassions and the ability to auto shift from full frame to APS C depending on the lens.

Only beef is the poor battery performance as the mirrorlss uses more power running the internal scree. That can be partially overcome with some 1500 mah batteries I have found and a battery grip. My other beef is the suitability of Sny lenses for IR - most have hotspots when shooting IR so I have a few Sigma and Canon/Sony adapters.

On the way I tried the Olympus EM1 and EM5 but the small body size was uncomfortable in my hands (especially the EM5). The Oly also had a greater crop factor with the micro 4/3 sensor.

Just my two cents worth.