PDA

View Full Version : Olympus OM-D E-M1 Version 2.0 firmware update

griffljg
17-09-2014, 8:31am
This morning I noticed that version 2.0 of the E-M1 firmware is available for downloading.

Just a bit of a warning:- All settings, with the exception of AF focus adjustments are reset.

Here are the changes: http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/ww/ud2/ENU/0001/1090/index20a.html

Mary Anne
20-09-2014, 1:56pm
Talking to one of the Olympus Reps at Photo Continental Mt Gravatt this morning and he said that will happen with every firmware update.
Even so it took me ages to get my camera back to the way it used to be :rolleyes:

davsv1
20-09-2014, 2:20pm
Actually I didn't mind having to reset everything, I have learnt a lot more about the EM1 and it was a good excuse to apply some of the new things to my settings. It didn't take at all long to re-set it up this time.

bcys1961
20-09-2014, 3:34pm
Talking to one of the Olympus Reps at Photo Continental Mt Gravatt this morning and he said that will happen with every firmware update.
Even so it took me ages to get my camera back to the way it used to be :rolleyes:

I think it only happens with the major upgrades like this from Ver 1 to Ver 2 . I did not lose any settings when upgrading from 1.2 to 1.3 etc....

It was a good chance to reacquaint myself with the menu options again .

davsv1
20-09-2014, 3:55pm
The Oly rep also said there would be a further update of version 2.0 on the 24th of this month to include the tethering function and some other small changes

griffljg
20-09-2014, 5:00pm
The Oly rep also said there would be a further update of version 2.0 on the 24th of this month to include the tethering function and some other small changes

I hope that doesn't mean I have to re-do the settings yet again.;)

davsv1
20-09-2014, 10:04pm
I don't think so, it should be a minor upgrade not major, but then....we will find out next week :)

arthurking83
21-09-2014, 11:55am

Most cameras in this price range have the ability to setup some favoured settings to a file for subsequent restoration.

Many Nikon cameras do this with a small file which gets stored on the memory card.

I don't know the Olympus system, but I just read up on it's ability to save some predetermined MySet settings, which I'm assuming that work in the same way.

I've noticed that Olympus gives you 4 separate MySet settings you can choose from(to save/restore) .. Nikon only gives you one Settings backup option.

Apologies if this is incorrect information, like I said, I don't know the Olympus system .. so I'm not sure if these MySet settings are simply memory banks, or saved camera settings.... of which there could be a subtle difference.

The point is tho, if you can save these settings to an external source(ie. like a memory card), then restoring these settings to the camera after an effective reset should make the process of restoring the camera to your preferred settings a lot easier.

Hope this helps.

bcys1961
21-09-2014, 1:27pm
Most cameras in this price range have the ability to setup some favoured settings to a file for subsequent restoration.

Many Nikon cameras do this with a small file which gets stored on the memory card.

I don't know the Olympus system, but I just read up on it's ability to save some predetermined MySet settings, which I'm assuming that work in the same way.

I've noticed that Olympus gives you 4 separate MySet settings you can choose from(to save/restore) .. Nikon only gives you one Settings backup option.

Apologies if this is incorrect information, like I said, I don't know the Olympus system .. so I'm not sure if these MySet settings are simply memory banks, or saved camera settings.... of which there could be a subtle difference.

The point is tho, if you can save these settings to an external source(ie. like a memory card), then restoring these settings to the camera after an effective reset should make the process of restoring the camera to your preferred settings a lot easier.

Hope this helps.

The MYSET presets , you can have 4 , allow you to save a predetermined setup for quickly reconfiguring the camera. Once you store settings as a MYSET you allocate it to a button you don't use often ( i.e. I store on the video record button as I never use that for video) . You can't store them to a card and you lose them when this major upgrade is done , unfortunately.

davsv1
21-09-2014, 3:28pm
The MYSET presets , you can have 4 , allow you to save a predetermined setup for quickly reconfiguring the camera. Once you store settings as a MYSET you allocate it to a button you don't use often ( i.e. I store on the video record button as I never use that for video) . You can't store them to a card and you lose them when this major upgrade is done , unfortunately.
You can also save them to a position on the mode dail which is what I do since i don't use iauto, picture story, art filters etc, saves the buttons for other things which I prefer. And no they can not be saved to a sd card of such for restoration, a lot of people complain about that.

arthurking83
21-09-2014, 5:06pm
..... You can't store them to a card and you lose them when this major upgrade is done , unfortunately.

Ah! .. yeah that is painful, and to be honest should be a simple feature for Olympus to implement.

Nikon kind of do this, but not in a fully featured manner. You can save the global camera config to a memory card.
This, of course, saves the memory banks as they currently are in the camera.
You can then save this small file to the PC for backup purposes(eg. if ever the memory card fails in some way) and rename it to something more understandable.
(of course if you go to use this renamed file on the camera again, it needs to be renamed back to the default format for the load feature to recognised it).

It'd be nice if manufacturers found a firmware format that they finally settled on, and didn't need to change with every change of season.
This way they could offer a feature that allowed you to save camera settings from one camera and upload easily to a new model and migrate to your next camera from the manufacturer .. rather than have us go through all those menus manually again.

I suppose Nikon's system of saving the camera setup is in part a small step on this sort of path .. you can load one specific camera model setup onto another of the same model camera.
You can't load the saved file onto another type of model .. no matter how close they are in model type(ie. D300/D300s or D800/D800E) .. only exact same models.

leanneqld
12-10-2014, 12:31pm
If I don't upgrade to v2.0 and there's a new update after v2.0 can I just get the newest update and NOT get v2.0? Does anyone know?

davsv1
13-10-2014, 1:14pm
If I don't upgrade to v2.0 and there's a new update after v2.0 can I just get the newest update and NOT get v2.0? Does anyone know?
Any new update will include version 2 in it.
Why do you not want ver 2 ?

Ross the fiddler
24-10-2014, 11:40pm
I haven't been around for a long time, but I've had my E-M1 since the end of May (when there was a $300 cash back offer) & the E-M5 in 2012. The firmware 2.0 for the E-M1 has brought a few nice improvements as well as features & is worthwhile updating to.