PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 200-400 f4 VRI with 17EII

mongo
13-07-2014, 10:44pm
Mongo has had this lens for a while but not used it virtually at all so has decided to sell it. Someone is coming over tomorrow keen to look and take it home if he likes it.
Nice day today so went to the local park and bid a possible farewell to the 200-400. So, oddly , today Mongo did stuff he never tried before with the lens. Not sure how it would go with 20EIII but would be happy enough with 17 EII. Mongo has previously tried it with 14EII and its great with that.

So, some quick test shots with 17EII. Importantly, when Mongo saw the RAW results on his screen, he decided he would NOT process the images in the usual way. Instead, he would only do the slightest of exposure adjustment only if needed and NO sharpening at all or anything else. So, Converted from Raw to Tiff then reduced in size and converted to Jpegs for posting. The results even shocked Mongo.......:eek: Hope he is doing the right thing

about 40%crop
about 50% crop
about 90-100% crop
about only 20%crop

martycon
17-09-2014, 10:34pm
MOngo, if you have a better lens than this, by all means sell it, and I am sure the new owner will love it.

mongo
19-09-2014, 12:50pm
MOngo, if you have a better lens than this, by all means sell it, and I am sure the new owner will love it.

thanks. Mongo has sold it. The new owner does love it. Mongo does miss it a little.

Margaret
25-07-2015, 6:53pm
These are incredibly sharp shots Mongo. Does this lens go with cropped sensor Nikons? Mine is 7100.

arthurking83
25-07-2015, 7:07pm
.... Does this lens go with cropped sensor Nikons? Mine is 7100.

with some very rare exceptions, all Nikon lenses fit all Nikon bodies.

The thing to be mindful of, is that if the lens has DX as part of it's naming nomenclature, then the amount of light it projects is limited to some degree, and is optimised for use on the cropped sensor bodies..

eg. there are two 35mm f/1.8 lenses in Nikon's lineup. One of them has the term Dx in it's name the other doesn't.

The Dx one obviously is made for Dx sensors .. but still fits all Nikon cameras, even Fx cameras. You get vignetting in the corners, or you can set the camera up in crop mode to cut that section of the image out.

note that with the rare exceptions, some of these older lenses are harder to come by.

All of them will have the term 'non Ai' listed somewhere in the selling pitch.
Note that these lenses are old, manual only lenses. So you'd only find them as a second hand item.

graham68ktm
25-07-2015, 10:19pm
Nice pics Mongo , the 3rd one is my favourite even thou im not to keen on those little buggers !

mongo
15-08-2015, 6:11pm
These are incredibly sharp shots Mongo. Does this lens go with cropped sensor Nikons? Mine is 7100.

sorry Mongo did not see your post until today. the short answer is - yes. However, Arthur has given a great detailed answer.