PDA

View Full Version : any info on these lenses appreciated please

aussie girl
24-10-2014, 9:53pm
Hi everyone, some friends of ours are helping to run a charity shop and had these lenses donated, They would like to know what they may have come from. One of them I think might have been for a video camera but not sure about the other one. Any info would be very helpful.
Also any info on what in particular they are used for ie what sort of photography can you use them for.

ameerat42
24-10-2014, 9:54pm
What lenses, AG?

PS. OK, you've finished editing the post.

I have similar types for my old video camera. One is a wide (semi-fisheye) adapter and the other is a mild telephoto.
I can't make out the number on the wide adapter, maybe 0.42X, which means a focal length reduction to 42% of whatever you put it onto.
The telephoto should have a similar number, like 1.5X, 2.0X, etx. That will give the equivalent FL increase when attached to a lens.
These typically screw onto the filter thread of the video cameras. They should have a screw size, usually written something like:
52Φ, or 48Ø (circle with a slash through it) meaning 52 or 48 mm.

If you're looking to put a price on them, AND if they are in good condition (no scratches, fungus on inner elements, etc),
then it's fairly open, starting anywhere freom about $5 to $10 each. They are probably of limited use on modern video cameras,
as the optics are pretty general and may clash with good modern lenses. In fact, a couple I had also did this:( At the time, I paid about $20
for the wide-type adapter. (20 yrs ago.)

Am.

ricktas
25-10-2014, 7:02am
can you also show us the 'base' of the lenses? The bit where they connect to a camera, and from that we may be able to deduce what brand of camera they are designed to mount onto.

aussie girl
26-10-2014, 9:28pm
Thanks Rick, I will contact my friend and ask her to take another photo. Am I right in assuming that these are no good for a normal stills camera

ricktas
26-10-2014, 9:41pm
Most likely not, but they could possibly be connected using a plastic convertor that would let them operate, albeit in a manual and restricted mode as there doesnt appear to be an aperture ring on the lenses.

ameerat42
26-10-2014, 9:42pm
As Rick said, AG, you can try. It's a matter of trying on different cameras. Some may be OK, others not.
Am.

davidd
27-10-2014, 7:44am
It looks to me like these might be screw-on type lens additions, rather than actual lenses. They might screw on to the front of the standard lens to give a telephoto or wide view?