PDA

View Full Version : Wedding

MasterOfRoc
14-10-2014, 11:55pm
Not exactly sure where to put this, but a few months ago my brother asked me to be a photographer for his wedding.

I declined

After suggesting someone else, more appropriate and experienced, he asked me to hang around the background and take candids.

I'm sure there are wedding photographers amongst the users here, what would you suggest I do, from a pro's perspective?

Sure there'll be plenty of other family members with point-and-shoot is trying to catch at the moment themselves, would I be any more in the way that they would?

Obviously my number one priority is to stay out of the professionals way, especially considering that they're being paid good money to get it right.

Did I do the right thing in declining initially? (Never shot a wedding)
Should I decline the second request as well?

jev
15-10-2014, 12:08am
He is your borther. Should you not rather enjoy the party instead of playing photographer?

MasterOfRoc
15-10-2014, 12:18am
He is your borther. Should you not rather enjoy the party instead of playing photographer?

From that perspective, It honestly wouldn't bother me.

feathers
15-10-2014, 12:38am
I suppose only you can make that decision on the last question, but can understand the responsibility and pressure of being the main shooter, so if you didn't think you were experienced enough to handle that, then you made the right decision.
Just recently l was invited to a friends wedding who asked me to bring my camera if l wished, even though they had hired a pro.
Looking to learn more about portraiture, l took the camera.
What l did though was like your brother suggested, l put a wide angle lens on, then took shots of the bride and groom from a distance, incorporating other people in the shot, getting some of the surrounding scenery included, trying to catch the atmosphere of the day with out getting in the way of the pro.
The fact your brother asked you, seems that must be happy with your work.
Also, if they don't turn out, you have nothing to worry about, seeing that there's a pro taking the main shots.
l suppose your brother would like you to enjoy the wedding too, so l don't think he would want you to carry the camera all the time.
Hope that helps:)
Cheers.

Warbler
15-10-2014, 10:08am
From a wedding photographer's perspective (mine), the most annoying thing an amateur can do is follow me around all day and shoot over my shoulder - well almost the most annoying. I HAVE had someone stop me and want to repose a family shot.

I am entirely happy though with people who don't play wedding photographer, but go and get casual, candid shots somewhere where I am not. It is also my experience that these kinds of shots are usually better than the ones I can get because as soon as I (a stranger) point my big camera at them, they are like rabbits in a spotlight. They stop being themselves and try to pose for me. You will get some great shots of people being themselves.

My advice is go and do that. Don't try to build a portfolio, just get some great candids of people with their guards down enjoying themselves.

MasterOfRoc
15-10-2014, 11:54am
Reposing shots, been there before!

Done a team photo for our junior footy club, set it all up where I and the president were happy, then a parent came in and moved their child front and centre and took a shot... Thankfully I'd already taken the shot I was after

MasterOfRoc
15-10-2014, 11:55am
Thanks folks, reconfirmed what I expected to be the case!

ameerat42
15-10-2014, 1:15pm
Have a drink and take some Happy Schnapps:D

virgal_tracy
16-10-2014, 10:06am
Get in a position to take some alternate angle images. Stand in a position 90deg from where the paid photographer is. You will be in a position to get natural images as the bridal party won't be getting direction from you and won't realise that you are there.

CandidTown
16-10-2014, 12:51pm
Take your camera and shoot candids all night long.
But i suggest to stay away from the formals and group shots.
There must only be 1 photographer doing that. When you show up on the scene you will draw their attention away from the photographer and then he will REALLY work for his money; switching heads in photoshop of those who chose to look at YOU rather than him.

If you do hang around the pro, make sure you tell everyone to NOT pay attention to you at all. To take directions from the pro and ignore you alltogether.

J

MasterOfRoc
19-10-2014, 12:06pm
The photographer told me to shadow her, said she'll teach me the ropes.

She was great, I stayed out of her way, learnt a few things, and got some awesome shots...

The wedding went well, except for the part when they forgot the rings!!!

Crisis averted as the best man and bridesmaid gave up their engagement rings to cover the bases.... Meanwhile I done a mad dash to the house to pick up the proper rings

She was in hospital when they met with some women's issues, and my brother was in hospital with the clutch long after being crushed by a big like playing footy.

It was only appropriate that the wedding was filled with as much chaos as the way they met.

Mark L
20-10-2014, 7:56pm
^ good one.:)