PDA

View Full Version : Got a 70d and having trouble with focus

owl7
12-11-2014, 2:03pm
Hi, Recently i got a Canon 70d and no matter what settings i use the images are soft and out of focus. I've only once for about 2 images got it to be in focus and when i re used the same settings it didn't help. I've tried different shutter speeds, different apertures, iso, and i still can't get things in focus. I've also tried center focus point and recompose, the center focus points and all focus points...still no luck. I wondered if my hands were shaking to much but there is no motion, just nothing in focus. I also tried different lenses. I'm guessing the camera isn't faulty because once i got focus so something i'm doing is wrong...but what?

ameerat42
12-11-2014, 3:01pm
Pls post a 2ple of such offending images with EXIF data intact so we may try to see what's happening.
Am.

Langers
12-11-2014, 3:02pm
Ah, So many questions.... Ok, where to start? Are you using an existing lens? Is it new also? What settings are you using? If shooting handheld are you shooting with a shutter speed at or above 1/250th second? Do you have a tripod? if so try that... If not put the rig on a table and take a shot of something, anything, it does not have to be an interesting subject, kitchen cupboards are fine, see if that works? Try Manually focusing the lens and see if that makes a difference?

Take a shot and post it up with what settings you are using, that will give us a better starting point. The more information you can give us the more we can help. Pretty sure we have all been there at some stage.

owl7
12-11-2014, 4:22pm
Ah, So many questions.... Ok, where to start? Are you using an existing lens? Is it new also? What settings are you using? If shooting handheld are you shooting with a shutter speed at or above 1/250th second? Do you have a tripod? if so try that... If not put the rig on a table and take a shot of something, anything, it does not have to be an interesting subject, kitchen cupboards are fine, see if that works? Try Manually focusing the lens and see if that makes a difference?

Take a shot and post it up with what settings you are using, that will give us a better starting point. The more information you can give us the more we can help. Pretty sure we have all been there at some stage.
To answer what you asked: it is existing lenses, the canon 100mm 2.8 macro, the canon 70-300 IS 4-5.6 and the canon 17-40mm L lens...all don't have in focus. It is handheld and i have tried ranges from 1/125 to 1/1000. I will post a image in a minute, first i will go try a shot with the tripod. I usually don't use a tripod because it is a pain to carry everywhere. I will try photographing something in the house with and without the tripod.

- - - Updated - - -

Pls post a 2ple of such offending images with EXIF data intact so we may try to see what's happening.
Am.
ok, i will do so in just a minute.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, i tried with a tripod and it is better(a tiny bit so it could just be a coincidence) but not what i assume it should be. I will include the whole photo for reference but i will also have the crop showing where i focused. I've seen photos with this camera that are sharp as, they don't look like this. So, i know it's me.

Mary Anne
12-11-2014, 9:44pm
These images are taken with the 70-300 IS 4-5.6, wondering if you are to close when shooting these I think the minimum focal distance is 1.5 mt.

Mark L
12-11-2014, 9:44pm
Did you have IS turned off since these photos where taken using a tripod?
Has any sharpening been done in PP?

ricktas
12-11-2014, 9:46pm
Also, why are you using ISO 640? These shots should be able to be taken at ISO 100. ISO 640 is starting to show noise and a lower ISO will give you cleaner result.

owl7
13-11-2014, 6:20pm
These images are taken with the 70-300 IS 4-5.6, wondering if you are to close when shooting these I think the minimum focal distance is 1.5 mt.
Nope, i was on my verandah looking out at a tree around 6 meters away.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you have IS turned off since these photos where taken using a tripod?
Has any sharpening been done in PP?
No, i didn't have it turned off..no sharpening that is just converted to jpeg thats it. And the 2nd one was cropped to show.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, why are you using ISO 640? These shots should be able to be taken at ISO 100. ISO 640 is starting to show noise and a lower ISO will give you cleaner result.
Hi, i used iso 640 because i was under shade of all the trees...when i do bird photography here that is the case. I did try 100 today and most my images were better but i didn't realize i had to stick to iso 100 for a good image.

bricat
14-11-2014, 6:59am
I wear glasses and have trouble with manual focus. Try auto focus to see if that improves your quality? cheers Brian

ricktas
14-11-2014, 7:28am
Hi, i used iso 640 because i was under shade of all the trees...when i do bird photography here that is the case. I did try 100 today and most my images were better but i didn't realize i had to stick to iso 100 for a good image.

You do not have to stick to 100, but just remember that as you increase the ISO you introduce noise (graininess) to the results and that can have a detrimental effect on image quality.