PDA

View Full Version : Details on the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports

Kym
07-09-2014, 5:51pm
http://sigma-rumors.com/2014/09/sigma-150-600mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-sports-additional-details/

The new Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM belongs to the Sports category of the Global Vision line.

Seeing a new telephoto zoom lens is not surprising (http://sigma-rumors.com/2014/08/latest-expectations-photokina/), but we were not expecting an exact match to Tamron’s lens in terms of range and aperture. Although the Sigma lens is not any faster, the company chose to go higher end on a few aspects, targeting professionals. This is why the lens is included in the Sports category, and not Contemporary.
More information is coming on the new 1.4× and 2× teleconverters as well.

Highlights

The lens is larger and heavier than the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 due to bigger glass elements.
It features weather sealing.
AF and OS have been optimized (see below).

Cage
14-09-2014, 5:12pm
Now on the Sigma website.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/150-600mm-f5-63-dg-os-hsm-s

And the first price pointer per Staticice..... $2299.00

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=Sigma+150-600&spos=3

Be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Tamron. My gut feeling is that the sharpest lens I own is the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro.

Cage
14-09-2014, 7:06pm
The rumour, as per Kym's post, is now official !

I am hanging out to see how it stacks up against the similarly specced Tamron 150-600mm, hopefully with real world comparisons.

At twice the price it will need to be something out of the box to motivate me to switch my order.

arthurking83
16-09-2014, 10:30pm

At twice the price it will need to be something out of the box to motivate me to switch my order.

Note that this could be the price of the S(Sport) model, as it is the more expensive of the two lenses.

The C(Contemporary) version will be made to a price .. and hence more likely to be priced along the lines of the Tammy.
Most likely just a tad more to begin with, but will .... as sure as climates will change ... come down in price to reasonable levels at the very low $1K mark(hopefully lower).

Cage
18-09-2014, 12:18pm
Sigma have just confirmed the price of the Sport model at $US1999.00.

The C model seems to be a down specced version with 20 elements in 14 groups as opposed to the S's 24 elements in 16 groups and probably without the trick coatings.

The overview on both models from the Sigma website:

The 'C' version:

The Sigma 150-600mm 5-6.3 DG HSM OS Contemporary was created around the concept of maximum portability meets utmost image quality in a variable aperture hyper-telephoto zoom lens. Light weight and compact, this s zoom can handle any long-reach photographic situation one may encounter. This 150-600mm Contemporary boasts updated Sigma technology such as a quiet and optimized Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) and a new Optical Stabilizer (OS) with an accelerometer for improved panning photography both vertically and horizontally, essential for birding, wildlife and motor photography. The Sigma 150-600 Contemporary also touts a new zoom lock switch that can be locked at any focal length and a new manual override (MO) switch is incorporated for improved focusing control. Working with the Sigma USB dock, this lens allows for maximum customization such as firmware updates and adjustments to the focus limiter, AF speed and OS view.

The 'S' version:

Designed and executed for the most demanding types of photography, the Sigma 150-600mm 5-6.3 DG HSM OS Sports lens is the new standard for telephoto zooms. Boasting 2 FLD glass elements (performance equal to fluorite) and 3 SLD glass elements, the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport produces incredibly sharp images y through the entire zoom range. Chromatic aberration is controlled at the long end of the focal length through the optimized design of the glass elements and a dust and splash proof construction ensures a high degree of durability. An updated optical stabilizer (OS) features an accelerometer for improved panning photography both horizontally and vertically, essential for birding, wildlife and motorsports photography. The Sigma 150-600 Sports also touts a new zoom lock switch that can be locked at any focal length and a new manual override (MO) switch is incorporated as an option which is activated by rotating the focus ring while using the autofocus. This state-of-the-art lens is equipped with advanced Sigma technology including an optimized, quieter AF, water/oil repellent coating on front and rear elements and Mount Conversion service compatibility. As with all Sport line lenses, the Sigma 150-600 works with the Sigma USB dock for maximum customization allowing for firmware updates and adjustments to the focus limiter, AF speed and OS view.

Both models are listed as being USB Dock compatible although it appears the 'C' version has less functionality.

I'll be most interested to see how the two compare side by side.

Aushiker
29-09-2014, 10:54am
http://youtu.be/ZD9nxb7CNnM

Andrew