PDA

View Full Version : SanDisk today unveiled the world’s highest capacity SD card -- half a tera byte

Kym
15-09-2014, 3:32pm
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2607184/sandisk-announces-worlds-highest-capacity-sd-card-512gb.html

SanDisk today unveiled what it calls the world’s highest capacity SD card -- more than half a terabyte.

The new SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I memory card comes with up to 512GB of capacity and is being marketed at videographers who record at 4K (3840x2160p) resolution and users of high-speed burst-mode photography.

The Extreme Pro SD card has read/write speeds of 95MB/s and 90MB/s, respectively.

"4K Ultra HD is an example of a technology that is pushing us to develop new storage solutions capable of handling massive file sizes," Dinesh Bahal, SanDisk's vice president of product marketing, said in a news release.

The new SD card represents a 1,000-fold increase over SanDisk's first 512MB SD card, which was released in 2003.

The 512GB SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I card is designed to meet the speed needed to support 4K Ultra HD video capture. The card has a maximum write performance of 90MB/s and a read speed of up to 95MB/s.

The card is rated to operates in temperatures ranging from -13 to 185 degrees Fahrenheit, SanDisk said. The SD card is also water proof, shock proof, and x-ray proof.

Along with 512GB, the SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS-I SDHC/SDXC memory cards are available in capacities of 256GB and 128GB. The 512GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I card will be available for $799.99.

The price will come down.