PDA

View Full Version : Best way to convert colour to monchrome?

enseth
02-07-2014, 12:17pm
I'm after recommendations for converting colour to monochrome. My recent efforts using desaturation produced rather flat, grey photos. Suggestions are most appreciated.

fillum
02-07-2014, 1:20pm
What pp software do you have enseth?

As you've found, desaturation alone often results in a fairly flat image. However desaturation followed by a boost in contrast sometimes gives a reasonable (although usually not the best) result. I sometimes use this as a quick way of determining whether an image is suited to mono conversion.

I generally do conversions in LightRoom. It has a panel for B&W which has sliders that allow you to determine how each colour is converted. For example blue objects in the original can be made to look either light or dark in the converted image depending on how you position the "blue" slider (e.g. to lighten or darken a sky). LR also has various mono presets which sometimes offer a good starting point. (You can get third-party plug-ins as well, such as the Nik stuff). Additionally in LR you can also add split-toning effects which can look quite cool in some instances (although strictly speaking no longer "monochrome" of course).

I think the conversion in PS is similar but I haven't used it since recently upgrading. (My previous version - PS Elements v4 - didn't have a 'Convert...' function so needed to be handled in a few manual steps).

To get the most out of monochrome images they sometimes need to be "dodged and burned" at specific parts of the image. There are various ways of achieving this - it might be worth searching for some online tutes if interested.

Cheers.

agb
02-07-2014, 1:28pm
If you are working in photoshop the b/w adjustment layer allows you to select the tones for each individual colour and gives quite good results. A gradient mask is also a good method.
More ways than one to skin the cat in photoshop.

ameerat42
02-07-2014, 3:31pm
Enseth. I think you'll find that there is no "best" way, if you mean a single, effective way to convert to B/W.
It will depend on your starting image, and what you want to achieve in the conversion.

It is often loosely bandied that such and such an image would look good in B/W. I think that may raise some unachievable
hopes that there is a generally straightforward process involved.

Well, all I can offer is to use some editing program to split your image into its component RGB channels, setting them to be viewed
as greyscale images. Select one or a combination of them for a final result.

In Photoshop, this is done via the Channels palette and the "Split Channels" command.
Am.

Brigitte
02-07-2014, 4:20pm
Results do depend on the image and the method that works on one image may not be as effective on another. Trial and error and more trial and trial and error. Keep a record of what you do and use it as a guide when work on other images.
Apply either curves or levels when you have completed the conversion to give the image a bit more punch. Keep trying and have fun!

arthurking83
02-07-2014, 9:51pm
What camera/file type are you working with?

enseth
03-07-2014, 7:50am
Thanks for the replies people. Some further research yesterday revealed just how many different options there are for monochrome convertions. I have both Lightroom & PS so I'll have a play with those looking closely at Channels.

What camera/file type are you working with?
I have a Sony a99 and usually work with Jpegs.

agb
03-07-2014, 11:22am
Thanks for the replies people. Some further research yesterday revealed just how many different options there are for monochrome convertions. I have both Lightroom & PS so I'll have a play with those looking closely at Channels.

I have a Sony a99 and usually work with Jpegs.

You should learn to shoot RAW if that is available in the Sony a99. Just has more information to start with.

arthurking83
04-07-2014, 5:39pm
OK, if it were Nikon I could have suggested a few other options.

But, as I've have a quick look at Lr's ability .. I'd say just start with their pre loaded monochrome options!
Of course that's just a starting point, which I have to say is one aspect of Lr that I liked a bit.