PDA

View Full Version : Camera protection when in 4wd vehicle

Margaret
07-09-2014, 5:40pm
I would appreciate some advice about how best to store dslr camera and lenses when travelling in 4 wd vehicle. I have a pelican case with thick foam, but I am wondering whether the case would be ok stored on the floor of our LandRover defender. There is only rubber mats on the floor and I'm not sure whether the vibrations would penetrate the case. Not sure if there will be space on the rear seat or rear of vehicle to locate the pelican case.

I'm sure that some of you are 4wd enthusiasts, so would appreciate suggestions.

Margaret:)

Ionica
08-09-2014, 9:24am
Just a personal preference, but I would put it on the seat if possible, or at least have foam under it, for added security. I don't know if this would affect you, but with gear stored at the back of the vehicle, it was surprising how fine bulldust worked its way in. The camera bag was placed inside a garbage bag because of this. Hope this is useful. Enjoy the trip.:)

ameerat42
08-09-2014, 10:04am
A goodish cushion under that case, Margaret?

PS: I use an ~30x30cm cushion under the camera bag on the floor of the car behind the front seat.
Have done it for ages. No ill effects on gear noticed.
Am.

arthurking83
08-09-2014, 11:00pm
I've driven over some fairly badly corrugated roads over the years(Anne Beadell Hwy almost certainly the worst in Aus!) .. sometimes camera bag on the back seat, other times camera bag in the rear load area of my small-mid sized wagon.
Suspension on the hopeless Frontera is not as supple as a Landy is(I used to own an old Rangie for years) and the car bounces about like a 2yo full as a goog on Red Bull and Wonka bars! ..
(possibly worst suspension than my Rodeo dual cab ute had!)

Camera bag is just a typical backpack with no extra padding, just as they come standard.
Still no ill effects after all these years.

I think it depends on the tracks/roads you expect to travel on.

If you're traveling on badly corrugated roads like Gibb River rd, or AB Hwy, or the Old Ghan track north of Finke(that I can remember as some of the worst), then caution is a good thing.

If you're still concerned about it on the floor, then maybe tie it down. If you're carrying passengers, then doing something like that could probably be vital anyhow .. you don't want luggage bouncing all over the place and into people.

wmphoto
08-09-2014, 11:34pm
I've never really worried about it. Gear is in a Vanguard case and it just gets put where ever there is room. Never had any issues and have travelled on some rough roads.

ricktas
09-09-2014, 6:51am
The camera bag was placed inside a garbage bag because of this. Hope this is useful. Enjoy the trip.:)

Just be careful doing this if there are temperature extremes day and night as can occur in the outback. Condensation can build up inside the bag and moisture and camera gear do not mix well.

bricat
09-09-2014, 8:17am
Keep it on the floor if possible. Can't fall any further. I carry my gear in a dedicated camera/gear bag and have not had any problem. For places like Gibb River Road to El Questro Station tyre pressure/speed is just as important for a smooth ride. Also important is security. My sister had her vehicle broken into and gear stolen at a popular tourist site. in WA. You know the sites where you have to walk a kilometre or so to see the site, leaving your vehicle behind. They smashed a window (more wait for a side window to arrive) and stole gear. Sorry for the war and piece but it pays to be aware. cheers Brian
PS Take photo's (I phone) of all vehicles at lonely tourist sites.

Speedway
09-09-2014, 11:42am
Over the years of traveling in 4WD's (that's all I've had since 1979) I have done nothing special with my cameras. The backpack with most of my gear in goes anywhere it is assessable, the cameras/lenses that I am using sit on the passenger seat (front or back depending on if I have passengers or not) wrapped in a blanket or sleeping bag with clothing/bedding packed in front so they can't fall onto the floor, I have never had a problem and I have traveled through a lot of steep, rocky high country tracks as well as corrugated desert tracks over those years. In my old Ute the camera bag was loaded into the old 2 door fridge bolted to the tray this sealed out the dust well and the freezer section made a great esky.
Cheers
Keith.
PS Agree with Rick re plastic bags.

nhoj
09-09-2014, 11:48am
If you have it on the seat make sure it is secure. Once I was in a hurry and placed my 300 zoom, in its case, on the back seat on it ended up on floor. Broke focusing mechanism.